Saturday, June 08, 2013

Weekend Cooking: Pin It and Do It May Recap

Hosted by Trish

I'm finally reporting on my pinnin's and doin's from May, and I'm happy to report that I actually finished the challenge! I had it in my head that I would shoot for four completed pins, and I actually completed five. Go me!

My first completed pin involved war on sugar ants in my kitchen. While the cinnamon worked like a charm in the  beginning, it began to wear off. In addition to making sure all the dishes were loaded into the dishwasher at night, wiping down the counters with vinegar, and drying all around the sink, I put out some basil that they seem to really dislike. Read more here...

Greyson had a long weekend with his daddio leading up to Memorial Day, so one night when I was staying in, I tackled this much-anticipated Spicy Rice Noodles recipe from my new favorite cookbook, Food: Vegetarian Home Cooking, by Mary McCartney. While I had to sub some ingredients I was missing, they still turned out to be delicious! Will definitely make them again. I kinda negated the "vegetarian" part when I served them with roasted salmon glazed with brown sugar, garlic, and hot chili oil, but delicious anywho.

Brown sugar and chili glazed salmon and NOODLES!

That same evening, while I was entirely too full, I decided it would be a GREAT idea to make this recipe for Vanilla Cupcakes for Two. And I used this recipe for two-cupcake frosting


While these were quick and easy, the cupcake recipe called for WAY too much vanilla. A whole teaspoon for two cupcakes! When I first bit into them it was like licking the alcohol out of the vanilla bottle. Ugh! I would half this in future endeavors. The icing helped cover up some of that, though. Nom!

Image credit. 
Finally, I found a new fave recipe! I am constantly looking for easy freezables that I can stockpile and take for work lunches. These Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burritos fit the bill perfectly! I used two medium sweet potatoes and a little less than half of a very large onion. I skimped on the red bell pepper and cilantro because I didn't have it on hand. And my black beans were buried in the pantry, so I subbed kidney beans instead (lazy!). Once I added the cheese and spices, I had enough filling for almost 15 burritos! I roll them in foil and  freeze them 2-4 to a plastic bag. I often take a 4-pack to work and leave in the kitchen freezer for a day that I forget lunch.

They are super simple to reheat. Just unwrap, cover them in a damp paper towel, and microwave for 2-4 minutes (depending on the strength of the microwave...ours sucks). Next time through I might double the spice, though. I'm from Texas. I like the spice!

So there you have it! I've already made another recipe this month from Pinterest, but I'll save that for another edition of Weekend Cooking. It's another easy freezable that I shared at a ladies lunch in our department. A hit all around! Stay tuned for next Saturday!

Hosted by the superlative, Beth Fish Reads. 

29 comments:

  1. The noodles and burritos look fantastic! I think I'll skip the cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy! I think the cupcakes could be really good, but this recipe definitely needs tweaking.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I'd love to try the sweet potato and black bean burritos! Thank you for sharing these. Off to pin them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Deb! I hope you get a chance to try them. They're delish!

      Delete
  3. The sweet potato and black bean burritos look delicious and what a great idea freezing them and taking them to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane! They're one of my go-to's. I've also done breakfast burritos and traditional beef/bean. But I like the idea of eating less meat, and these are perfect for it!

      Delete
  4. that burrito looks excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Caite! They're yum!

      Delete
  5. That salmon looks delicious. Great job on your pins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! The salmon was a totally off-the-cuff experiment and it was amazing. Will definitely be doing it again.

      Delete
  6. Those all look great, but I love the burrito recipe and the idea of freezing them to reheat later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right on, Joy! They're so so so easy and they keep me from eating out when I have some extras stashed at work. :)

      Delete
  7. I love sweet potato burritos! Yum. I love vanilla and can't imagine "too much" but love the idea of a two cupcake recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't imagine too much either because I am also a vanilla lover. However, they were REALLY bitter. Definitely less vanilla next time.

      Delete
  8. I must try to make some burritos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've gotta try that sweet potato & black bean burrito recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love them as much as I do, Lisa!

      Delete
  10. what a great idea to make just two cupcakes! I love that. And I also love the idea of having dinner or lunch in the freezer. Good job on the Pin It/Do it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Candace! A successful month of pinning/doing, for sure!

      Delete
  11. I wonder if the person who developed the original cupcakes for two recipe uses artificial vanilla, so more was needed than if you have real vanilla extract? That does seem like an awful lot of vanilla! Great idea to leave extra burritos in the freezer at work, although I'd probably forget all about them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie, good call! That may be it exactly. Arrgh!

      I forget my lunch often, or at least I'm undermotivated to pack it, so I tend not to forget about them when I'm hungry. lol

      Delete
  12. That's an excellent idea with the burritos. I have never really tried sweet potatoes. How terrible is that?! I think the burrito sounds delicious. Maybe I'll give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristi! Sweet potatoes are so yummy, and this combo of sweet and spicy is one of my faves.

      Delete
  13. OMG that all looks soooo yummy!!!! Make something for me, please? :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. Totally intrigued by the cupcakes for two... seems like an excellent way to cut down on the desserts hanging around the house! Sometimes I really want a sweet, but I can't be trusted with two dozen of those babies eyeballin' me from the kitchen. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum, the burritos do sound incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so so so tempted by those burritos but ever since I was pregnant with Elle I've had an aversion to red peppers. Will need to figure out something to substitute as I love the idea of freezer burritos. And ZOMG cupcakes for two. Minus the vanilla BUT YUM. I request cupcakes at our next bookclub meeting. Please and thank you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The burrito ingredients sound amazing. And clicking on that link to that recipe finally convinced me I need to be on Pinterest to keep track of the recipes I've been picking up lately.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik