Monday, September 30, 2013

Recovering from September

September was a beast! The culmination came over the course of last week and the weekend. I've been a part of a local leadership institute since last spring, and we finally finished all of our obligations with a HUGE BBQ fundraiser designed to help fund the next class. Let's take a tour through pictures, shall we?

Sorry if you've already seen these on Instagram!

One giant smoker made from a 5,000 gallon fuel tank.

50 briskets.

A tree trunk to fuel the fire for smoking the meat. 

This was the assembly line where we put together about 1,700 sandwiches.

This was the end of the day. 
I worked a regular workday last Wednesday, and then we bagged 1,700 cookies. Then I took off at noon on Thursday and delivered water bottles, chips, cookies, and BBQ sauce (all packaged individually) to my departments with the largest orders. I sold 200 tickets, by the way. What do I keep doing this overachiever thing?

Then we smoked the briskets 'til around 10pm. And last but not least, we spent all of Friday--from 8am to 9:30pm--making sandwiches, sacking lunches, delivering during the lunch hour, and finally we finished the night with a tent and sales on the town square for a local festival.

My body hurt. A lot.

Now that the fundraiser madness is over, I should be able to read a bit more and not be such a nutcase. Sadly, I only finished four books in September, which is way down from the 10-12 I finished each month during the summer. I knew the quantity would take a dive, but I'm happy to report that the quality is still up, up, up.



The only one I wasn't super crazy about was Vile Bodies, by Evelyn Waugh. But there's a review coming up, so I'll talk more about it then. It wasn't a total wash, just my least fave of the month. 

Now onward and upward to October! I have some big goals. We'll see how it all shakes out. 

And Mudbound sneaks in under the radar! Finished before October 1. 









24 comments:

  1. Wow, what a huge undertaking! I can see why you had Advil at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was crazy. All-told, I think we sold around 1300 meals? Something like that. So glad it's over. lol

      Delete
  2. Woah. That is a lot of food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh yes. It was crazy, and it smelled so good. lol

      Delete
  3. That event sounds very intense! You sound awesome at fundraising! I'm glad the quality of the books is still high! Speaking of: I am exactly halfway through The Sparrow! It is really good, but I'm scared to go on, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We had a group of about 12 handling things. I'm so glad you're enjoying The Sparrow, but I know what you mean about being scared to go on. Eeek!

      Delete
  4. I saw your pictures on Facebook - you deserve a break girl! Congrats on doing so well with your fundraiser and now enjoy the extra reading time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Now we have a donor dinner coming up on Friday night of this week, and we have the Read-a-Thon next week. So much for that break. lol

      Delete
  5. Holy cow! Like, literally because that's a lot of freaking brisket! I'm super impressed. You just keep on overachieving, and I'll keep cheering you on from several states away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, yes, yes it is. It was delicious cow, too. I have a whole mess of it frozen for later when I'm in the mood for it again. Thank you for the cheers!

      Delete
  6. Wow, your fundraiser sounds impressive. I can't wait to read more by Patrick Ness. Looking forward to your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was a bear of a fundraiser, for sure. And I can't wait to read more Ness, too!

      Delete
  7. I saw the photos on FB and I was amazed: I have never seen such a barbecue before!!
    About the books, I think that quality is what matters, so it's perfect!
    Let's go to October :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I turned the corner and saw that humongous smoker, I was totally taken aback. Unbelievable!

      Delete
  8. That is a ton of work! Look at that giant smoker..jinkies! I bet it smelled AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG yes. It smelled SO GOOD.

      Delete
  9. Dude, that was a lot of meat.

    I'm glad I have Mudbound, because the more you mention it, the more I want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A. Lot. Of. Meat. So much meat. lol

      And read Mudbound! It will grab you by the hair.

      Delete
  10. Oh wow, I'm tired just looking at all that work you had to do! I can imagine that Aleve came in handy ><

    ReplyDelete
  11. God, I miss proper barbecue in NY. You get all excited because there is BBQ and then it is burgers and hot dogs and that is THE WORST. That small rant aside - congratulations on such an impressive event! It looks like it went well, even though it seems very exhausting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1700 cookies? I don't know if I could do that without eating about 100 of them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik