Monday, August 26, 2013

RIP VIII is HERE!


You GUYS, I'm so excited! My favorite reading event (in addition to the Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon) is upon us! That's right. It's time for Carl's Readers Imbibing Peril (RIP) event. And it's in its EIGHTH year!!!

I've had my Peril Pool of reading material ready for days, just waiting for Carl to pull the trigger (har har!) on this event.


Contenders are...
  • Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte, which I'm reading in September for the Septemb-Eyre event as well. This one is hosted by Entomology of a Bookworm, and it just happens to fall into the RIP VIII timeframe. Two birds, one stone and all that. 
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, by Sir Athur Conan Doyle
  • Geek Love, by Katherine Dunn
  • The Angel Maker, by Stefan Brijs
  • Full Dark, No Stars, by Stephen King
  • Dracula, by Bram Stoker - Reading with Brooke in October
  • Burning Your Boats: The Collected Short Stories of Angela Carter
  • And not pictured, of COURSE I'll be reading The Historian, by Elizabeth Kostova, since The Estella Society is hosting the Peril of the Group Read this year! 


I hope you'll put on your brave pants and read The Historian with us. It weighs in at 700ish pages, but I know we can do it!!! Sign up HERE

I will be embarking upon Peril the First, to read four RIP-worthy selections. Probably more. I may also jump in on the Peril of the Short Story since I have a couple of collections in my Peril Pool anyway. 

What are you looking forward to for this year's RIP VIII? 




20 comments:

  1. Geek Love! Geek Love! You had your reading pool ready for days?! I'm still trying to get mines together. ;-) Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I have! And I take it you liked Geek Love??? I'm excited to try it because it sounds SO twisted.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I really enjoyed it. Geek Love is like nothing you've ever read before. I can't wait to find out what you think of it.

      Delete
    3. Oh yea. If you thought Aimee Bender's latest collection was weird, you haven't seen anything yet. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Jane Eyre, Sherlock Holmes and Dracula are all among my favourite reads! I wish you enough time to read them all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am joining too. I think my post is scheduled for this weekend. I have Dracula on my list but I am not sure if I will attempt it or not. I REALLY want to read the new King book. It comes out in Sept, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray! Wondrous! I love this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always found out about this after it has started, so I'm so excited to see the posts in time to join this year! Now I just have to decide what to read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! I forgot this was coming up and just signed up. I plan on re-reading "The Historian" with the Estella Society read-along; also "Rebecca" and a lot of Stephen King. I might re-read "The House of Seven Gables." And I'll be watching all my favorite scary movies (The Shining, Sleepy Hollow, The Ring, etc.). Woohoo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh thanks for reminding me about Geek Love! I've been meaning to read it forever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alright Andi, I am not a big fan of the scary stuff. But your post makes it sound like fun and I am next in line to read Night Film. I'm gonna try it this year, but I will probably be reading the books at 11 a.m. outside in the sunshine...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm digging The Historian off of my shelves tonight! I can't wait to get started. It looks like you have a bunch of great reads here...enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Geek Love! I was so excited to see it on your list! What an absolutely weird and wonderful book. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Angela Carter! Argh. I'm going to have to put her on my list. Thanks for the reminder! Happy reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. All those books have such nice covers! As I just told you on Twitter I want the Angela Carter. I usually buy a book for the challenge... Maybe I should go see how much that is.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need to get that full collection of Carter's work. I LOVE the Bloody Chamber collection and will definitely be reading at least one or two selections from it during this event. I think one of the things I'll do this weekend is get my short story collections in order that I want to sample from so that they are close at hand.

    Thanks for joining in, and thanks again for co-hosting The Historian. I'm crazy excited about getting started on it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love all the Holmes and Jane Eyre plans people have! I love them both--can't wait to hear your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This look like a WONDERFUL list! I'm sure you will have so much fun this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Right now I'm reading The Return of Sherlock Holmes and love it. I read Jane Eyre earlier in the year, but had to watch a few movie adaptations to appreciate it more. I will also be reading Dracula in October for this challenge. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik