Monday, August 19, 2013

Monday Madness!

All the things! I have an early meeting starting in a few minutes, and my three online classes kick off today. AND it's the first day of Bout of Books!!! AND I had a great Dog Days of Summer Readathon this weekend! So here we go...


I got sidetracked with #ddsummer yesterday, so I did not finish any additional books until the wee hours of the morning (technically today, so it will count toward Bout of Books). I was having a hard time, finding Kitchen, by Banana Yoshimoto, a bit of a slog. It wasn't really what I expected, but once I accepted it for what it was, I flew through the remaining pages. I ended up liking it and rated it 3/5 stars on Goodreads. It probably deserved more like 3.5.

Total #ddsummer books completed: 3

  • Arabel and Mortimer by Joan Aiken
  • George's Marvelous Medicine by Roald Dahl
  • The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson

I also started Summer at Tiffany, by Marjorie Hart, yesterday, so when I finish this one it will count toward Bout of Books. It's a light, fun memoir about two University of Iowa students who go to NYC in 1945 to spend the summer working as shop girls. By a twist of fate, they manage jobs at Tiffany and Co. I'm enjoying this one and speeding through it.



Also in my Bout of Books pool for the week:
  • The Painted Veil by W. Somerset Maugham
  • Geek Love by Katherine Dunn
  • Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell
  • Persuasion by Jane Austen
  • The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell
  • The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan
  • Jamrach's Menagerie by Carol Birch
  • Watchmen by Alan Moore
We'll see what sticks!

Goals:
  • 100+ pages per day
  • Finish a classic (The Painted Veil)
  • Finish a book that's been on my shelves forever (Watchmen)
Are you doing Bout of Books this week? What are you looking forward to? 


Here's the video synopsis if that's your bag...




29 comments:

  1. Though I felt Summer At Tiffany could get too "gee golly gosh!" from time to time, it was a light and entertaining read! I finished it almost entirely on a train ride, actually. Love when that happens!

    And sounds like you're entering (or just continuing in?) a crazy busy period... hope everything works out well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there is definitely a Leave it to Beaver vibe. lol But a lot of fun so far. I'm about 80 pages in, and I just got past the part where Judy Garland and Vincent Minnelli came into the store! Fun!

      Delete
  2. Andi, I just don't think you sound busy enough. Maybe you should add a few more challenges and duties to your plate! :P

    Good luck getting all of your goals accomplished!

    -Rebecca @ Love at First Book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right??? It's sad how lazy and slothish I am. lol

      Delete
  3. Good luck with your bout of books plans and your classes! Take care and have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on getting through so many books during the readathon :)
    And you have Jamrach's Menagerie on your list? That book is incredible, although it's not about what it seems to be about, it's a whole lot more disturbing than you're expecting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do! I'm glad to know it's dark, actually. It sounds like an enigmatic book, but the description is really vague. lol

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you ended up liking Kitchen. I struggle with books at times because they're not what I expected and I have trouble accepting that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I expected more of a cozy "kitcheny" book but this was very much about loss and grief. Shocker! But it was good.

      Delete
  6. How did like the Dahl? I want to read more of his not-as-well-known titles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was awesome! It's an all-time fave of mine.

      Delete
  7. I'm giggling over how lazy and slothish you are.

    Can't wait to see what you read this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to check out what Geek Love is about, from your "twisted" comment, it sounds interesting! And Persuasion is one of my favorites, I hope you love it if/when you get to it! Jamrach's Menagerie sounds really interesting, too! I really want to read Percy Jackson at some point, it sounds good and most people seem to enjoy it! I hope you have a good reading week!

    I just got the comment notification for you comment while I was typing this! I love when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMGosh! Geek Love is tip of the top of the twisted meter. I heard about it recently from a BookTuber and I have to read it.

      I can't wait to read Persuasion!

      And that's awesome! Happy accident re: comments.

      Delete
  9. Glad that you got a lot of reading done! I didn't read as much but it was certainly fun. Summer at Tiffany is such a fun read! Hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it! And I'm very much liking Summer at Tiffany. I don't have much left, so I hope I can finish today.

      Delete
  10. That's awesome that you are still participating despite craziness at work combined with online classes starting up! I kept using those for excuses to not participate! Online classes are a lot of work and reading on their own, so 100+ pages is an admirable goal! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I've been teaching the same online classes for so many years that I've got it mechanized and streamlined by now. Or so I let myself think. lol

      Delete
  11. Nice collection of books for your bout of reading. Enjoy that, and enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How do you do it - you must share your secrets! :)
    I am so swamped with work and getting ready for vacation that I feel like my reading is just at a standstill. Best of luck with your classes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, I carve out teeny weeny bits of time. lol Let no time go to waste!

      Delete
  13. It sounds like you have great goals for the Bout of Books. I must get to reading some classics...if these new releases ever stop showing up for me at the library! #bookworm problems

    I hope your classes get off to a great start! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had so much fun diving back into classics this year. The more one reads of them, the easier they are to sink into. Or that's been my experience thus far. I stay awayyy from the library. It enables me too much. lol

      Delete
  14. Oooh, Watchmen - great choice! Thanks for hosting the Dog Days of Summer - loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm looking forward to it.

      Delete
  15. I've had my eye on Summer at Tiffany for quite some time. I think I may even own a copy. Somewhere! Glad to hear it's a light, breezy read. I need one of those right about now. The reading slump has hit!

    Sorry you didn't enjoy Kitchen. I thought it was pretty meh, myself. Bellezza sent me her copy and I slogged through it (Eeek! Was it really 5 years ago?!), but only gave it a 2/5 rating on my blog post.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik