Tuesday, October 08, 2013

The State of the Reading

Ugh! Slumptitude! I think I may be coming out of it, but I've been slumping for the better part of a week. Basically, since I finished Mudbound, by Hillary Jordan, because it's so dang amazing it killed my mojo for all other books.

Over the weekend I started and stopped several books. And some of you are going to be shocked...


These are probably the two books I've been most excited about this season, and they are both DNFs. I gave them 75 pages each to grab me and it just didn't happen. With Havisham, the choppy writing warded me off. Literally, it's told in these just-a-few-paragraphs-long chunks. Weird. And more like telling than showing. Ugh!

As for Antigoddess, I just didn't care about the characters after 75 pages. It was an easy, quick read, but I wasn't enjoying it. Given, I'm picky when it comes to books that serve as mythological retellings or continuations, and I read one of the best of the best this year with The Song of Achilles. Maybe that squashed my enjoyment of this one. 


On the flip side, I didn't think I was in the mood for Dracula or Kindred, the two books I'm supposed to be buddy reading this month. However, when I picked them up and dug in yesterday, they seem to be sticking just fine! Hallelujah! I've read about 50 pages of each, and I have no qualms continuing. 


Not sure how much I'll be reading this week since Heather and I are neck-deep in finalizing details for this season's Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon!!! We goofed and scheduled it for Canadian Thanksgiving, so we're definitely missing our friends to the north. Have you signed up? There's still time! 


And just in case you're curious, this is my RIDICULOUS Read-a-Thon "Potentials Pile." And no, I don't always keep it on the stove. It was the best light at the time. lol 
  • Fruit Baskets #1 (manga) by Natsuki Takaya
  • Bakuman #1 and #2 (manga) by Tsugumi Ohba
  • Deathnote 1-2 by Tsugumi Ohba
  • Will and Whit by Laura Lee Gulledge (graphic novel)
  • Peanut by Ayun Halliday
  • A Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett
  • Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
  • The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen
  • Paris: A Love Story by Kati Marton
  • The Wife by Meg Wolitzer
  • The Woman Who Walked Into Doors by Roddy Doyle
  • Light Boxes by Shane Jones
  • Garden Spells (re-read) by Sarah Addison Allen
  • Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See
  • The Known World by Edward P. Jones
  • Does This Baby Make Me Look Straight? (memoir) by Dan Bucatinsky
What's in your Readathon stack? 





25 comments:

  1. I just read Dracula for the first time a few years back (in fact, finished it during read-a-thon), and I was so surprised by how much I loved it! Hope you do too!
    I haven't read a single one of those books in your read-a-thon pool, but I'd like to read a lot of them! I did read a different graphic novel by Laura Lee Gulledge (Page by Paige), and really liked it a lot. Good luck with Dewey's Read-a-Thon!!! Still so very grateful that you Heather are at the helm now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Debi! It means a ton that you're glad we're running the readathon! :D Hugs!!!

      Delete
  2. I can totally relate to having difficulty get into another book having just finished a fantastic one. All books pale in comparison. Enjoy the downtown, your slump will lift soon!

    I forgot about the readathon. I hope it's not too late to sign up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely not too late, Amy! I hope you'll join us!

      Delete
  3. I'm not really in a slump - I just don't have time to read right now. Life is crazy! I keep thinking things will slow down but, so far, they're not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it's all good crazy and not stressful horrible crazy.

      Delete
  4. Ugh, reading slumps are the worse!! I am glad it seems like you seem to be coming out of it :). And I am so excited for the readathon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they?? Definitely coming out of it by reading Kindred, I just wish I had more time to read! I have a long meeting this afternoon, and methinks I will sneak some reading of this one in.

      Delete
  5. I was hoping to join the readathon this year, especially since it's a long weekend for me, but I am unable to. I need a more cooperative household! I am planning to read whenever I can that day though and so will be participating unofficially, all in the spirit of the event. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I know how that goes, Wendy! We love unofficial as well as official. :D

      Delete
  6. I feel like a lot of bloggers, myself included, have been in reading slumps. Tis the season...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must be! I think it's the switch from leisurely summer back into real hectic life. It's only gonna get worse with more holidays on the horizon. Ack!

      Delete
  7. I love looking at everyone's readathon piles! Hurrah for readathoning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Sarah Addison Allen's books! Garden Spells and The Girl Who Chased the Moon are my two favorites and the first two that I read, but I really liked The Sugar Queen too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them, too. Garden Spells was the first one I ever read, and I totally gulped it down. The Girl Who Chased the Moon was the first book I read on my ereader that SO thoroughly sucked me in that I forgot I was reading on a device. Good stuff!

      Delete
  9. I'm reading Dracula right now, too! Now I know who to bug when I need motivation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was thinking of joining the readathon this year, for the first time! but I'm in Canada, and yes it's our Thanksgiving weekend. It's already filling up :-( I'll be thinking of everyone and will read as much as I can. Thank you for putting it together again, and I hope it gets you out of your reading slump. You have enough books there for the start, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read Dracula last year. It was okay. I mainly just entertained myself by imagining Mina and Dr. Seward were in love and having a torrid affair.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You somehow passed your slumptitude germs my way! I am a reading slug. Down to the final pages of two books and have no idea what to read next. Not sure I even want to! I am so distracted. All I can think about is American Horror Story: Coven (airs tonight!) and roasted turkey. Yes, turkey. That's is what I am thinking about.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy readathon pile, Batman! You're going to be a busy booknerd this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so excited about the readathon :D When I saw your pile on instagram you totally made me nervous because I thought the books would burn :p Light Boxes was a really interesting read! I haven't read the Fruits Basket manga but I LOVED the anime series....it was adorable and super heartfelt. I hope your slump passes! Surely the readathon will get rid of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I’m bummed because we will be out of state visiting family all weekend. This is the first Dewey read-a-thon that I won't be reading all day since I joined the fun a couple years ago. I'm thinking I might count my reading on Friday night because we will have a 7 hour drive and then all day Saturday we'll be with fam. I'm not sure that counts, but I think I'm going to start my read-a-thon about 7 hours early : ) It's either that or nothing, so I think I'm going to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a bummer about Havisham. Showing and not telling will ruin a book faster for me than anything else so I totally get it.

    I'm so wicked excited about the Read-a-thon! Hooray! I've decided that I must make a caramel apple dip and I'm on the hunt for a great recipe today :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have fun! I still need to read Dracula. I don't know what is making me put it off because I have a feeling I'll love it. Have you read The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova? I loved it and that's what made me want to pick up Dracula, but that was years ago so I guess I'm slacking.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik