Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The Suicide Shop

This is not as morbid as you're thinking. I swear!!! It's  quite funny, and ironic, and satirical in fact. I love those things, and I love the cover. Mmmeeeow!

Here's a quick blurb courtesy of me: The Tuvache family lives in the distant future and it sucks. Large numbers of people want to kill themselves, including the Tuvaches, but they hold off since they have a moral obligation to provide an out for others via their shop. The shop is split into departments just like any other store, and my personal favorite was the "fresh produce section" where they grow deadly plants and concoct poisons that have to be kept refrigerated. but in the midst of all their willingness to provide a katana sword and ceremonial kimono for disembowelment or a ready-tied noose for hanging, the Tuvaches have their third child. Alan is an eternal optimist, and nothing puts a damper on suicide like optimism. 

TONGUE IN CHEEK. So funny. So cute. So clever. So GOOD!

So I've noticed--and this is not a new observation by anyone ever--that all languages have distinct cadences. But what really fascinates me is how that cadence can still be distinctive in translation. I have a really hard time with Russian novels in translation because it's not a comfortable cadence for me. French, on the other hand, seems to be a winner!

Jean Teule's novel, translated by Sue Dyson, is a pure delight. Beyond the cool and unique story, the language is just beautiful and there's a certain something that I've noticed in reading French subtitled films that definitely carries over to this novel. That cadence thing I was writing about up there. Now, given, this is also a stylistic similarity. The subject of this novel is quirky, and my favorite French film that I'm comparing this reading experience to, Amelie, is certainly quirky. And whimsical! Don't forget whimsy. There's lots of that in both this novel and the totally-unrelated-except-in-my-head film. But yes, this cadence of French language in translation is something I'm interested in knowing more about. That just means I need to read more contemporary French novels in translation. I'm game!

So if you're even mildly interested in reading this book, let me tempt you a little further...
  • It's short. About 169 pages.
  • It's cheap! $2.90 on Nook or $1.99 on Kindle.
  • It's unique and a potential slump buster. 
  • There's a twisty ending that you may love or hate. I wasn't terribly surprised by it. 
Have you found any gems lately that you haven't seen anywhere else around the blogosphere?  The only place I've heard about this one is BookTube. 

Pub. Date: September 2013
Publisher: Gallic Books Limited
Format: E-book
ISBN: 9781906040093
Source: Purchased and downloaded by me!


Day 2 Update for the BookTube-a-Thon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

Images by Freepik