Friday, May 31, 2013

Non-Fiction Reading with a Touch of Ethics (Armchair BEA Day 4)

G'day, y'all! Another Armchair BEA day here. I've had so much fun, I can't even tell you.  I've been doing a lot of exploring via Twitter and the main Armchair BEA page, and I've found so many great, new-to-me blogs this week. But more on that in the wrap-up post later!

On Ethics...

Be transparent.

Ethical issues pop up from time to time, and BOY can they ripple through the blogosphere. After 10 years of teaching others what constitutes plagiarism, I don't do it. I try my best to give credit where credit is due, and if I overlook something I welcome the other party to call me on it. Fixes will be made immediately!

I also openly give credit to authors/publishers for sending me books when/if I review them. I accept far fewer ARCs these days than I used to, but there's a little credit line at the end of every review post.

On Non-Fiction...

I'm a moooody reader. And it's following my readerly urges, something I've coined "free range reading," that keeps me from going into slumps so often. One of the big tricks is to change up the type of reading I do from time to time. Admittedly, non-fiction gets left out in the cold in favor of fiction most of the time; however, non-fiction can be one of those refreshing reads that gets me back on track when I need a change of pace.

In fact, I'm reading some non-fiction right now!


Creepy cover, eh???

Without further ado, here are some non-fiction pics that will appeal to bibliophiles and some general selections that I found memorable.




  • Stiff, by Mary Roach - an all-time favorite non-fiction. Scary and funny and eye-opening. Never reviewed because I read it before I blogged. 
  • Tout Sweet: Hanging Up My Heels for a New Life in France, by Karen Wheeler - the chick-lit of non-fiction. Light, airy, foodie, travel, goodness. 

The Backyard Homestead, edited by Carleen Madigan and The Urban Homestead by Kelly Coyne - I couldn't not include some food/green/grown-your-own type books! I enjoyed both of these, though their application to your life probably depends on how much space you have to work with. 

What are some of your favorite non-fiction books? I could always use a few more recommendations. 





29 comments:

  1. Okay, your posts are just /dangerous/ for me. My poor TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, mine has grown quite a bit the last few days, too. One of the (cool!) side effects of Armchair BEA. hehe

      Delete
  2. Monika is right! Between yesterday and today, I've found so many books to add, this is killing me. I love Mary Roach to pieces and Stiff is my favorite (though I haven't read Gulp yet). Quiet, Please sounds right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shannon, I love Stiff, but truthfully, her other books haven't been as successful for me. Spook was just meh, and I lost interest in Bonk. :((( Tell me what I'm doing wrong! lol

      Quiet, Please was a lot of fun, and it's one I never heard much about from other bloggers, which is a shame.

      Delete
  3. "Be transparent" is my best blogging advice too (and what I recommended in my post today). It's not that complicated, but deviating from that one principal -- tell people things they may want to know -- gets people in trouble all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen sister! It seems overly simplified, but it's really just a good rule to blog by.

      Delete
  4. I am a moody reader too, which is why I have four books on my currently reading list. I like to switch around when I'm not feeling in the mood for my current read. I'm going to have to check out your non-fiction list, especially Backyard Homestead and Urban Homestead. We're amateur gardeners over here and we totally love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimberly, I hear ya! I have added an unusually large number of books to my TBR lately and I know it's just going to make me antsy having TOO MANY choices.

      I hope you enjoy the Homestead books if you get around to them!

      Delete
  5. Love the recommendations for bibliophiles Andi, I would secretly love to be a librarian so I'm sure I will enjoy the ones you mention :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam, they are awesome books. Especially This Book is Overdue! That's one I'd like to see more bloggers tackling.

      Delete
  6. Every time I see Stiff mentioned on a blog, I think "I should read that." Maybe one of these days I will LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should Wendy! She handles a touch topic with such heart and humor. Loved!

      Delete
  7. I *have* to read some Roach!! I'm wild about nonfiction and the fact that I haven't read her is just sad.

    Another bibliophile nonfiction pick: The World's Strongest Librarian!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! I'm shocked, Jennifer! I think you'll totally love her. And I definitely need to get round to The World's Strongest Librarian. Looks like something I'd like.

      Delete
  8. I love "free range reading". You mentioned that to me on Twitter yesterday, and I keep thinking about how perfect that phrase is.

    I think I'm going to have to take a look at those library/librarian books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! I adopted that as my motto a while back, and it's served me well so far! :)

      I hope you loooove the library/'brarian books if you get 'round to them.

      Delete
  9. Oh ya! Mary Roach. I keep forgetting that I really want to read something by her. I really enjoy non-fiction but tend to mostly listen to it. For some reason it's easier for me to pay attention to the more facty type stuff than to read it (and easier to listen to that than listen to fiction). And yes re: ethics. I wonder if some of the duh factor comes from having to teach it ad nauseam?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see that. I should try listening to more of it! lol

      And I think you're right on about the teaching.

      Delete
  10. When I was younger I used to always think in order for a book to be non-fiction it had to be dull and read like a textbook. I think your selections prove that this is so not the case!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emma! I had that same misconception, and I'm SO GLAD to be wrong!

      Delete
  11. I need to read more nonfiction. I love it when I do, I just have to actively make myself do it.

    Mary Roach is teh bomb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Heatheroo. Or the mood has to be overwhelmingly right.

      Love Mary!

      Delete
  12. Can't believe I haven't read the Conroy yet; I love his fiction!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't read any of those!!! Stop mentioning cool titles, plz. Am swamped, here.

    The transparency thing . . . I occasionally forget to mention that when I review, but I never mean to leave it out. Fortunately, I do mention where they come from when books arrive, so I feel like I've at least gotten my FTC obligation taken care of. Hopefully. I try.

    Like you, I need to be able to mix up my reading so I try not to stick to any particular genre. I discovered I too easily burn out. Am a little perplexed as to how I'm going to do a decent job of researching WWII with my burnout problem. So far, I'm just mixing in WWII books with the ARCs but eventually I will probably have to give up review books completely if I really want to challenge myself to write a book set during a time period I don't know enough about.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish I'd put my thoughts on blogger ethics as succinctly as you did :)! I think nonfiction serves a similar purpose for me as it does for you, and I find I really need it in my reading mix now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know that bloggers can go overboard with the cartoony outrage when someone steps over an ethical line -- you know? -- but I also like it that the book blogosphere as a whole considers ethics to be really important. You know? I like that, I like being part of a community like that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I don't think I've heard of any of your non-fiction picks before!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I read Overdue a few years back. It was really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sigh, I haven't read ANY of those NFs! but I want to, so yes to SOMEDAY. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik