Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Soonchild by Russell Hoban

I was recently asked by a freakin' awesome group of book bloggers to do a buddy read of Soonchild by Russell Hoban. Waving at Ana, Chris, Debi, Kelly and Heatheroo! This was Heather's pick, and I can honestly say, it's unlike most books I've ever read!

Blurb from Goodreads: Two internationally acclaimed artists (Hoban and illustrator Alexis Deacon) create a groundbreaking, genre-defying adventure to transcend time, place, and identity. In the cold north where the white wind blows lives Sixteen-Face John, a shaman. His wife is expecting their first child -- a "soonchild." But Soonchild won't come out! So John sets out to find the World Songs that inspire all soonchildren to leave the womb. Along the way, he must shift shape and size, converse with animals and ancestors, and face demons and death. But he also pursues an elusive golden-eyed presence that hints at a connection with his past. This breathtaking novel, as exciting as it is spooky, is a lyrical tribute to the forces of nature, magic, and family.

I'm also feeling supremely lazy, so I'm not going to write up a big long review of this book. I pretty much cover my thoughts in the video review below. Namely...

  • This book reads like an updated native legend
  • The story and language are quirky
  • The artwork is beautiful
  • It seems there are some clever intertextual shout-outs in this piece
All-in-all, this was a departure from my norm, and I loved that! 






Pub. Date: August 2012
Publisher: Candlewick
Format: Hardcover
ISBN-13: 9780763659202
Source: Purchased by moi!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik