Monday, August 12, 2013

It's Monday, and I'm a Reading Nutball!

That's right, nutball. I'm pretty sure that's a fitting descriptor for me tearing through the books. And buying. Oh, the buying.


Rebecca is still going swimmingly, though I'm still trying not to read it so dang fast. In the meantime, I picked up The Song of Achilles, and while I've tried dipping into this one a couple of times before, it REALLY GRABBED ME this time, and I raced through it this weekend.

As for the buying, there was a sale at my local Hastings store (books, movies, music). All of their new paperbacks were on sale for 2 for $20. These books are usually $16 individually, so I made quite a savings! I felt slightly less guilty since there were savings involved.


Click to embiggen. These Penguin Deluxe Classics are totes worth it. I've read and loved Pride and Prejudice and The Scarlet Letter. Over the years, I've outgrown my mass market P&P and I have lost my physical copy of The Scarlet Letter. Wuthering Heights, on the other hand, was a book I appreciated more than I enjoyed, but I was also fascinated by it and captivated (puzzled?) by the perception that this book is a "romance" or a torrid "love story." It's screwed up, that's what it is. But I still want to re-read it and learn more from it. 


I also picked up the Penguin Threads edition of Little Women, a book I have never successfully finished. I am bound and determined now. 

What are you reading (and buying)? 

If you want to see ALL of the books I've bought in August (so far), check out the video below. And here's a bulleted list for those of you who are not so into the vlogs.
  • Summer at Tiffany: A Memoir by Marjorie Hart
  • The Panopticon by Jenni Fagan
  • The Gravity of Birds by Tracy Guzeman
  • Jamrach's Menagerie by Carol Birch
  • The Woman Who Walked Into Doors by Roddy Doyle
Plus the ones I mentioned above. Woot!




Hosted by Sheila at BookJourney!




35 comments:

  1. I've heard good things about The Song of Achilles! I'm looking forward to your review on Rebecca. I haven't bought any new books, besides preorders

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Achilles was seriously amazing! Loved it. Rushed right through. I need to pre-order a copy of Gene Yang's Boxers & Saints! Thanks for reminding me!

      Delete
  2. Achilles! Holy smokes did I love that book :)

    Look at those gorgeous editions you picked up! And savings too? WIN WIN!!

    Keep it up nutball! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really really good. And aren't they pretty! Yay savings!

      Delete
  3. Holy smokes, Nutball! I you are on a mad tear, but who am I too critize? Perhaps I get on these successful roller coasters myself just before school starts and I know my time will be severely limited. Still, can't believe you put down Rebecca even for one moment. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, yes, yes I am. I need to be prepping online classes, though. Oy!

      And it was TOUGH to put Rebecca down for even a moment. I'll be picking it back up at lunch today. :D

      Delete
    2. Whoa, sorry about all the typos I left earlier. I was up at the butt crack of dawn, as my Marine son likes to say, and clearly I was not up to the job of typing. Rest assured, America's children are still safe in my classroom. :)

      Delete
  4. Go, Andi! All the new books and PELs!! I feel like I shouldn't enable...but...they are just so dang pretty! Good luck with Little Women. I hate read every single page, but I did manage to finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are SO pretty. I just can't resist. LOL re: Little Women. I hope I can find something to "appreciate" in it.

      Delete
  5. Oh I love love love Song of Achilles!!! I can't wait to read your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was gooooooooooooood! Looking forward to reviewing it.

      Delete
  6. That are some great covers!! Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they pretty! Love them!

      Delete
  7. Oh man, I WANT that Wuthering Heights copy so bad. One of my favorite novels ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely need to re-read it. The cover is luscious.

      Delete
  8. I loved Summer At Tiffany's!! Hope you do too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I've seen some reviews but not many. I'm glad that you enjoyed it so much!

      Delete
  9. Now I know what happened. YOU took my reading mojo!! LOL
    Maybe I should drop everythng and read The Song of Achilles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, yes, yes I did. It's awesome. Read it!

      Delete
  10. I love when reading/buying binges happen - they always invigorate me!
    I loved The Song of Achilles - the author has an e-story coming out tomorrow called Galatea and I can't wait to read it.
    I hope you like Little Women. I read it for the first time last year and adored, absolutely adored it.
    I have recently purchased The Group by Mary McCarthy and The Member of the Wedding by Carson McCullers and have plans to buy a copy of The Hobbit this week. I watched the first movie last night and now want to know what happens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I just pre-ordered Galatea by Madeline Miller. lol Enabler!

      I love it when those reading/buying binges happen, too. I don't mind the buying so much when I'm doing lots of reading. I hope I like Little Women, too! Maybe third time is a charm?

      Enjoy your new purchases! I tried The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by McCullers and wasn't a fan. I've always wanted to try The Member of the Wedding.

      Delete
  11. I'm so glad you know what edition of Little Women that is! I saw it at a bookstore when I was in Baltimore and ended up not picking it up...I've regretted it since. It's SO cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it purty???! You should pick it up. Mos' def'.

      Delete
  12. Oh my gosh SONG OF ACHILLES!!!! LOVEDDDDDD!!!

    -Rebecca @ Love at First Book

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Song of Achilles is definitely up there on my TBR. I don't own it yet but anxious to hear what you have to say about it. Orange prize winner how could it not be good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's awesome! Can't wait to review it.

      Delete
  14. Just stopped in to gush all over Madeline Miller. Loved Song of Achilles and Galatea is really good as well. I really don't understand how you have been so restrained with Rebecca.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pre-ordered Galatea, so it should be waiting for me this morning. Can't wait to read it! And I'm back to Rebecca. I've been sneak-reading it at work this morning because our network is wonky and I can't do half of the items I need to do.

      Delete
  15. Penguin is making me rethink my shift to e-books. What yummy covers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I know the feeling. I still like a mixture of digital and print books. Sometimes because my eyes hurt and sometimes because I just want to hold a book in my hands.

      Delete
  16. All the pretty books! And Achilles! Way too much excitement in this post... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right??? So many good things. My bookish cup overfloweth.

      Delete
  17. I loved Achilles! I have the Penguin Threads edition of Little Women too. Maybe this time you'll love it! Focus on Jo, she's fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely focus on Jo. I think she will carry me through this time. :)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik