Saturday, May 25, 2013

Relish: My Life in the Kitchen by Lucy Knisley

It ain't no joke, and it ain't no secret...I adore Lucy Knisley and her work. I fell in love with her first book, French Milk, and the love just kept right on rolling -- like a big, beautiful aged cheese -- right on into her new book, Relish: My Life in the Kitchen. 

This is where I got the cheese inspiration, FYI. I had to share an actual beautiful enthralling foodilicious page with you. I'd be a horrible person if I didn't. 

As the subtitle says, this book is all about Knisley's relationship with food growing up. Her mom was a chef, caterer and Admirer of Food. Her dad is a gourmand. Loves to eat it, doesn't cook it. And this illustrated memoir contains episodes from Knisley's life and how she related to food as she was coming up. Each chapter ends with an illustrated recipe. 

I've come to a major conclusion: there is nothing cuter than illustrated food. I got a taste (ha!) of this in French Milk, but Relish really seals the deal. While I love gazing upon beautiful food photography, there is something equally as charming and alluring about the illustrated ingredients Knisley introduces to the reader. I was tantalized. 

I also love Knisley's laid back, quirky personality which shines in this book. See below. 

As other bloggers have mentioned, I also like the fact that Knisley takes food seriously, she savors it, but she's also forthright enough to admit that while she was raised on the Best of the Best, she still digs junk food here and there. She's not pretentious, she's just awesome. 

Want to learn more about Lucy Knisley??? Well, heckfire, she did an ILLUSTRATED INTERVIEW here on this very blog back in 2010. I think it's worth a click if you have some time. 

Weekend Cooking is hosted by Beth Fish Reads.

Pub. Date: April 2013 
Publisher: First Second
Format: E-book
ISBN-13: 9781596436237
Source: Purchased by moi!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

Images by Freepik