Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Most Intimidating Books and Summer Lovin' Day 2

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, and today's prompt is "top ten most intimidating books." I'm all over it.

A Fine Balance, by Rohinton Mistry, has been praised out the ying-yang. Some of my most trusted blogger friends totally dig this book, but the size and the weighty subject render me skeered. 

Catch-22, by Joseph Heller. Ugh. War. Confusing premise. Just...yeah. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to do it. 

Galatea 2.2, by Richard Powers, is one that came to my attention in grad school. It didn't take me long to add it to my TBR because I love the premise: an outlandish and irresistible project: to train a neural net on a canonical list of Great Books. Through repeated tutorials, the device grows gradually more worldly, until it demands to know its own name, sex, race, and reason for exisiting.

Tammy told me 12 years ago to read A Game of Thrones, and she's been telling me ever since. Now that I have this book on my Nook, the chances of me tackling this chunky monkey have increased about 100-fold.

The Historian, by Elizabeth Kostova, looks and sounds amazing. It's a big one, too, and the hype has put the fear in me a bit. But I'll still read it. Or will I?

Jimmy Corrigan, the Smartest Kid on Earth, by Chris Ware is possibly the only graphic novel that really intimidates me. The busy'ness of it is supremely scary to me for some reason.

Messiah, by Gore Vidal, looks great! But it's Gore Vidal!

Sexual Personae, by Camille Paglia, is another one of those books that's been on my shelves for an age and a half. It looks brain bendy. 

The Sound and the Fury, by William Faulker, because we all know William Faulkner's narratives are confusing. They just are. This one gets top billing for most confusing, even though after reading Absolom Absolom, I think I might like it!

Trainspotting, by Irvine Welsh, is intimidating for the dialect and the ick factor. 

Ulysses, by James Joyce, is just a pain in the arse. Let's be real. I've tried reading this thing, and I eventually gave my copy away. Addendum: NO I DIDN'T! The frackin' thing is still on the shelves. Maybe not for long. Take that, Joyce!

Which books are most intimating to you? 

I'm also including my Summer Lovin' Read-a-Thon participation post for Day 2--"You're the One That I Want"--here so as not to completely fill up your inboxes and readers.

I did a post on my summer reading a few weeks ago, so here are some favorites from that post and a link to the post proper.

Two of these books count toward my Estella Project reading goals for summer. The Glass Castle and The Sparrow have both been on my stacks for a good long while. It'll be good to get these finished up to see what I think of them.

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie is the first book in the Flavia de Luce series, and I've had my eye on it for a long time, too. I'll be reading it through my library's Overdrive e-book collection on my Nook. I have a feeling I'll love this series!

Read the full post HERE

Explore the Summer Lovin' Readathon HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

Images by Freepik