Monday, June 17, 2013

Happy Whatcha Reading Monday!

My reading has been exceptional lately! For the last few years I've only managed to read 30 or so books per year. Given, I was going through lots of professional and personal changes, so it's not surprising. At the rate I'm reading now, I think I may be back to that 50-60 books range this year.

I'm not about the numbers. The last few years have taught me--better than ever--that quality is far more important than quantity. Looks like this year I might be up in quantity and maintaining a great quality, too. Win-win!

This past week I finished up The Whole Fromage, by Kathe Lison, and Glaciers, by Alexis M. Smith. I've drafted up posts that will go up Wednesday and Thursday this week, including video blog companions. I really can't say I liked one more than the other, because they were such different books, but both were really well-done and I enjoyed them immensely. Highly recommended.

This weekend I dug into The Crimson Petal and the White, by Michael Faber, and, wow. Just wow! So many despicable characters, so many bodily fluids. I'm only about 200 pages in, but I'm really impressed with Faber's writing, though, and how true this novel is to original Victorian fiction in phrasing and flavor. But turned up to 11!

I also hunkered down with Naked, by David Sedaris, for my upcoming book club meeting on June 27th. I'm about 160 pages into this one and Sedaris is funny, as always, but I almost wish I'd done this one on audio. It's been a long while since I've listened to any of his books, and I think hearing his reading really helps enhance the funny. I've laughed out loud many times reading this one, but it's just not quite the same.

Several books came into the house this past week. Perhaps I should hang my head in shame in light of yesterday's post about all the potentially awesome, unread books lounging on my shelves. However, they all look too darn good to worry about it for long.

The Bohemian Love Diaries: A Memoir by Slash Coleman arrived after the author reached out to me with a very nice e-mail. I'm looking forward to this one since I've been on such a non-fiction kick.

The Suicide Shop by Jean Teule was a recommendation from Mercy's Bookish Musings, and when I saw that it was on sale for $2.90 at B&N, I couldn't help myself. It's waiting on my Nook. A darkly-comic novel about a world that sucks so thoroughly that you can pop into the shop to end it all.

The Birth House by Amy McKay was another book on sale for an unbeatable price of $1.99. I couldn't resist after so many of you recommended this one when I solicited recs for books dealing with midwifery.

I think I'm most excited to read The Suicide Shop. It's a short little book, and should help keep my reading fresh while I'm plowing through "the Crimson chunkster."

How is your week starting out? 

Hosted by Sheila of BookJourney.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

Images by Freepik