Thursday, September 26, 2013

The Historian Readalong - Midway Check-In!


The time has a'come to share my thoughts on The Historian at this-here midway point. Overall thoughts? It's creepy! 

1. What do you think of the structure of the novel? It’s a story within a story (sort of within a story). We have Professor Rossi’s storyline, Paul’s reflections, and the daughter’s adventures. And letters. There’s a lot going on!
I think it's effective, but that's not to say that it isn't annoying me just slightly! There are three stories: Professor Rossi in the olden days, Paul in the mid-olden days, his daughter reading letters from both Rossi and Paul. If dueling narrators annoy me, you know this gets under my skin just a weeeee bit. Though, truthfully, I think it is more effective, and it builds greater suspense than a straightforward narrative. But, I gotta tell you, with three first-person narrators hopping back and forth between them, or laying the book down for a day or two can really cause problems when ya pick it back up and try to remember what's going on. 
2. What are your thoughts on Helen’s characterization? Have you warmed to her?
Ugh, she's terribly unlikable but I don't think she's a blood-sucking fiend. She's just a cold fish. I hope she warms up at some point, but at 400 pages in, I have my doubts!
3. What do you think of the peripheral characters? Are their motivations pure? I’m thinking of Turget, Helen’s family members, etc.
I'm suspect of Turgut. Who JUST SHOWS UP in a restaurant? But then again, there are several instances of wonderful happy accidents. We'll see if they materialize into anything else later in the book.
4. Other thoughts on this book?
I'm liking it overall. Just wish the narration were a wee tad less complicated. But that's a personal peeve of mine. I have about 300 pages left, and I'm curious to see where it all goes! 

11 comments:

  1. I laughed out loud when I read your description of Helen's character. (I haven't read this book, but still laughed!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, it's true! She just lightened up a bit but it took forever.

      Delete
  2. Structure bothers me too but the details and story are just so interesting that I don't let it bother me too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. I just keep chugging along. Enjoying it, but I'm ready to be DONE!

      Delete
  3. scott larmer9/26/2013 11:38 AM

    it's okay. not my favorite book in that genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is your fave in that genre? Good to see you, Scott!

      Delete
  4. i loved that book, and especially how a book is within a book. I actually listened to it, and the narrator was fantastic with all the different accents. It was also a cool way of traveling to many countries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's quite confusing with all the things within things. But good. And fun. And creepalicious.

      Delete
  5. As much as I've loved this book, and I do, the narration bogged down a bit for me, too. But it picks up again for the conclusion, in my opinion, and I end up being satisfied with the overall thing. Can't wait to discuss the conclusion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have 200 pages left. This probably makes no sense, but as much as I'm loving it, I'm SO READY TO BE DONE.

      Delete
  6. Obviously, I read the post about Dracula first since I asked if you had read this one, so feel free to ignore that part. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik