Monday, June 17, 2013

Happy Whatcha Reading Monday!

My reading has been exceptional lately! For the last few years I've only managed to read 30 or so books per year. Given, I was going through lots of professional and personal changes, so it's not surprising. At the rate I'm reading now, I think I may be back to that 50-60 books range this year.

I'm not about the numbers. The last few years have taught me--better than ever--that quality is far more important than quantity. Looks like this year I might be up in quantity and maintaining a great quality, too. Win-win!



This past week I finished up The Whole Fromage, by Kathe Lison, and Glaciers, by Alexis M. Smith. I've drafted up posts that will go up Wednesday and Thursday this week, including video blog companions. I really can't say I liked one more than the other, because they were such different books, but both were really well-done and I enjoyed them immensely. Highly recommended.



This weekend I dug into The Crimson Petal and the White, by Michael Faber, and, wow. Just wow! So many despicable characters, so many bodily fluids. I'm only about 200 pages in, but I'm really impressed with Faber's writing, though, and how true this novel is to original Victorian fiction in phrasing and flavor. But turned up to 11!

I also hunkered down with Naked, by David Sedaris, for my upcoming book club meeting on June 27th. I'm about 160 pages into this one and Sedaris is funny, as always, but I almost wish I'd done this one on audio. It's been a long while since I've listened to any of his books, and I think hearing his reading really helps enhance the funny. I've laughed out loud many times reading this one, but it's just not quite the same.

Several books came into the house this past week. Perhaps I should hang my head in shame in light of yesterday's post about all the potentially awesome, unread books lounging on my shelves. However, they all look too darn good to worry about it for long.



The Bohemian Love Diaries: A Memoir by Slash Coleman arrived after the author reached out to me with a very nice e-mail. I'm looking forward to this one since I've been on such a non-fiction kick.

The Suicide Shop by Jean Teule was a recommendation from Mercy's Bookish Musings, and when I saw that it was on sale for $2.90 at B&N, I couldn't help myself. It's waiting on my Nook. A darkly-comic novel about a world that sucks so thoroughly that you can pop into the shop to end it all.

The Birth House by Amy McKay was another book on sale for an unbeatable price of $1.99. I couldn't resist after so many of you recommended this one when I solicited recs for books dealing with midwifery.

I think I'm most excited to read The Suicide Shop. It's a short little book, and should help keep my reading fresh while I'm plowing through "the Crimson chunkster."

How is your week starting out? 

Hosted by Sheila of BookJourney.



36 comments:

  1. Really, a whole arsenal of bodily fluids? uhm... Bohemian Love Diaries looks interesting.

    I'm glad you're having both quantity and quality this year, Andi :) Happy reading!

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, pretty much, Lexxie. lol

      Happy reading to you, too!

      Delete
    2. And all those bodily fluids made it good? :P

      Delete
    3. Well, the writing makes it good. The fluids make it shocking. Like turning traditional Victorian literature up by several degrees. I like it when authors remake something traditional into something borderline subversive.

      Delete
  2. Oooh, The Birth House seems like something I would totally love.

    Quality and quantity! You really can't ask for more :)

    Have a fabulous week dahhhling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks sooo goood, Jennifer! And you really can't. A happy reader is me.

      Delete
  3. Hahahhaha your description of the Crimson Petal and the White! Awesome. I have never listened to a Sedaris book, though I always enjoy when I hear an excerpt on NPR. His voice really adds a little something something! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you. That's really the only way there is to put it. AND OMG! You must go forth and listen to Me Talk Pretty One Day!

      Delete
  4. The Bohemian Love Diaries sounds awesome!! I am going to have to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Tag #bohoxo on Twitter if you get around to it!

      Delete
  5. I have Faber's chunky book too - but then I saw a negative review and I'm like urm not sure if it was for me, so I'd be interested in your final thoughts! It is great you are in a reading mood - & I firmly believe having your significant other who understands your love for reading totally helps in that regard. When I'm reading, my husband calls that "ignoring my family." So lovely. Here's my bookish post!
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far so good, Marie. I'll keep you posted. And yes, I think the signif other helps a lot. Sometimes I feel guilty reading (am I ignoring my family?) but there's a lot of stopping and starting.

