Monday, May 13, 2013

The Semester is Over! BOOK PARTY!!!

My teaching duties are officially complete and summer is here! I taught a whopping (stupid) five online classes during the spring semester, and I am so stinkin' glad to be done. I don't have any teaching obligations over the summer -- just my day job in PR. What does this mean? Less money to pay student loans and more time to read!!! It's almost win-win. 

So what's shaking in my reading life, you ask? Ask. Please? 

I am currently reading Orphan Train, by Christina Baker Kline, for my Girls Night Out book club. I have mixed feelings about it on a couple of fronts, and this has little to do with the book.

1. I'm sick and frackin' tired of books that bounce back and forth between a historical narrator and a contemporary narrator. The last several book club choices we've read have followed this format. I've never been a huge fan, so this many in a row is really rubbing on my nerves. 

2. I like this book when I'm in the act of reading it, but I have a harder time making myself pick it up. Maybe that will change now that I have more free time. 

What would I prefer to be reading??? Well, let me show you. 

Yeah buddy!!! As big a fan as I am of skinny books (they make me feel like I'm finishing/accomplishing a lot), I think I'm in the mood for a book that is not of the dueling narrator variety and which is sink-intoable. It's a word. Sorta. What that really means is that I'm interested in the idea of a book that is suitable for immersing myself in. 
At the heart of this panoramic, multidimensional narrative is the compelling struggle of a young woman to lift her body and soul out of the gutter. Faber leads us back to 1870s London, where Sugar, a nineteen-year-old whore in the brothel of the terrifying Mrs. Castaway, yearns for escape to a better life. Her ascent through the strata of Victorian society offers us intimacy with a host of lovable, maddening, unforgettable characters. 
And this one has been around for years. I can't believe I haven't read it already. 

Things I Need to Review:

Help me out, peeps. Which book should I review first? 

OH! And how could I forget??? I need to review this film.

Hosted by the awesome Sheila of BookJourney.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

Images by Freepik