Monday, July 22, 2013

Monday Reading Surprise!

Good morning, bibliophiles! I'm a little late to the game this morning. I usually pre-schedule some of my posts, but I was so busy reading ALL THE BOOKS last week, I'm pretty behind writing reviews and everything else.

I wasn't sure how much reading I would get done yesterday, but it looks like the reading week is starting off with a bang once again.



I was really resistant to start Life After Life, by Kate Atkinson. I intended to read this one a long time ago, closer to the time it was released, but I just never got around to it, and then all the hypey buzziness started up. I'm glad so many trusted bloggers enjoyed it, but it left me wondering if there was any way it could be THAT GOOD. Especially since this general plot arch seems like it's been "done." I've read several books about people who live multiple lives or never die. Off the top of my head, Pilgrim, by Timothy Findley, and also The Gargoyle, by Andrew Davidson. So yeah. Hesitant was me.

However, I picked this one up last night and forced myself to give it some time. 100 pages later I forced myself to go to bed. It's definitely engaging, though I'm not yet sure how I like the repetitive nature of Ursula living the same life over and over. False start after false start. Each time getting a little older and more experienced.

We'll see.


I also started Northanger Abbey, by Jane Austen. So far, so good. I'm enjoying the humor and the way Jane Austen makes light of gothic novels. It's a slower read by nature of the writing, but it's still very readable and enjoyable. Just not as suited to reading "sprints," which seems like what I've been doing lately.

And now, if you'd like to see the scandalous amount of books that have come into my house lately. Here they are, in the flesh. The cover? Anyway, this is the first of two book haul videos I'll be posting this week. I can't believe how many new books are coming into my house. Luckily, I'm reading pretty fast, too.




What are you reading this week? Anything I need to lust after? 


Image Cred. 
It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is hosted by Super-Awesome Sheila from BookJourney.



29 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a lot of books! I can tell a pretty cover really turns your head. I'm jealous of the new Patrick Ness book!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh, Kathy, I'm such a sucker for the pretty cover. Since I keep fewer books in my house these days I guess I want the ones I do keep to be more presentable? Sounds silly, but that's what I'm workin' with. lol

      Delete
  2. I'm still pounding away at Owen Meany.

    I can believe you haven't even STARTED the new Patrick Ness book. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW! It's coming up fast, though. I may not make it through Life After Life.

      Delete
  3. Your reading update posts all sound so happy lately, I love it.

    I know I will love Life After Life but I'm being stubborn and not reading it yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have been super happy! I can't believe how much I'm reading. Yayyy!

      Delete
  4. I loved Life After Life. There is so much to it, you could debate certain aspects of it for weeks.

    Northanger Abbey is one of my favorite Austen novels. I love how downright snide she is about gothic novels. The whole thing makes me laugh.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it last night and I'm rolling my eyes at it today. Fickle, right?? Ugh! And yes, she is QUITE snippy about gothic novels. Hilarious.

      Delete
  5. I still haven't had a chance to read Life After Life yet, no matter how often I've put it on my "what's next" list! sigh.

    Northanger Abbey is the only one of Austen's (finished) books that I haven't read yet. I hear it's quite a bit different from the others, which will make for a nice change.

    I hope you like Cranford, it's a much slower, more descriptive story than North and South (which I LOVED!). Persuasion is good. Still haven't read The Woman in White yet! I know what you mean though, if the edition isn't nice to read I'll ditch it and get a different, better one. Mine is an old second-hand Penguin edition, which I think will be okay.

    Sorry, wait, did you say Wuthering Heights had been published by Puffin? Crazy! I would not consider that a children's book!

    Love that edition of Sherlock Holmes!! Have a great week, Andi. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how I feel about Life After Life just yet. I liked it last night, but today I'm iffy.

      Definitely different from her others, but so far still charming and awesome.

      Thanks for the heads up in regards to Cranford!

      YES! Isn't that nutty re: Puffin? There are lots of books they've abridged and presented as children's. Example: Oliver Twist.

      You have a great week, too, Shannon!

      Delete
  6. Lots of reading!! I hope you enjoy Northanger Abbey-good book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to it! I'm enjoying it so far.

      Delete
  7. Let's not call your latest bunch of book a stack. Let's just call it like it is and tell the truth: it's a mountain! That Patrick Ness book sounds amazing! I want it. Life After Life is a book that I keep ignoring though it's been sitting on my shelves for months. I'll get to it one day. Glad you're enjoying it. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mountain is a fair and accurate term. Whew! I can't wait to read the Ness book. It'll probably be up next. And Life After Life is ok. I was totally digging it yesterday, and now my tired brain is like, 'whatev.' Have a wonderful fantastic week, Natasha!

      Delete
  8. The Son! You need to get The Son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do. I keep seeing all the good reviews about it.

      Delete
  9. Those classics are beautiful! What a nice collection you are building. My ears perked up when you mentioned the Austen in August challenge and classics blog. I need/want to incorporate classics in my reading! Hope you enjoy Northanger Abbey - that was my first Austen actually and I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to incorporate classics pretty regularly, but I've stopped doing that the last few years because I had such a short attention span when Greyson was younger. Now, I'm much more open to them, and I'm excited to read more.

      Delete
  10. I'm so glad you're reading Life After Life!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I had iffiness about it at first, but now I seem to have settled into a groove.

      Delete
  11. I've been meaning to read The Woman in White FOREVER. I think it would be FAB if the Estella Society did a readalong of that! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we're planning to do that one in winter time. Can't wait!

      Delete
  12. Northhanger Abbey looks good. I haven't read Life After Life yet.

    I love your video of your books. Great idea.

    ENJOY your week and your books.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It's Monday, What Are You Reading



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad you liked the video. I hope you're having a good week as well!

      Delete
  13. I do want to read Life after Life myself! I might pick it up soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, so good. I got annoyed with it for a bit but that seems to have passed.

      Delete
  14. I miss your text! I can't watch videos on my phone at work like I can text and I'm never on my computer at home. :(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik