Monday, July 01, 2013

Summer Lovin' Readathon, Day 1


Summer Lovin' is my very first week-long readathon, and I'm excited to join in! Today's discussion topic is "Class Orientation," so here's a short intro for anyone new who may be passing through today!

My name is Andi, and I've been blogging here at Estella's Revenge for over eight years. Great Expectations is one of my favorite books and one of the first classics that ever really blew my skirt up, so I  took Estella's name for my own online persona.

At this point in my life, I read a variety of books including contemporary fiction, literary fiction, plenty of backlist, memoirs, travel and food writing, cookbooks, and more! Whatever strikes my fancy. I do have a penchant for gorgeous prose and quirky books.

Nom nom nom!

I work as a Public Relations Director in higher education, I teach online English courses for a university and a community college. In my free time, I read as much as I can, and I'm newly addicted to BookTube! If you'd like to "meet" me in a different way, take a look at my intro video below, or maybe sneak a peek at my some of the oldest books on my shelves that NEED TO BE READ. I'm also the mom to an adorable 3-year-old named Greyson. We like to nosh.

My goals for the readathon??? READ A LOT! It doesn't get much more specific than that.

Thanks for stopping by!

Intro:



Old, old books!

19 comments:

  1. Book Tube?!? What is Book Tube? I've a feeling I've just found out how I'll be spending my day today....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just YouTube, but there's a large community of people who create videos about the books they're reading: reviews, book hauls, TBRs, reactions, etc. It's fascinating! I created a blog post about it with some recommendations here:

      http://estellasrevenge.blogspot.com/2013/06/booktube-recommendations.html

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! 8 years flew by in a flash! No idea where the time goes.

      Delete
  3. Mmmm Cotton Patch. Maybe we should meet there next book club. I may or may not be kidding. ;) Greyson is just the cutest.

    I figured that Estella came from Great Expectations but I've always wondered at the background of your blog's name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes, yes! I'm allll over Cotton Patch. Though it's kind of echo-y.

      Delete
  4. I have an 11 year old in my class that looks EXACTLY like Greyson plus eight years. That was a random thing to say, but the resemblance is uncanny.

    And I'm getting into discovering the book tube community, loving it so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I love that. I wanna see him so I'll know how Greyson looks when he's older. Maybe I'm weird like that, but I try to picture him older and I have a really hard time. I think it's a mommy brain block. lol

      So glad you're enjoying the BookTube community! It's a lot of fun. I've found some great books that way.

      Delete
  5. Good Luck with your readathon! There are things I like about the 24 hour ones, though I never go 24 hours and things I like about the week long ones, though I usually have a bit of burnout toward the end. But the whole idea of putting other things on the back burner in favor of reading is such a wonderful indulgence, that I love taking part whenever I get the chance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! We'll see how I do with a week-long event. I suspect I may be a bit burnt out too.

      But yes, putting other things on the backburner to read is always a nice indulgence. :)

      Delete
  6. 8 years? Impressive! I had no idea blogger had been around that long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine, it has been! It was REALLY buggy and horrible in the early days with lots of outages. It's a miracle I've stayed with Blogger this long. lol

      Delete
  7. I might have to get into this "Book Tube" thing! Sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Britney, it is a blast!!! So many great vloggers to see.

      Delete
  8. Yikes I completely forgot the readathon! I need to get off the computer and get reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get on it, Lisa! ;) My readathon has been OK so far. Not tons of reading because of work things.

      Delete
  9. Phew 8 years! I've only been at it for four months now and 8 years seems like quite the feat. Congrats. Ooh, and it's also my first week-long read-a-thon! I'm excited though :D Nice meeting you and cute pic of you and your son!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun! There are always ebbs and flows, waxes and wanes? Ups and downs! But it's been a great 8 years.

      Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. I'm shocked you haven't read Rebecca, considering you mentioned you fondness toward Gothic novels. FOR SHAME! lol only kidding, but highly recommend it, but get a better cover

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik