Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Newbies on the Nook

So what? I might've gone a little crazy trading up books with friends and buying affordable e-books, and now I have a whole SLEW of new stuff on my Nook. Whatcha got to say about it??? Huh? Huh?

Ok, enough defensive. Y'ALL, these are such great-looking books! Even though the sheer amount is slightly embarrassing. In my defense, many of these books have been on my Nook for a while now, but after a software upgrade it magically stopped reading epubs I had imported! So I had to wipe it and start over. What was old is new again, as they say.



The Color Master: Stories by Aimee Bender -- I almost wet myself when Vasilly told me she had a new book coming out.
Hild by Nicola Griffith - From Goodreads: A brilliant, lush, sweeping historical novel about the rise of the most powerful woman of the Middle Ages: Hild. 
A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving - A book I did not complete the first time I tried reading it, but this is the choice for our Estella Project Readalong, and I'm looking forward to trying again!



Ready Player One by Ernest Cline has been on my shelves FOREVER. I even met the author, for heaven's sake. But it's still sitting on my shelves unread. I hope having a Nook copy will prompt me to hurry up.
Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel is a gift from a sweet friend, and I book I've been interested in for ages.



Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell, because how could I resist when I loved Eleanor and Park so much?
Far, Far Away by Tom McNeal isn't getting stellar reviews. Cool premise, but not in a huge hurry.
Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan sounds gothicky-awesome.


The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater will be my first by her. I skipped the werewolves.
The Brides of Rollrock Island by Margo Lanagan - I hear such good things about Tender Morsels, but given the subject matter, I may start here instead.
Every Day by David Levithan - Truthfully, I have no idea what it's about. Which usually works out well for me.



Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare because my friend Shannon told me to read it.
Splintered by A.G. Howard in spite of the horrendous cover.

While I've been off YA for a while now, it's making a comeback in my stacks! I'm looking forward to all of these goodies. Now let's see how long it takes me to get them read!

What's new on your e-reader or your TBR? 





38 comments:

  1. Ooooh Hild sounds faaaaaaaaabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it? I couldn't resist.

      Delete
  2. There are so many great books on here!!! Where will you begin???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the top row. lol Between readalongs and review books, those get priority. But I also think I'll be reading some of the YAs and shorties to even things out.

      Delete
  3. Wolf Hall, Wolf Hall! Hooray :) I loved that book, even though it had some weird pronoun issues. There were times when I wasn't sure who she was talking about. You'll see what I mean. Bring up the Bodies (the next book in the series) is even better and the issues seem to be cleared up.

    Heather asked a great question, where in the world will you begin??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear you say that about Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies. I've seen such a mixed bag of reviews. I'm excited to try Mantel out.

      And the top row gets priority. Review books and readalongs!

      Delete
  4. AIMEE BENDER HAS A NEW BOOK COMING OUT?!?!?! Oh my word, I see it on NetGalley, too! You made my day. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I hope you love it, Monika. I hope we both do!

      Delete
  5. Awesome stack. I have Ready Player One waiting for me on audio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and ooooo Fangirl. I'm envious. :)

      Delete
    2. I hope you enjoy Ready Player One, and I'll keep ya posted on Fangirl!

      Delete
  6. Yayy! So excited for you to read all of these. I'm going to have to investigate some of these and see if I need to add them to my TBR pile! They look great.

    I have read Unspoken and Splintered because the YA pile is just too easy to fall into and I liked them both. Splintered was pretty weird (in a cool way) and stuck with me afterwards since I haven't done many retellings of Alice, surprisingly.

    Anyways, miss you and hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SHANNON!!!! I'm so happy to see you commenting (and e-mailing!). I'm glad you've liked the YA titles. I'm most excited to read Splinter (that cover!).

      I miss you too, girly!

      Delete
  7. i love a prayer for owen meany!! I really hope you get through it this time around. When is the read along? maybe I need to pull out my copy and join ya'll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear that! We're kicking off on July 2, and it'll be an easy, breezy, laid back readalong.

      Delete
  8. So many great looking books! And so many I want to read!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh!!! What a freakin' awesome sounding load of books there...I haven't read a single one of them. And you've definitely got me wanting to pull out my Nook. I actually do like reading on it, but I just rarely remember to. I know, how pathetic is that? :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debi! They are pretty juicy, eh? I keep mine sitting around, and about half of the books I buy in general are nook books.

      Delete
  10. Nice! I loved Clockwork Angel & that whole series, and I must get Fangirl. Wolf Hall has been showing up on my radar a lot recently, and I almost grabbed it when at the store yesterday. Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't go back and get it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear it, Sarah! It's probably nothing I would've picked up, but my good buddy Shannon insisted, and I trust her implicitly. Go back and get Wolf Hall! Tell them I enabled you into it.

      Delete
  11. Oh my gosh, you will love Ready Player One!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so, too. I really can't believe that I've taken this long to read it. I met the author last summer!!!!

      Delete
  12. Listing my e-reader TBR would take forever!!!!!!! Good luck making your book choices! I mean, like actually picking what to read next and all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Rebecca! Listing the whole thing would take me forever too. I have 126 books on my Nook and I haven't looked at the read: to be read ratio. Ignorance is bliss!

      Delete
  13. Something for every mood! You can never have too many choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, that is so true! Except I generally freak out with TOO many choices. Right now I'm ignoring my physical stacks, and that seems to help. Ha!

      Delete
  14. Short stories from Aimee Bender? Hooray!
    You have a wonderful bunch of books - I can't wait to read your reviews. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So many great books - Ready Player One was a fav from last year. Also, I enjoyed Clockwork Angel, really want to read The Raven Boys (I, too, skipped the wolves), and recently added Hild to the TBR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, Brooke!!! They all look so good, I have no idea how I'm going to pick.

      Delete
  16. I love The Raven Boys, I am dying for the second book! I liked Unspoken but a lot of people didn't, ha. I had mixedish feelings on Every Day but overall liked it and I need to finish Splintered, it was open on my nook when I dropped it and killed it, ack! Hild looks great and I've been meaning to read Ready Player One!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I'm so glad to hear you liked Raven Boys and Unspoken. And OH NO re: your Nook. That makes me sad!

      Delete
  17. Pick up Every Day right now! Read it in April and could not put it down. It's a fresh concept and really, really good. I mean it! Read it now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nothing new on my ereader or TBR piles! I'm trying so hard to be good and get all my NetGalley books read and all my TBR books read before I go gallivanting off and reading/buying brand new things. Needless to say, I am jealous of your haul.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Holy moly that's a lot of books! :)
    Lots of interesting books here but the one that captures my attention is the Hild book. Great cover. Enjoy your reads!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. HOW DO YOU HAVE THE COLOR MASTER AND FANGIRL???? >> *EVIL STARE* Those are like my most envied books of the year after the new Gaiman which i should have in my hands in just a few short days :D :D But ummm…yeah, you need to go read the Levithan and Lanagan RIGHT NOW!!! That's an order :p

    ReplyDelete
  21. So I wonder if I got a Nook if I could transfer my Kindle books there? Though I feel like a virtual TBR is almost more dangerous than a phsyical one! I'm having this problem with audiobooks. I keep adding them to the stack but because I can't see the actual discs I have way more than I could listen to in years. Especially now that my commute is about to go down to zero. Eeep.

    Looking forward to Owen Meany! Hopefully it works out better for you this time around.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik