Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Top Ten Books I was FORCED to Read!


It sounds very dramatic, doesn't it? I was FORCED to read these! At gunpoint! In the snow! Walking uphill! Actually, these were books that I've had to read as an educator, whether I was teaching or being taught to teach (in graduate school). Or maybe it was peer pressure! That always forces me to read books (looks at my book group and Heather).


Inferno by Dante - I read it because it was part of the curriculum that one year I taught 9th and 10th grade. I had football players wanting to read the whole Divine Comedy. BOOYAH!

The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh - This was a book group force, and I liked it! I didn't think I would (like so many of our book group choices)...but I did!

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes - Another book group force, and another win. This one made me do the ugly cry, and y'all know how much I love that. 


The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak - Ok, another ugly cry book (this one from grad school). I think I bawled for a grand total of 250 pages. 

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness - Heather actually sent the e-book straight to my Nook for my birthday last year. She's pushy when she knows she's right. LOVED it!

Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman - Another grad school book, and a CRAZY touching one about a boy with a severe case of cerebral palsy. His body doesn't function well, but his mind is razor sharp, and he thinks his dad wants to kill him. 


Feed by M.T. Anderson - Ok, still not the final grad school book. This one deals with technology and how it can potentially frack up our lives. Soooo many similarities to our life today. 

Night by Elie Wiesel - Another book I taught to my 10th grade classes. This one is fabulous and it made the whole class cry and opened up some great discussion of history and its ramifications. 

Off with Their Heads! by Maria Tatar - The final grad school book, and the most academic of the lot. If you're at all interested in the history of fairy tales, and a sampling from various "types"...this is the book for you!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik