Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Celebrating Successful Summer Reading!

YOU GUYS!!! Back in June I wrote this summer TBR post. I mentioned that I'm horrible at sticking to TBR plans, but I went through the exercise for Top Ten Tuesday anyway. I never thought I'd ACTUALLY follow through with reading the list! I managed to read nine of the ten books I posted about before the official end of summer (September 21st)

Here are the books I read, and I've even reviewed all of them!



The Astronaut Wives Club by Lily Koppel, a quick-reading, engaging non-fiction book about the people who made the space program tick in the 50s, 60s, and 70s. 

The Illusion of Separateness, by Simon Van Booy, is possibly my fave Van Booy book to date! The short vignette chapters played to his strengths as a short story writer, but it had a cohesive, novel feel since it all tied together. 

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, by Alan Bradley - I adored this book! It's so quaint and charming and full of Britishness. You can clicky to check out my video review since the written one has not posted here yet. 


The Song of Achilles, by Madeline Miller, was a touching, innovative take on one of the Trojan War's most famous heroes, Achilles, and his love, Patroclus.  

The Ask and the Answer, by Patrick Ness, is my favorite of the first two books in the series. It was full of action and intrigue but it didn't rip my heart out in the "hide behind your hands" way that the first book did. 


The Glass Castle, by Jeanette Walls, was a touching memoir of family, endurance, and resourcefulness. Even though her parents were ape-poo crazy. A new favorite memoir, for sure. 

 A Prayer For Owen Meany, by John Irving, was just a great book. Detailed, involving, and perfectly woven together. 

The Sparrow, by Mary Doria Russell, holds a new spot on my all-time favorites list. It was a touching, involving, funny, divinely human book. So many wonderful things to say about this one. 


The Crimson Petal and the White, by Michel Faber, was like a classic Victorian novel on crack. It was gross, it was crass, it was awesome! 


The only book I didn't get around to from my list was The Dangers of Proximal Alphabets, by Kathleen Alcott. And it's kind of crazy since this is a relatively short book! But I started reading it near the beginning of the summer, I got 60 pages in before I had to pick up some other things, and I just haven't gone back to start it over. It's a great book so far, so I'm looking forward to tackling it before the end of the year. 

How did your summer reading stack up? Did you make plans and stick to them or prescribe to more of a free-flowing philosophy? 


13 comments:

  1. Ahhh, what a beautiful book-filled summer! Way to go! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wan't it? All such great covers, too. lol

      Delete
  2. You certainly had an awesome summer of reading! My own time with books has been abysmal lately. Like, really bad -- the worst ever in my history of blogging and keeping track of what I've read. I think I'm on book No. 41 for the year, and normally I'm at 70 by now. Sigh. But with the two weddings this fall, my mind has certainly been preoccupied! I hope to get back on track after January and have a gangbuster 2014.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it's pretty understandable with ALL THE THINGS you have going on right now. I'm sure once you settle into a new groove, you'll bust the books like crazy.

      Delete
  3. Awesome reading season, it seems! I've never been good at TBR lists (I very purposefully make my challenge lists several times longer than they need to be so I can pick and choose based on my mood), but I really need to pick a select stack of books and stick with them one of these days. I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be really bad at it, but my TBR is so big nowadays, having a smaller stack to choose from can actually be really helpful. We'll see if I can do it again for autumn!

      Delete
  4. I'm so jealous of people that can commit to things like this and actually do it! I can barely get through the books I want to read in a single week :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great variety of books! And, I have got to read the Crimson book one of these days, I mean, with that description how can I resist! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. 9 out of 10?! That is so awesome! Way to go! I'm trying to get better at sticking to a shorter set list. One of these days I hope to succeed! Do you think you will try to stick to a list again or did it feel constricting?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not only did you get nine of them read, you liked them all. Victory!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reading went okay this summer, good some months, not so good others. My favorite still probably was Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple, which I read toward the beginning of the summer. As my plan was to be more free flowing with my reading, I think I did pretty well. I'm stalled, though, at the moment as I wait for a book to come in from hold at the library. :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome! I got through 6 books on my summer TBR and I'm in the middle of one of them now, ha! I hope to do better with the my fall list. I did read other books too, I just wasn't great at following the list. And reviewing, not so great at the reviewing all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great summer of reading you had! I am still working at being okay with how little I read these days. I feel like I hardly read at all anymore. Sometimes that's true, sad to say. I read some really awesome books this summer though so I really shouldn't complain.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik