Tuesday, August 06, 2013

On the WANT List

Quite simply, these are the books CALLING to me--howling perhaps?--from my Goodreads wishlist. There are plenty more, but these are the loudest right now.


Freedom Fries and Cafe Creme, by Jocelyne Rapinac. This one is published by the same press that did The Suicide Shop (Gallic). I cannot wait to read what looks to be another French gem!
Lucas sits in a Boston coffee shop, longing for a proper cup of French café . . .Juliette returns to Burgundy and the love she turned her back on . . .In Manhattan, live-in chef Armand is content with his life. And yet . . .This delicious story collection brings together a cast of characters from both sides of the Atlantic who all share a genuine delight in good food. Each story captures a moment when love is found, lost, or rejected. There is a story for each month of the year, accompanied by easy-to-follow recipes.

Gourmet Rhapsody, by Muriel Barbery, is another French novel in translation. I didn't so much care to finish The Elegance of the Hedgehog, but this novel is just too much to resist.
In the heart of Paris, in the posh building made famous in The Elegance of the Hedgehog, Pierre Athens, the greatest food critic in the world, is dying. Revered by some and reviled by many, Monsieur Arthens has been lording it over the world’s most esteemed chefs for years, passing judgment on their creations, deciding their fates with a stroke of his pen, destroying and building reputations on a whim. But now, during these his final hours, his mind has turned to simpler things. He is desperately searching for that singular flavor, that sublime something once sampled, never forgotten, the Flavor par excellence. Indeed, this flamboyant and self-absorbed man desires only one thing before he dies: one last taste. 


Chew, vol. 1: Taster's Choice, by John Layman and Rob Guillory. I don't know what's up with the foodie fiction. Let's just go with it, shall we? This one sounds like it falls on the much darker side, though.
 Tony Chu is a detective with a secret. A weird secret. Tony Chu is Cibopathic, which means he gets psychic impressions from whatever he eats. It also means he's a hell of a detective, as long as he doesn't mind nibbling on the corpse of a murder victim to figure out whodunit, and why. He's been brought on by the Special Crimes Division of the FDA, the most powerful law enforcement agency on the planet, to investigate their strangest, sickest, and most bizarre cases. 

The Painted Veil, by W. Somerset Maugham is one of those books that's been on my radar forever. While I've been buying a lot of Penguin English Library classics lately, I thought it would be nice to start grabbing a few of the Vintage classics from The Book Depository so I have some newer classics in the house, too. 
Set in England and Hong Kong in the 1920s, The Painted Veil is the story of the beautiful but love-starved Kitty Fane. When her husband discovers her adulterous affair, he forces her to accompany him to the heart of a cholera epidemic. Stripped of the British society of her youth and the small but effective society she fought so hard to attain in Hong Kong, she is compelled by her awakening conscience to reassess her life and learn how to love.



The Collector, by John  Fowles, is on my Classics Club list, and I will most likely order it soon. I also own The French Lieutenant's Woman, but this one is calling me a little bit more with what seem to be shades of Lolita. Anyone read it? 
Withdrawn, uneducated and unloved, Frederick collects butterflies and takes photographs. He is obsessed with a beautiful stranger, the art student Miranda. When he wins the pools he buys a remote Sussex house and calmly abducts Miranda, believing she will grow to love him in time. Alone and desperate, Miranda must struggle to overcome her own prejudices and contempt if she is understand her captor, and so gain her freedom.


Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy because it was discussed a lot in Owen Meany! There's nothing wrong with a little intertextual book buying inspiration. Right? And you know I had to snatch up at least one Penguin English Library edition this month. 
The chance discovery by a young peasant woman that she is a descendant of the noble family of d'Urbervilles is to change the course of her life. Tess Durbeyfield leaves home on the first of her fateful journeys, and meets the ruthless Alec d'Urberville. Thomas Hardy's impassioned story tells of hope and disappointment, rejection and enduring love.


What's on your "must own" list right now? 




22 comments:

  1. Okay, Chew sounds incredible and the art looks brilliant. On the TBR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can hardly resist. I haven't ordered it yet, but I desperately want to!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I keep trying to decide if I want the digital or the printed. Probably the printed.

      Delete
  3. I'm reading Tess sometime soon as well - have a real craving for Hardy during the Fall. I'd love to start collecting the vintage classics as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read ANY Hardy! Isn't that terrible! I figured if I was going to collect any other editions it would be the Vintage. And there are a few I can't get in PEL or clothbound that I want to snag Drop Cap editions of (Madame Bovary).

      Delete
  4. Well now I want all of them too.

    I loved Tess when I read it in high school; I'm almost afraid to reread it!

    And I want Chew too. Reading that aloud makes me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a REALLY long book to read in high school! That's awesome, though. I've heard a lot of people say they love it.

      I'm gonna buckle soon and buy Chew. I can feel it. ;)

      Delete
  5. I cannot believe I've never read Tess. I've been thinking about it ever since I read Owen as well. It's time. For sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Read Chew! Read Chew! Read Chew! Okay that's enough. ;-) Chew is a fantastic series. Just don't read it during your lunch break. The cover of Freedom Fries and Cafe Creme is pretty enough to go on my walls. I have a ton of ARCs sitting on my shelves right now so the desire to buy books is gone. . . for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, thank you for the warning. It looks awesome and offbeat and weird. All the things I love. And it is gorgeous isn't it??? I would totally hang it up. Hmmm. Framed books. There's an idea.

      Delete
  7. Just bought Tess d'Ubervilles on my nook from the Barnes and Noble classics edition. While the translations are marvelous, it's not quite the same thing as the one you're lusting after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds! And I just love these Penguin English Library editions. And they're SO affordable from Book Depository -- mostly less than $10.

      Delete
  8. Why am I not surprised that the majority of your "wants" have beautiful covers? :P

    My want list right now holds three top priority books: Eleanor and Park, Tampa, and The Fault in Our Stars.

    I'm on a buying ban because we are saving money (this being written as I drink my DD iced coffee, but come on, it's only $0.99), so I'm trying to beg, borrow, and not steal the books. I took your cue and actually tweeted the publishing company re: Tampa, but I think that since I didn't offer my kidney, they never responded.

    -Rebecca @ Love at First Book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, it's a package deal. Intriguing books with beautiful covers are a winning combo for me. ;) Especially if I'm buying the print version--not just the digital.

      And I need to lay off the books. In fact, after a couple of months of RIDICULOUSLY HUGE hauls, I've laid off. Wedding coming up. Need to save our pennies. :)

      And boo! Maybe you should offer another body part? They may be stocked on kidneys.

      Delete
  9. I'm not gonna lie. I'd be happy as a clam if Doctor Sleep showed up on my doorstep early.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to own Freedom Fries & Cafe Creme, it sounds amazing. The Painted Veil is on my classics club list and I'm really looking forward to getting to it.

    I'm actually feeling pretty happy with the books I own right now, although if Craig Brown's Habibi turned up on my doorstep, I wouldn't send it away....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT??? I have to have it, too. Simply must. I'm also very much looking forward to The Painted Veil.

      I'm pretty happy with my books, too. Now. Sort of. lol

      Delete
  11. I went on a Fowles reading binge a few years back, and liked The Magus best. The Collector is scarier but a quick read.

    To add to your weird foodie reads, may I suggest The Taste of a Man?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I think it's probably the book of his I know the least about (Magus). The Collector sounds warped. Maybe I'll shoot for reading it for RIP VIII too.

      And yes! Please do add to my foodie reads. I'm off to Goodreads to check out The Taste of a Man (great title).

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik