Thursday, July 04, 2013

Happy Independence Day! and Summer Lovin' Day 4

Happy Independence Day to all of you celebrating in the US! If you're outside the US or not celebrating, I wish you a super awesome and fantastic day. Greyson and I will be celebrating with some good food and fireworks and family later on in the day. I'll also be trying to squeeze in some reading time! 



How are you celebrating the 4th? 

Today is also the fourth day of the Summer Lovin' Read-a-Thon. I wish I could say I've read scads of pages this week, but sadly, I have not. Too much crazy at work and home! Let's see if I can make up for it in the latter half of the week.



Today's Summer Lovin' Readathon topic is "Tears on My Pillow”: Share a quote from your current read or tell us about a book that really pulled on your heart strings. What was it about that book/quote that made you cry? 

I recently read through Simon Van Booy's latest book, The Illusion of Separateness, and I tore through the book in a day. It's a slim volume, given, but it's also enthralling. I have loved everything I've read by Van Booy, and I can't wait to get my very own hardcover edition of this keeper. And the review! Oh, the review! I can't wait to share it with you. Warning: much gushing. 

One of my favorite passages. It didn't make me cry, but it is gorgeous.

The air smells of wood smoke and seawater. The Golden Pear Cafe fills up early with retired bankers and once-famous artists who sit alone by the window, turning the pages of morning.
Most people remember the Hamptons as an unbroken summer. A place of sandwiches and laughter, hot weather, things lost on the beach. 
In summer, I sleep with my windows open. Night holds my body in its mouth. 






12 comments:

  1. Happy fireworks! Happy reading. What fun to go to fireworks with a kid.
    I am going to Monticello to see the naturalization ceremony and hear Dave Matthews, who is a native of South Africa, speak to the new citizens. Leaving very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara! Unfortunately I wasn't able to experience the fireworks with Greyson. I've had a lot of sinus pressure lately and yesterday it manifested itself in a horrible day-long headache and neck ache. I ended up letting G go with his dad and siblings and I retreated to bed.

      The event at Monticello sounds amazing. I'd forgotten that Dave Matthews was a native of South Africa. The Dave Matthews Band is one of my favorites, and he's a fun, effective speaker.

      Delete
  2. I hope you have a great holiday. I'm afraid it's going to be a wet one here so there probably won't be too many fireworks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy! I hope y'all didn't get rained out after all!

      Delete
  3. Ooooh - "Night holds my body in its mouth."

    That line alone may make the book worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy 4th, Andi! Hope you guys are having a great holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you had a good one, too, Iliana!

      Delete
  5. I was supposed to have a symphony concert over in Seaside, FL this evening (where they filmed The Truman Show) but it got cancelled due to weather. Ended up just lazing around... kind of nice, actually! Happy 4th to you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet, Monika! Nothing wrong with a little lazing. ;)

      Delete
  6. I just asked you if you'd gotten to Simon's book because I still had windows open from 2 days ago (should probably reboot, now and then). Wahoo! I'm glad you loved Illusion! I recognize that passage - one of Amelia's, right? Beautiful. I am so pleased that this book is getting lots of exposure. It's about time everyone else figured out the awesomeness of Simon, don't you think? :)

    Happy belated 4th!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ma'am! I loved Amelia's sections so much. It's definitely time that Simon "caught on" with more readers. He's just amazing.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik