Friday, August 16, 2013

Community Rocks! Join in This Stuff!

Oooh y'all. There's some real good stuff shaking in the blogosphere, and you'll have to forgive my shameless plugging. Starting....NOW!


The Estella Society will be hosting a readalong of The Historian, by Elizabeth Kostova, in conjunction with this year's RIP VIII reading event!!! Heather and I are SO EXCITED to host this readalong, and I hope you'll join us along the way!

Sign up HERE





This weekend is the much-anticipated (by me, how about you?) Dog Days of Summer Readathon! It's a weekend of relaxed nostalgia reading and Tweeting (#ddsummer). I am still waffling over my stack. And I hate to be boring, but I bet you anything I'll continue with the reading plans I already had in place for this month. Here's why...


The Sparrow makes me nostalgic for Yahoo! Groups. I met some of the most wonderful people (who blog! Still!) back in those groups. Namely, when I think of this book, I think of Les. She's the first person I remember posting about it. 

Travels with My Aunt, or Graham Greene in general, makes me nostalgic for my graduate school years. My friend Elise and I totally geeked out watching Donnie Darko, and I immediately read the Greene short story mentioned in the movie..."The Destructors." It remains a fave story, and it was one of those "aha!" moments when all of our studies and our new literary language came together in one big outburst. And there was wine. So fun! And since then I've read more Greene, and every time I think of that evening. 

Finally, The Sea of Monsters just reminds me of being a kid. I loved magical adventure books, and I adored mythology. DONE!

Soooo, yeah. Sorry if it's a boring "already seen it" kind of list, but I really wanna read these books! And I shall. I tell you, I shall. 




13 comments:

  1. I'd love to reread The Historian, especially with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yayyy! I'm glad you'll join us, Bellezza!

      Delete
  2. Woo hoo! I love fall anyway, but I'm going to love it MORE this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?? It's gonna be so awesome!

      Delete
  3. OMG how did you know I was planning on reading The Historian during the RIP challenge? So excited to have others to read with!

    I think your reading list this weekend sounds awesome. I'm stoked to be reading my kiddie favorites and almost started early - haha. This is going to be such an awesomely amazing weekend. Big thanks to you and Heather for hosting all of the fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, mind reader!

      So glad to have you reading with us. I'm gonna pop over to the university library for at least a couple of Roald Dahl books to add to my stack.

      Delete
  4. Oooh, geeking out over Donnie Darko! I did the same! Never read that story though.

    I'm giving nostalgic a sort of misinterpretation as I'm going with books I wish I had read earlier and that likely upon reading make me feel that way? I kind of need new comfort reading this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in on the read-a-long. I've had that big ole book sitting on my shelf for years. A read-a-long will get me reading it!

    Your Dog Days of Summer list is awesome! I'm impressed that you are continuing with your list. That would have given me an excuse to make another one...good at making them, not so good at following them ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope, after all these years (and all my gushing!) you aren't disappointed with The Sparrow. I don't see how that's possible, but ya never know, huh? Have a great weekend! Wish I could join in the fun, but I'm busy creating memories. Love road trips!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes yes yes yes and yes.. cannot wait for The Historian

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would join you to read The Historian, but as it was gifted to me, I want to wait until I can settle into the book I was given! If you guys host this read-along again next year, maybe I can join in!! Or, do you pick a different book each time for RIP!?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you're in for some great reading. I don't think I can take on such a long book as The Historian, but will watch to see what everyone says about it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay, this is the third time this week I've heard someone raving about The Sparrow...but up until now I had never heard of it before! Sounds like I need to find my way to a used copy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik