Sunday, June 30, 2013

TSS: The Purdiest Books Around!

I have been on a BIT of a book buying jag. It doesn't happen often, and MOST of the books have been on sale, but I still need to reign myself in. But I had to show you the real prizes of my recent haul. THESE are the purdiest books around...




I am absolutely, butt-crazy in LOVE with the Penguin Threads editions. While I'm not the hugest Wizard of Oz fan (book), it's one worth having on the collection. My previous edition was a teensy, ugly mass market, and this edition is truly glorious. Embiggen that picture up there. It's SO worth it. 

I also chose to order The Secret Garden, which I read for the first time last year. Again, I have a beat up old edition and wanted to add this one to my "books for posterity" shelf.

Finally, I don't have a physical copy of Emma, and Jane Austen is always worth owning!


This is not a great image, but I ordered a Penguin English Library edition of Northanger Abbey from The Book Depository. I was first introduced to the Penguin English Library by Allie at A Literary Odyssey. She collects these and the clothbound editions, and I won a copy of David Copperfield from her that is absolutely gorgeous. I think I also won A Tale of Two Cities from her as well. They're both lovely, and I pet them often, and since I had plans to read Northanger Abbey in August for the Austen in August event, I thought I'd upgrade my trashy mass market edition to something I would relish more. 



I found this drop-dead gorgeous Puffin 25th Anniversary edition of Matilda, by Roald Dahl, many moons ago, and I've been mooning over it ever since. Since I was ordering from The Book Depository already, I decided to add this to the bunch. Plus, my old copy disappeared forever ago.


I'm planning to buddy read Rebecca in August with Chelsea from Chels and a Book (and a fellow vlogger!). I've had the same nasty, red mass market for YEARS, and I'm pretty sure it's the reason I haven't tried Du Maurier before now. I really wanted the Virago hardcover below (stunning!) but it's out of stock, so I settled for this (still gorgeous and much improved) William Morrow trade paperback that I found at B&N. I may splurge for these Virago hardcovers if I ever find them...



And last but certainly not least, I picked up this Penguin Deluxe Classics edition of The Picture of Dorian Gray when I was in Austin at BookPeople a few weeks ago. They have a drop dead sexy Penguin display, which I drooled and fawned over for nearly an hour. I just couldn't decide what to buy! I was looking for the perfect combination of want to read and gorgeous. I knew this one was it as soon as I saw it. 



Does the edition of a book you own dictate whether or not you pick it up? 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik