Wednesday, September 18, 2013

The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness

This is a middle book in a series. Doing my damnedest not to spoil anything. I couldn't respect my own self in the morning if I ruined anything for you. 

First, let's just get this out of the way...

THIS BOOK WAS SO GOOD. 

That good. It was all-caps good. So yeah, this is the second book in the Chaos Walking trilogy, and the first one nearly broke my heart. I can't say I've ever read a book that so thoroughly put me on the edge of my seat. To the point that I almost wanted to hide behind my hands at times. A lot of the time actually. I loved the characters almost immediately and I was so afraid for them.

In this book, there's still plenty to be afraid of, but it's not the insanely frenetic pace of the first book. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of action, intrigue, and plot movement, but it didn't make me hide behind my hands. Ness himself said in an interview that he wanted to write a book about flight, a book about tyranny, and a book about war, and this is one of the best books about tyranny ever. 

There were times that I thought to myself, "So that's how Hitler would've swayed a society into something soooo not good for them." There's one mangy character in this book that is so very convincing, so very e-vil, he's just fascinating. 

Our protagonists, Todd and Viola, are still awesome. Todd is a bonehead sometimes, but what teenage boy isn't? And Viola is one tough cookie. They both show themselves to be fallible but heroic in this book. Potential leaders of their society. 

So you notice this post is awfully light on plot points. That's that no spoilers thing I mentioned. I'm ok with it. If you haven't gotten in on this series yet, there's no time like the present! I'm taking a brain break before I whip out Monsters of Men, but it won't be long before I can no longer wait to dive into the last book. 

Pub. Date: October 2010
Publisher: Candlewick
Format: E-book
ISBN:9780763652173
Source: Bought it!

11 comments:

  1. Love this trilogy so, so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! So so so good. I'm excited to see how it all wraps up.

      Delete
  2. I suppose you already know how loudly (in my head) I'm squealing. I CANNOT WAIT FOR YOU TO READ MONSTERS OF MEN. If you're not gut-wrenchingly in love with that book, I'll eat it.

    Not really, but still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I'm sure I'll adore it. I can't wait!

      Delete
  3. I want to pick this one up so badly!! I'm also glad to here the edge of your seat-ness, frenetic pacing is tuned down just slightly. Because the first book was TOO MUCH. Yay for Patrick Ness!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it would've killed me if it had been as intense as the first book. The first book was just stressful!

      Delete
  4. My sister loved this whole series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So great, one of the few series I enjoy. I'm so looking forward to reading some of his new novels!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aaaaa this book. I'm glad you liked it! I am prone to liking the depressing second installments of things best, and I do The Ask and the Answer as well. Oh man. Wait until you get to Monsters of Men. So many things happen. You will have so many feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. MUST READ THIS TRILOGY. I am in the middle of a massive Patrick Ness love-fest right now and, even though all of his books have made be sob like a baby, I am determined to read every single one of his novels. Be it YA or adult!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely, without a doubt, this book is worth your time.(You must have read the first book to understand anything in this one though.) Take out your calendar and clear a weekend because if you're like me, you won't be able to put it down. Now I'm on pins and needles in anticipation of the third book!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik