Sunday, August 18, 2013

TSS - Dog Days of Summer Readathon Check-In!


Good morning, bloggedy bloggers! This weekend I've been reading for the Dog Days of Summer Readathon, and what fun we've had! It's been a relatively small group, in comparison to something like the 24 Hour Readathon, but still tons of fun and frivolity and discussion. 

If you'd like to check in or wrap up your reading, check out the post at The Estella Society. 

So far I've read three books:


Arabel and Mortimer by Joan Aiken -- this series was a fave of mine beginning in 5th grade! I still love them. Arabel and her pet raven, Mortimer, get in all kinds of trouble. If you like Roald Dahl you'd probably like these books, and they're illustrated by the same gentleman who did the Roald Dahl classics, Quentin Blake. 

George's Marvelous Medicine by Roald Dahl -- another fave from childhood. I loved Matilda when I was young, but this one is another silly fave. George concocts a "medicine" for his crotchety grandmother with silly results. 

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson -- Perhaps I should've saved this one for RIPVIII, but I couldn't wait!!! Creepy and wonderful. Review coming soon. 

I still have a pretty sizeable chunk of the day before Greyson comes home, so I'm planning to read...

 

The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett -- This has been my "putting Greyson to bed" book lately. He likes for me to sit with him until he goes to sleep, so I've been reading this one while he's going to sleep in 15-30 minute bits all week. I can finish it off in no time. 

Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto -- This book came this week from paperbackswap.com and I can't wait to read it. Two short stories in one volume by one of Japan's most celebrated authors. 

The Sunday Salon is an opportunity to share your Sunday reading with others via a Facebook group. Jump in! It's fun! 

Also, here's a video update about #ddsummer if that's your bag!

15 comments:

  1. I'm so out of touch I didn't realize there was a readathon, this weekend. Looks like you're having a great time! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a wee tiny readathon. It was fun and very laid back.

      Delete
  2. I know you must be sick of hearing this from me by now, but I would have loved to join you. I was working yesterday unfortunately or fortunately, depending on your view. Today, I'm reading The Undertaking: Life Studies from the Dismal Trade by Thomas Lynch about his being a funeral director and a poet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all, Bryan! I wish you could've joined us, but maybe next time? And The Undertaking sounds fascinating!

      Delete
  3. I'm starting to feel a little guilty here today about reading the weekend away but it's been nice here so I've been on the patio a lot. You sure are getting more reading done than I am, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you've enjoyed your patio time! Having a weekend to read is a nice luxury sometimes.

      Delete
  4. Woo hoo! You're kicking ass! Sorry I feel off the face of the earth. One of my lovely migraines hit and I tanked. Feeling better though, so hoping for a strong close!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you! I'm just glad you're feeling better.

      Delete
  5. Don't you just love Paperback Swap? It's the best!

    Anyway, I always want to participate in more blogging events, but sometimes I just don't get around to it. I try. And I'll be doing Bout of Books at least somewhat, which will be good. And Dahl is just amazing. Plus, I'm glad you showed the other book with the same illustrator. I had to do a doubletake to notice that it wasn't a Dahl book, too!

    -Rebecca @ Love at First Book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I DO love it! I just joined recently, and it's great.

      Here's wishing you luck with Bout of Books!

      Delete
  6. I was so excited to participate in this more fully, then I came down with this awful cold that basically left me laying on my couch all weekend watching television instead of reading. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww! I'm sorry, Kim. I hope you're feeling much better now.

      Delete
  7. A lot of people participated in this and I was not even aware of it. Granted, I was mostly offline this past week. I just couldn't get my act together! Today though, I plan to spend a good chunk of time getting my calendar in order and I wrote two reviews so this week is looking good.

    I love your video. I need to do a video someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's nice to step away from the 'puter. :)

      Delete
  8. I'm sorry I couldn't join in on the readathon but look at you and three books - awesome! I'm looking forward to Dewey's readathon. It's been forever since I've participated in one!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik