Thursday, August 15, 2013

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

Let's just be truthful. The American cover of this book is unfortunate, so I snagged this version from Goodreads which is much more attractive. 

Now that we have that out of the way, I read Anna and the French Kiss, by Stephanie Perkins, when I was beginning to slump. I'd just finished Owen Meany and Life After Life, and my brain was in a fog. I literally thought to myself, "I'd like the reading equivalent of You've Got Mail." And that's pretty much what I got with this book. Ok, truthfully, it's more like the literary equivalent of French Kiss (also Meg Ryan, also awesome) but with a cast of adolescents.

Anna's dad is a successful author of the Nicholas Sparks variety, and when he comes into money through his writing career, he decides it would be best to send Anna, from her home in Atlanta, off to a French boarding school to learn something of the world. She quickly falls in with a solid group of friends including Meredith, the soccer player; Rashmi, the smart girl; Josh, Rashmi's boyfriend and an artist; and the uber-hot Etienne St. Clair, history-buff extraordinaire (rhymes!). Soon to be Anna's super-crush. 

Anna is slow to venture out into Paris, preferring to stay in her room (shades of Fangirl here). Etienne ends up showing her the sites, and she discovers the huge number of French cinemas (she's a movie buff and writer of reviews). There's a definite attraction between the two, but he has a girlfriend, and Anna is left wondering what will shake out. 

And that's pretty much it. I really liked this book when I was reading it, but in no less than three weeks I needed a refresher to write this review. That is, I remember bits, but nothing jumps out at me as particularly important. There's a lot of sexual tension between Anna and Etienne. OH! And she's mad at her best friend back in Atlanta a lot because of a scandal. And everyone's dad is an asshole. And everyone's mom is a pushover. And from there it bleeds into Fangirl and I'm lost. 

My favorite bits were definitely the little glimpses of Paris through Anna's eyes. Learning the lay of the land, experiencing the food, and some of Anna's discussions of Parisian history with Etienne were a lot of fun. I also really liked learning about her school. It is a school for American students in Paris, so it had a comfortable feel, and truthfully, I'm really jealous of their cafeteria choices. 

And yeah. Fun book. Brain candy. It kept me reading. I gave it three stars on Goodreads for a fun, upbeat story and for whisking me away for a few hours. 



Stephanie Perkins is seriously adorable. She's also written Lola and the Boy Next Door and hopefully one day Isla and the Happily Ever After will finally be published. I do intend to pick both of these up at some point in the future when I need fun reading. They would also be perfect for a readathon!


Pub. Date: December 2010
Publisher: Penguin Group
Format: E-book
ISBN: 9780525423270
Source: Gifted to me by a friend.


24 comments:

  1. I don't think I've read anything of hers. It doesn't sound like my cup of tea, but I'll keep her in mind for when I want a bit of sweet and easy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a slump buster or brain candy. Definitely.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad to have read your review! Most of what I've seen on this title comes from YA devotees, which is cool, but tends toward the squealy. I wasn't sure I would be into it. Of course, I do need fun distractions from time to time and this might be just the ticket. Plus, those blue streaks? She is so freaking cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've seen a lot of squeeing that way, too. Just keepin' things real. But it was a lot of fun.

      Delete
  3. Brain candy indeed. YA isn't usually my thing, but I was pleasantly surprised by this book - I read it quickly, it was cute and happy, and that was it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! Cute and happy is a good way to put it.

      Delete
  4. Hmm...cotton candy. Book and hair.

    I still want blue hair dang it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, I actually love the American cover! Haha. Yes, it's very girly (and cheesy), but I dug it. Totally love this one too, though!

    Glad you enjoyed this one! You're right: brain candy. I read it years back and remember really enjoying it at the time, but the details have also faded a bit for me. It did help spark my obsession with wanting to see Paris, though -- and I must. plan. that. trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was the cardigan that threw me off. lol Anna looks too prim and proper.

      And Paris sounds like a good honeymoon!?!

      Delete

  6. I love the new paperback covers! The actual book of the hardback is a rich purple color so I took my jacket off and just admire the purple. I love Anna but I can see how it wouldn't be very memorable. I liked the tension between the two of Anna and St. Clair. I loved seeing Paris through her eyes and the history. She just finished Isla and I think she's editing, so it doesn't seem quite as far away now!


    Also: I follow you on feedly but I've got both feedly and bloglovin and I seem to comment better on bloglovin and get distracted from feedly for some odd reason, so I added you on BL! I love your blog so much and always mean to come visit then I forget so hopefully I won't now! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I do love a good purple. I could get onboard with that. In this instance I just have the digital copy, so I never see it. :(

      Awesome! Thank you for adding me to your Bloglovin! I look forward to seeing you more often. ;)

      Delete
  7. Sometimes this is exactly the kind of book I need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I was a little surprised at how quickly I forgot the details, though. I think it might've been because I read Fangirl in quick proximity. Some of the overarching themes and details were similar and they got all mixed up in my brain.

      Delete
  8. This one sounds like fun. I'll definitely be downloading it on my kindle. Seems like the perfect book to pick up after the two books I've been reading lately (SAVE YOURSELF and HUMAN REMAINS). I think I'm going to need something light and fun. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a lot of fun, and a good book to follow up a string of serious, more taxing reads.

      Delete
  9. Fun is good! This sounds like a cute book. I am not sure I would have thought to pick it up having not read your thoughts on it, but you've definitely got me curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's super cute. Definitely check it out and let me know what you think!

      Delete
  10. Stephanie Perkins's hair is so pretty. I wish I were daring enough to put blue highlights in my hair but alas I never shall be.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The reading equivalent of "You've Got Mail?" That's about the best way to sell me I book I can think of!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read this a couple summers ago when I was in a similar state. And it is an enjoyable book. I have to admit that I have a mild obsession with Paris even though I've never been so I love books that whisk me away like this one did.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is exactly the kind of reading I need right now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The result of the great writing and breezy story is a perfect 'escape' book--great for the beach, great for a rainy day, great for anytime really as long as you don't want to take life too seriously. This is a feel-good book, and it delivers. If you like YA-Romance, definitely give this one a shot.

    Jasmine
    Great data for House Cleaning San Antonio

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik