Friday, September 13, 2013

Friday Frivolity!

So I spent Wednesday afternoon driving to Austin, Wednesday night doing fun stuff in Austin with David, went to a state social media meeting on Thursday morning, and drove back home in the afternoon.

 I was famished by the time I got to town, so David and I whipped over to Pappasito's Cantina (chain!!!) for dinner. I didn't feel like ferreting out any holes in the wall, and this place is wicked good, even if it is a chain. I got the taco trio...cantina-style tacos, one shrimp, pulled pork, and a brisket. So good!



No trip to Austin is complete without a trip to BookPeople, one of the biggest and most prestigious indie bookstores I've ever encountered. I picked up a Penguin Drop Caps edition of Madame Bovary, by Gustave Flaubert. Heather and I read it a few years ago, and I don't own a physical copy, so that I thought this one was the ticket. BookPeople has a beautiful section of Penguin editions, so I always buy at least one. 




I also picked up this random chocolate that David told me about. Cornflakes? Yep! Just tasted like a Nestle Crunch bar, really. 


Austin has a great foodie scene, and when I saw Kick Butt Coffee down the street from my hotel, and checked out their website, I knew I had to go there. They have a huge coffee variety, delicious "ugly" muffins, sandwiches at lunch time and they're open for booze, coffee, music, and poetry in the evenings. 

The drive back home seemed longgg, but I was glad to see Greyson and get plenty of kiddo hugs. And I spent the evening doing a couple of coats of this...


Today I'm catching up at work, and David will be on the scene tonight because this is our 1-year-back-together anniversary weekend. Cheers! 





20 comments:

  1. Congrats on your anniversary!! We're heading to New Mexico next week to celebrate ours a little early. 25 years!!

    Gotta find that Ritter Sport candy bar! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Les! Congrats on your upcoming 25th! Y'all have a wonderful time in New Mexico!

      Delete
  2. Everything looks delicious! And I'm a huge nail polish fan but you know, I don't own a gold! I do own gold crackle (which looks fab over dark colors like black or eggplant).

    Rebecca @ Love at First Book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first gold. I keep seeing it on fall trends lists, and the university I work for is blue and gold, so it fits! I like it a lot. More than I thought I would. I bet that crackle is heavenly.

      Delete
  3. Those tacos look scrum-deli-ump-tious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chooooocolate. So hungry right now, anything would do -- but chocolate with cornflakes? Yes and please!

    Congrats on your anniversary -- hope y'all have a fab weekend! I really need to paint my nails. Majorly overdue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you re: anniversary! I'm pretty starving, too. Must hold out til 5 (or 6).

      Delete
  5. It all sounds fabulous! The tacos and books look equally delicious to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were amazing!!! One shrimp, one pork, one brisket. Huzzah!

      Delete
  6. A trip to Austin sounds like so much fun! I can't believe it's already been a year for you and David! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe it either. Time flies!

      Delete
  7. On a diet so this post made me jealous! And hungry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm getting back on one. Oy!

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun even though it was REALLY quick.

      Delete
  9. I love Austin! I lived there for two years while I was in grad school at UT, but I haven't visited since 2007. I really need to make a trip out there.

    Congratulations on your anniversary! Your gift is just beautiful and so thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky girl! I bet grad school at UT was fun, not to mention the area. :)

      Delete
  10. Booze AND coffee in one joint? Yup, that's the place for me ;)

    Yummy food and pretty nails!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ma'am! Heaven on earth!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik