Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Peanut by Ayun Halliday and Paul Hoppe

I often try to use Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon to read at least one graphic novel. It's a genre I really love, but I don't read as many of them as I'd like because a) they're expensive and b) my library doesn't have a great stock. 

I happened to pick up Peanut, by Ayun Halliday and Paul Hoppe, when I was browsing for my potentials pile, and this turned out to be a delight. It's not a gn I'd ever heard of, but I'm definitely glad I picked it up. 

Sadie has changed high schools A LOT, and it's pure torture. So during this latest move, she decides on the BRILLIANT plan to fake a peanut allergy. It will make her unique and give her something to talk to people about. And the real kicker? It works! But as you can imagine, she soon begins to realize how inconvenient it is to have to remember to fake a peanut allergy. Her anal-retentive homeroom teacher wants her to turn in her EpiPen to the school nurse, her mom almost catches her wearing an allergy alert bracelet, and her friends FREAK OUT when she almost eats a chip cooked in peanut oil. 

While a peanut is a fairly innocuous thing, the peanut becomes the center of Sadie's life! But at least she has a new group of friends, and a boyfriend, and a supportive mom. Right? Nothing can go wrong! 

This was a really cute, funny book. And what a premise. Who knew that damn peanut could cause such problems! lol  It's a simple plot with simple characters, but I was charmed by it, and also by Paul Hoppe's artwork.


His style is just the clean, contemporary look that I like with little pops of color and expressive characters. While this graphic novel is certainly not the deepest you'll read, it's great fun and a good way to spend an hour. 

And when I was looking up the publication info to drop in below, I found out this is targeted to the 11-14 age group. No wonder it was a little lighter on the content side! Definitely worth picking up from the 'brary or adding to your kiddo's bookshelves (and sneaking a peek on a rainy afternoon). 

Have you read any graphic novels lately that you would recommend? 


Pub. Date: December 2012
Publisher: Random House Children's
Format: Graphic Novel
ISBN: 9780375865909
Source: Library

22 comments:

  1. This sounds like a good one Andi :) I'm a big fan of reading graphic novels during the read-a-thon as well. Thanks to your glowing recommendation I read Boxers & Saints on Saturday. (They were AWESOME) I'd like to pick up his American Born Chinese next. Have you read that one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG yes! Read American Born Chinese! It was his first book (I think) and the first one I read, and I've taught it in classes and I've read it umpteen times for fun and it is just STUNNING! So so good. And I'm so glad you liked Boxers and Saints. I've asked for the box set for birthday/Christmas! :D

      Delete
  2. Oh Peanut is a graphic novel? Cool! I've never read one but The Watchmen is on the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die list, so I just purchased it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! Watchmen is a definite classic. I've read a lot of graphic novels, but I haven't completed Watchmen yet. I might be about halfway through.

      Delete
  3. I like the look of the illustrations. Sounds like a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked this one too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I hadn't seen anyone else mention it, so I was beginning to wonder if anyone else had read it! :D

      Delete
  5. Had not heard of this one but I'll have to add it to my list. It's been such a long time since I read a graphic novel! I'll have to go check some out at the library soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! They're such a nice little break sometimes. I know they make me feel like I've accomplished something when my other reading is slow.

      Delete
  6. I'm having the same issues with graphic novels. I love them, but I have a hard time justifying buying them and my library doesn't have a great selection. It's a bummer, but things will change soon, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, too. Apparently my library just acquired the Scott Pilgrim series, which I'm pretty jazzed about. Just waiting for them to be processed.

      Delete
  7. I heard this one recommended somewhere else as well - maybe one of the many podcasts I listen to and can no longer keep straight? A good gn recommendation is always much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, could be! And agreed. I always need more gn recs.

      Delete
  8. The artwork is great. Graphic novels are not my thing but I think I just haven't found the right one to pull me in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried Maus and Persepolis? Those are the ones I always recommend people start with.

      Delete
  9. Ok I so have to read this one. My little fella has a nut allergy (epi-pen always in my bag) so I guess it kind of hits close to home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! Definitely. You'll laugh at this silly main character.

      Delete
  10. Hey daymaker - thanks so much for your thoughtful review!

    Graphic novels are very dear to our family, and the Brooklyn and NYC public library systems spoil us with their excellent selection.

    And even though it's my book you're reviewing, I'm going to yank the spotlight over onto my 13 year old son's project, The Graphic Novelologist blog:
    http://graphicnovelologist.blogspot.com/

    His latest entry is for Boxers and Saints, a 2-volume look at the Boxer Rebellion by the author of American Born Chinese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I recently reviewed Boxers and Saints. Absolutely love everything Gene Yang does! :D

      Delete
  11. This sounds really interesting! I know someone with a peanut allergy (I'm sure most people do) and faking it would be so difficult! I wouldn't want to, I love peanuts! I've never read a graphic novel but I always mean to get into them. I might have to see if the library has this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?? I didn't realize just how hard it would be until I started reading. You've never read a graphic novel??? Love them! I always recommend people start with Maus or Persepolis. I'd also probably include American Born Chinese by Gene Yang in those recs, too.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik