Monday, June 03, 2013

Currently: The Non-Fiction Takeover

"Currently" format via Kim of Sophisticated Dorkiness.
Time: // 7:45AM
The scene: // Sitting at my desk, coffee in hand. 
Eating: // Just finished an Egg White Delight from McD's. The least of the evils.
Feeling: // Sad today. Found out late last night that a family member passed away. I'd visited on Saturday, so this made it seem all the more sudden, though we knew it was on the horizon. 
Reading: // Trying to finish Confessions of a Sociopath by M.E. Nelson. The content is fascinating, but the writing is quite repetitive, so I find myself skimming at times. Hoping to finish up today and start some of the other new non-fiction books on my stacks. 
Listening to: // BookTubers! Listening to this "book haul" video in the background. 
Blogging: // The ArmchairBEA fun last week really got my blogging mojo crankin', so I'm looking forward to doing more in the coming weeks! Summer is here, and I'm not teaching any online classes, so that frees up my time significantly. I'm also  totally in love with this new, vast BookTubing community that I discovered thanks to Brooke, so I see more video blogs in my future to supplement my writing here!
Promoting: // The Estella Project hosted by Estella Society. Right now we're voting for our summer Read-a-long book, and A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving is in the lead with 10 votes!!!
The Non-Fiction Takeover...

Non-fiction was one of our daily genre discussion topics for ArmchairBEA, and it seems that non-fiction is taking over my TBR all of a sudden. Between book club picks and books I'm generally excited about, non-fiction is taking the cake! All kinds of new acquisitions. 


On my immediate TBR: 

 


Naked, by David Sedaris, is the next pick for my in-person book club. We needed something light after several dark, moody books, so I suggested this one. I've read all of Sedaris's other books except for his newest, Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls. Very excited to be getting to this one. 
The Astronaut Wives Club, by Lily Koppel, came to me via an author pitch. I don't accept a lot of books from publishers or authors, but this one sounded too good to pass up. I read the first few pages on Friday night, and I had to make myself stop reading in order to go back and finish Confessions of a Sociopath. That bodes well!
The Whole Fromage, by Kathe Lison, sounds wonderfully quirky. It's all about French cheese!!! It's been a while since I read any food writing, so I'm really excited about this little gem. 
The Telling Room, by Michael Paterniti, is another cheese-related non-fiction. To any newbies reading this blog, I swear, I'm usually not this cheese-centric. It's just a happy accident. This is the book I know the least about, but a buddy passed along her ARC. Here's a short blurb: 
In the picturesque village of Guzmán, Spain, in a cave dug into a hillside on the edge of town, an ancient door leads to a cramped limestone chamber known as “the telling room.” Containing nothing but a wooden table and two benches, this is where villagers have gathered for centuries to share their stories and secrets—usually accompanied by copious amounts of wine. It was here, in the summer of 2000, that Michael Paterniti found himself listening to a larger-than-life Spanish cheesemaker named Ambrosio Molinos de las Heras as he spun an odd and compelling tale about a piece of cheese. An unusual piece of cheese. Made from an old family recipe, Ambrosio’s cheese was reputed to be among the finest in the world, and was said to hold mystical qualities. Eating it, some claimed, conjured long-lost memories. But then, Ambrosio said, things had gone horribly wrong. . . .

Paris: A Love Story, by Kati Marton, is a book I started reading at random before the last Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon. I was totally taken with it but I had some more reading obligations at the time, so I'm excited to get back to this emotional story.

What are you reading this week? Is your TBR teetering toward any particular genre? 

Hosted by Sheila of BookJourney!




35 comments:

  1. Ohhh The Astronaut Wives Club looks interesting!
    And I love David Sedaris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the cutest-designed non-fiction I've seen in a while, and it's absolutely fascinating. Well, the first few pages were, so maybe I should reserve judgement. lol

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry to hear about your loss.
    I also enjoyed the Armchair BEA last week- so much fun. Hope you enjoy your reading this week.
    Kerri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kerri.

      I am so looking forward to reading this week. I'm having one of those weeks where I want to read ALL the things at once.

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry to hear about your loss, Andi. My thoughts are with you and your family.

    Hope you enjoy all those wonderful non-fiction titles; I like the look of The Whole Fromage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate it, Sam.

      The Whole Fromage is seriously calling to me. I can't wait to finish Sociopath so I can immerse myself in cheese!

      Delete
  4. I definitely think it's important to add in some nonfiction to your reading! And seriously, love the photo app!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That app is SO NICE. Keeps me from having to spelunk in Photoshop! Ha!

      Delete
  5. All of your choices look great. I feel like I've been reading a lot of YA fiction lately. I'm currently reading Brave New World by Aldous Huxley and Forever in Blue by Ann Brashares.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rose! I've had more YA in my life lately than I usually do, and I see more on the horizon. It's nice to go off on reading "jags" from time to time. It helps change it up. How are you liking Brave New World? I read it in high school and loved the twistedness of it!

      Delete
  6. I am listening to David's Owl book now... so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, Sheila!!! I hope it's awesome!

      Delete
  7. I've rekindled my love for nonfiction this year and it's been awesome. I'm going to look into the books you have listed here as well as BookTubers. Sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fantastic, Kimberly! It's been a long time since I've read a lot of it, so it's nice to be getting into more non-fiction lately. I hope you find some BookTubers you like too!

      Delete
  8. So sorry to hear of your loss.

    I can't wait to see what you think of your cheese books!! I don't think I've ever read any sort of food-centric novel before.

    My TBR is all over the place, but I'm trying to focus on books I've had a long ass time. Plus, I'm doing a buddy read with an IRL friend next month. We're reading Lolita which I've never read before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate it, Brooke.

      I am so excited about the cheese books!!! I'm gonna start with The Whole Fromage since it looks like a quick read.

      I need to focus on books I've had a long ass time since it's about two thirds of them. lol And I hope you appreciate Lolita! I did (it sounds weird to say I enjoyed it).

      Delete
  9. I am so intrigued by the idea of "booktubers." I had no idea book videos were a thing, but now I want to figure out who is doing them and what makes them great.

    I love all the nonfiction on your stacks, really intriguing! And lots of cheese, yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, I can't believe the size of the BookTubing community! I don't know why I'm so surprised, but it's like a whole alien world no one told us about! lol

      I thought of you when I was drafting this one up. lol Yay non-fiction and CHEESE!

      Delete
  10. I usually try to throw in a few non-fiction reads each month. Some months are better than others...

    I think if someone is going to have a theme with their reading, cheese is the way to go! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya, Lindsey. I never thought of cheese as a big non-fic topic, but I love it!

      Delete
  11. I have to admit my TBR pile isn't teetering in any particular direction genre-wise...nope, it's just teetering. I think the whole stack is probably taller than I am at this point! And recommendations on books involving Paris and cheese aren't helping... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, mine is always teetering, Jen. Sad! Here's hoping you like the cheese books if you happen to get ahold of them. ;)

      Delete
  12. Sorry to hear about your family member Andi.

    I love nonfiction AND I love cheese! Yahoo!

    Booktubers have me feeling curious and interested but I'm afraid to even check them out. I do not need another addiction ;)

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate it, Jennifer.

      Yay for non-fic and cheese! And yes, the BookTubers are easily addictive, so be careful! :)

      Delete
  13. Sorry about your loss, Andi. I think losing someone is always a shock, no matter that you know it's coming.

    The Astronaut Wives Club looks fun. Will have to look into that. I read quite a mix, as you know -- plenty of NF thrown in. Recently, I've found it difficult to focus on nonfiction so I took a break from it but I'm hoping I'll be back in the swing of things, soon. I have several NF titles I need to get to.

    Cheeeeeese!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate it, Nancyroo. I think you're right. We're never really ready.

      The Astronaut Wives club looks awesome from the first 10 or so pages I read. I'm really excited to get back to it. I'm sort of fascinated with the whole "Mad Men" era, and this falls in line with that time period. I'm really curious to learn more about how these wives handled the day to day stresses of a NASA life and celebrity.

      Which NFs are you looking forward to reading soon?

      Delete
  14. I'm leaning towards zombies this week as I read Mira Grant's Newsflesh trilogy. They are big books though so it might take me a bit :) It sounds like you've got lots of good reading ahead of you! I've enjoyed Sedaris before but I haven't read that one.

    Sorry for your loss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Samantha, I can't wait to get back to Sedaris, but I'm sad that I'll be almost done with his work! I saved Naked in particular because I've heard it's one of his best.

      Enjoy your zombies this week!

      Delete
  15. Happy summer to you!

    I'm also not teaching this summer which has sparked my humble return to blogging.

    I'm excited to see the upsurge in nonfiction since it is a genre I find myself shying away from a lot even though I love it.

    I'm looking forward to seeing your reviews on the books you've listed here!

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy summer, Jennifer! And it's nice to have you blogging again. :)

      I also shy away from it if I'm not in the right mood, so I'm trying to take advantage of this reading mojo to read some more of it.

      Looking forward to reviewing these as I get to them!

      Delete
  16. Looking forward to your thoughts on Paris: A Love Story! I've seen that popping up here and there but don't know too much about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kerry! I went into it without knowing much, and it grabbed me right away. Now I just need to get back to it.

      Delete
  17. I'm so sorry for your loss Andi, but very glad that you had a chance to visit!

    LOVE Sedaris. Perfect choice for a light read.

    Next on my TBR: David Foster Wallace's "This is Water" Essay.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Andi, I'm so sorry for your loss. Sending you a big hug.
    Naked was my first Sedaris book - I remember I used to work in downtown Dallas and I'd ride the bus to work. Got lots of looks for the title and because I couldn't help but laugh out loud. I was at B&N the other day and read a page or two of his latest - can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The Astronaut Wives Club sounds pretty good. Hope you enjoy it. Sorry for your loss.
    Here is my Monday post.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik