I got sidetracked with #ddsummer yesterday, so I did not finish any additional books until the wee hours of the morning (technically today, so it will count toward Bout of Books). I was having a hard time, finding Kitchen, by Banana Yoshimoto, a bit of a slog. It wasn't really what I expected, but once I accepted it for what it was, I flew through the remaining pages. I ended up liking it and rated it 3/5 stars on Goodreads. It probably deserved more like 3.5.
Total #ddsummer books completed: 3
- Arabel and Mortimer by Joan Aiken
- George's Marvelous Medicine by Roald Dahl
- The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson
I also started Summer at Tiffany, by Marjorie Hart, yesterday, so when I finish this one it will count toward Bout of Books. It's a light, fun memoir about two University of Iowa students who go to NYC in 1945 to spend the summer working as shop girls. By a twist of fate, they manage jobs at Tiffany and Co. I'm enjoying this one and speeding through it.
Also in my Bout of Books pool for the week:
- The Painted Veil by W. Somerset Maugham
- Geek Love by Katherine Dunn
- Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell
- Persuasion by Jane Austen
- The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell
- The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan
- Jamrach's Menagerie by Carol Birch
- Watchmen by Alan Moore
We'll see what sticks!
- 100+ pages per day
- Finish a classic (The Painted Veil)
- Finish a book that's been on my shelves forever (Watchmen)
Are you doing Bout of Books this week? What are you looking forward to?
Here's the video synopsis if that's your bag...