      Delete
  6. I've got The Bohemian Love Diaries. Can't wait to read it. I did read the first chapter and enjoyed it. He's had a crazy life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks great. The cover cracks me up every time.

      Delete
  7. I'm reading a lot more this year than I have in the past but it's mostly all for school now. It's not as fun reading syllabus books rather than books I choose, but at least it's got me sailing cover to cover like I haven't done in a long time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, you're right, it isn't as much fun. I tend to shy away from anything with a hard deadline (was not good for me in grad school). But at least you're reading!

      Delete
  8. The Whole Fromage sounds intriguing to me. It's hard to beat Sedaris on audio!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was awesome, Kathy! People probably think I'm nuts when I say I'm really interested in the cheesemaking process, but it's just fascinating!

      Delete
  9. I got The Crimson Petal and the White on my TBR shelf. Good to see it is so intriguing. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great! I hope you enjoy it when you get to it!

      Delete
  10. I've been wondering about The Whole Fromage because it sounds good and I've developed a 'thing' for food-related books. The Suicide Shop sounds particularly dark, the sort of story that might be worse, as it were, as a book than a TV show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's awesome, Charlie! And I agree. It may be best suited to the written word.

      Delete
  11. Looks like you have some great books to read this week- I especially like Naked- I haven't read much by him.
    Here is my Monday post-
    http://turnthepagereviews.com
    Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Crimson Petal and the White is subversive! I just loved it, bodily fluids and all. I think I started it with a book club, and they were all like: gross, I can't do this! When I told them I was loving it, they gave me weird looks! For some reason this book hit all the right notes for me. The treatment of sexuality and power intrigues me. And I love Sarah Waters for similar reasons....

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always increase my reading list after coming to your blog - and I love that find books I hven't heard of before :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Michel Faber! And I say that after only reading one book so far. :)

    Some good lookin' books here. I love hearing about the non-fiction books you're reading; non-fiction doesn't get as much airtime as fiction in general, so I don't always hear about the good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree about the quality and not quantity. Great week for you and good books.

    ENJOY this week.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It's Monday, What Are You Reading

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have The Suicide Shop on my pile too. Doesn't it sound so quirky and fun? Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the cover of Glaciers. It's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never read anything by David Sedaris...There are just too many books!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice mix of reads. Enjoy them all.

    ReplyDelete
  20. "so many despicable characters, so many bodily fluids" HAHAHA…lol. You crack me up. SO MANY BOOKS ONTO MY WISHLIST BECAUSE OF THIS POST!! It really has been a great year for you so far! Can't wait to hear your review of The Whole Fromage. I've never heard of that one but it sounds really good and The Suicide Shop looks really good too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The Crimson Petal and the White sounds fantastic. I'm sort of shocked I haven't even added it to my TBR yet. Will rectify. I loved Mercedes's review of The Suicide Shop so that will happen eventually as well. Thanks for recommending the Sedaris on audio. Always looking for some good audio recs even though I'm currently buried in audio right now! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Crimson Petal is fantastic. I have been thinking about rereading, even though it's a million pages long. I remember the bodily fluids...

    The Birth House is wonderful. Bodily fluids abound there too, as you might imagine.

    Very intriguing list of books.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm only about 100 pgs in on Crimson...but am loving it. I love the raw writing and the leave no detail unturned content!! I haven't decided yet how I feel about Sugar.
    I've only listened to one David Sedaris...When You are Engulfed in Flames...and I didn't like it :/ I quit listening about 3/4 of the way through. Now, I've finally decided that audios are just not for me, so I might need to give him a try in print.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Bodily fluids? Sounds like my cup of tea. I remember seeing adverts for the tv series of the Crimson Petal and the White and it looked really intriguing. Unfortunately I missed it but I do keep eyeing up the book in bookshops.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik