Saturday, August 03, 2013

Holy Crappoli! Look What I Read in July

Shut the front door! I read 12 books in July. I know, I almost had to slap myself to see if I was dreaming. What a great month, quantity- and quality-wise. These are SO not in the order I read them. Blogger makes life too miserable to try to do that.


Anna and the French Kiss, by Stephanie Perkins, was a quick, light read at the end of the month when I was recovering from a few heavies. 

The Astronaut Wives Club, by Lily Koppel, was a non-fiction gem. 

The Color Master, by Aimee Bender, will be reviewed this week. I had mixed feelings about this story collection, but ultimately, I'm glad I read it.


Girl of Nightmares, by Kendare Blake (#2 in the Anna Dressed in Blood duology) was a breakneck fast read. Review coming soon!

The Glass Castle, by Jeanette Walls, was a selection for the Estella Project. I am soooo glad it was recommended or I might never have picked it up. Crazy good book.

Good  Riddance, by Cynthia Copeland, is a humorous graphic novel about the author's divorce. A seriously fast read full of charm and universal emotions. 


Life After Life,  by Kate Atkinson, was much-buzzed but it left me with questions and uncertainty. 

Matilda, by Roald Dahl, was as charming as I remembered. It's prompted me to pick up more of Dahl's work for the upcoming Dog Days of Summer Readathon!

A Prayer for Owen Meany, by John Irving. Perfect!




A Little Princess, by Frances Hodgson Burnett, was a lovely book. A classic I've put off for far too long. 

Transformations, by Anne Sexton, was a poetry re-read for me. Her work is always breathtaking, but I wasn't as in the mood for this one as I'd hoped. 

We Have Always Lived in the Castle, by Shirley Jackson, blew my hair back. I absolutely loved it, gobbled it up in a day, and I'll be reading more of her work ASAP. 

So my new practice of reading one chunky book at a time with lots of little shorties around it is SO working for me. I'll keep this habit up and we'll see how August goes! School will be back in session and online classes will be hopping, so it should be interesting. 

How was your month?







30 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! I thought so, too!

      Delete
  2. You crazy little machine, you! I started The Last Girlfriend on Earth Last Night and as soon as I read the first few paragraphs of the first story I knew I was going to love it. I'm hoping some of the readathons and raedalongs I'm doing this month might get me up to your crazy pace :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I hope you like it as much as I did. My son's stepmom is also reading it and liking it so far.

      My crazy pace is dying down a bit with online classes on the horizon.

      Delete
  3. Well hot dog, look at you go girl! :D I'm glad that reading that way is working for you. I can't read more than one at a time. I've tried..big fat failure, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually end up focusing more on one than the other. But at least with one shorter book in the mix, I feel like I'm maintaining progress.

      Delete
  4. Wow what a great month! I should look to see how many I read this month. I have no idea why I don't do that. I like how you read one big book with the smaller books. The big ones scare me now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The big ones usually scare me, too. That's why I think this "system" works so well for me. I can always be making progress on something shorter while I'm reading a big chunky book. Voila! I keep track of my reading on Goodreads. It makes counting up at the end of the month so much easier.

      Delete
  5. I had a very good month, too! I'm lucky if I get 4 read and this month I finished 7!!

    I hope to get a chance to listen to The Astronaut Wives Club. It's not available at my library (on audio), but I'll keep checking. I'm so glad you enjoyed A Prayer for Owen Meany. It's such an amazing story! I read The Glass Castle years ago and couldn't begin to imagine growing up with parents like hers. I still remember the descriptions of their leaky roof, cooking hot dogs at a very young age, and eating butter. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great job, Les!

      I hope you can nail down a copy of The Astronaut Wives Club, too! It's so much fun. Owen was surprisingly perfect and awesome. And yes, those descriptions from The Glass Castle will stick with me for a good long while. Crazy!

      Delete
  6. Look at you go, Andi. That's awesome!
    I've written off Anna Dressed in Blood before, it looks like typical paranormal YA, but it seems I might have to reconsider it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sam! It does look like the typical, but I thought it was nice to have the story told from a male protagonist's POV. It was a lot of fun. I hope you like it if you decide to give it a try!

      Delete
  7. I read The Glass Castle this past month, too, and loved it. I'm hoping to read more by her soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never expected to love it so much, but it was great!

      Delete
  8. I'm especially amazed that Owen Meany was in that list; that took me a month to read by itself, but probably because I'm one of the few who hasn't knelt down before it. :)

    The library had Life after Life for me just after I saw your post (hey, give them five months, they'll relinquish the book from the Hold Shelf) so 80i'm anxious to begin that. After I finish Light Between The Oceans.
    Happy August!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me the better part of a few weeks, but I was reading little books along with it. Sometimes a whole smaller book in a day.

      I hope Life After Life works out a bit better for you than it did for me!

      Delete
  9. Damn, woman! You are a reading FIEND. My month has not been so productive with reading, but I got a good number of books read. I finally finished one of the nonfiction ARCs I've been struggling with, and got my review scheduled, so that's a relief at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am!!! It's slowing down a bit now, but I've sure enjoyed the ride! Glad you're clearing out some of the sloggier selections on your TBR. Maybe you'll be off and rolling now.

      Delete
  10. Okay to make "We Have Always Lived In The Castle" even a little more scary, the image of it is "twitching" (best word I can come up with) as I'm reading your post! Twelve books is an amazing reading month!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know, I like how you have your monthly book recap set up! I might have to copy that, if it's okay with you!

    -Rebecca @ Love at First Book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely fine with me! :)

      Delete
  12. Congrats on such a great reading month! I'm looking forward to your review of the Aimee Bender book.

    Here's to a great August!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iliana! I think it's up this Wednesday or Thursday.

      Delete
  13. Wow, you had a fantastic July! I've been stuck in a bit of a reading rut, but Joshilyn Jackson's Someone Else's Love Story is working to correct that right now.

    I've heard such good things about We Have Always Lived in the Castle... must look it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a REALLY good month. I can't keep up this pace for the long haul (I don't think), but it sure has been a wonderful, productive, bookish summer.

      I'm glad Joshilyn Jackson is getting you out of your slump. She's good at that sort of thing. :)

      And it's AMAZING! Read it. I think you'll adore it as much as I did.

      Delete
  14. You read twelve books including two chunksters?! You're amazing! I hope you have another fantastic month in August.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thrilled with myself. I'll admit it. ;) Here's hoping for August!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik