Friday, July 05, 2013

Summer Lovin' Readathon Progress, Day 5




Today's Summer Lovin' Readathon theme is "whole lotta shakin' going on!" Share your progress – How many books have you read so far? Have you gotten off track? What are your plans for the rest of the read-a-thon?



My progress this week royally sucks! I had a really hard time settling into a new book this week to kick start June. A Prayer for Owen Meany, while I'm legitimately enjoying it, is a really slow read. Something about Irving's writing--the wealth of detail, the meandering--makes it difficult for me to make progress at a quick clip. And I'm sure Irving is best enjoyed at a leisurely pace. But I can sit and read that book for what feels like forever, and I've only read 25 pages. Srsly? 

When it comes to chunksters (Owean Meany = 600+ pages), I like to have a smaller companion read. I was also having a hard time settling on one of those until yesterday. I tried The Awakening to no avail. I picked up A Little Princess and put it back down. So I figured I needed something more contemporary, quicker-paced, and possibly non-fiction. The Glass Castle, by Jeanette Walls, seems to be doing the trick. Even though I want to drop-kick her parents. 

It's also been a very busy and productive week at work. I'm working today, the day after Independence Day, just in case you were wondering. :-/ I was also struck down with a migraine yesterday, so that blew. So yeah, the weekend goal to cap off this readathon is pretty straightforward: READ. 


And for the heck of it, my latest BookTube video. This is my June wrap-up, so there are some "preview" thoughts on books I'll be reviewing soon.

 

19 comments:

  1. Sorry it is not going as well as you wanted. That sucks about the migraine yesterday (go figure, right?) I hope you can catch up on your goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll get back on track one of these days. lol It's still been fun to participate in the daily discussions. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. I've tried with Owen Meany SO many times and never made it through yet. When Olduvai read it earlier this year and liked it, I shoved it up the pile again, but I still haven't given it another go. At least you're enjoying it when you are reading, but I totally understand the slower-pace you're talking about. Good luck with the rest of your RAT days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know the feeling. I've tried a few times myself, but I'm glad to have the motivation of reading with other people this time around.

      Delete
  3. I was angry with Walls' parents as I read The Glass Castle until I came to the realization that they were both mentally ill. The book is still a compelling read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, I haven't gotten to that part yet, so I was just under the impression that they're total doofuses. LOL I'm actually glad there's more going on there.

      Delete
  4. I was hoping to read along with you on the Owen Meany book but I haven't yet managed to find my copy. Ah, well. Someday, I'll get my library in order.

    Sorry about the migraine. I've got a mild one, today. Hoping it won't grow to full-blown. Husband took the day off so we're going to the art museum with some new friends. We spent our 4th of July working on the old house and playing with the furballs. It was a pleasant day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It runs through August, so if you find it, feel free to join up with us, Nancy!

      Hope your migraine hasn't gotten any worse on ya. It sounds like you have a fantastic day ahead.

      Delete
    2. I will join in if I find it in time! Thanks, Andiloo. I had the migraine all day and into the evening but woke up without it, so I'm happy. :)

      Delete
  5. A Prayer for Owen Meany seems intimidating. Good luck with the rest of your goals though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's intimidating to me, too.

      Delete
  6. I haven't read The Glass Castle yet, but a few weeks ago I read an interview the NYT did with Walls. Her mother lives with her now on her property and it doesn't sound like she's changed much. Congrats on a great reading month in June!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to check out that interview when I'm done. I just seriously want to strangle her parents. So crazy and irresponsible.

      Delete
  7. I'm struggling to get into my current read too. It's one of those that put me to sleep after 20 pages and doesn't really make me want to read. The problem is that it is a murder mystery so now I'm tied to the book just to see if I was right on my whodunnit guess. Let the skimming commence!

    I hope you have a migraine-free and very productive reading weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh nooo, Michelle. I know how that goes. I had to change it up or I would've started slumping. Looks like The Glass Castle will save me from that fate.

      Delete
  8. I loved A Prayer for Owen Meany...it's probably my favorite John Irving :) I do the same thing with chunksters though...it's nice to be able to break them up with something a little shorter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear it! I'm trucking along slowly but surely. :)

      Delete
  9. LOL! You sound like me today when I listened for 40 minutes and then opened my book when I got to work and realized it equated to 10 pages. It isn't quick for me either--the constant moving back and forth in time!!--but people keep saying that it picks up.

    Those parents are pretty damn awful, huh? Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, oh my gosh. Irving's novels seem to be an investment of time but the slow build up makes for some memorable characters. I need to get back to it today. I read all of The Glass Castle yesterday. THOSE PARENTS!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik