Sunday, October 27, 2013

Tutorial: Uniformly Sized Images on Blogger Sidebar

Back in 2004 and 2005 when I was a brand newish blogger, Blogger had massive problems and bugginess. Frequent outages, lost content and comments. It was just crap. These days things are much better, but as of late, I have discovered that Blogger has had some...glitches.

I first noticed this when Google Chrome updated itself recently. A bevy of problems happened on a bevy of sites. But in regards to Blogger, this seemed to affect new images added to my right-hand sidebar. I always snag my cover photos from Goodreads and because they are uniformly sized there, they used to be uniformly sized when I "shrink to fit" here. However, suddenly and annoyingly, the sizes were no longer uniform when I added new images. Some big, some little. For me, this is a major peeve. 

Luckily, there seems to be a workaround if you go through some of the steps in a specific order.

Click images below to embiggen!


1) First, head on into your Blogger dashboard and choose your blog's layout panel. 


2) Then you can choose to "Add a Gadget" and pick "Image" from the numerous choices. 


3) Now, this is where the order of things really comes into play. On the "Configure Image" pop up, type in YOUR TITLE FIRST. Then click the "SHRINK TO FIT" box. After these two items are taken care of, click CHOOSE FILE to find your image. Once it's pulled in, click SAVE. 


4) And finally, you should have uniformly sized images on your sidebar. The trick really seems to be in inputting the title, clicking "shrink to fit" and then choosing and saving the image. Blogger used to allow users to "shrink to fit" after the image was already chosen, but those days are gone now!

This is a really simple tutorial, but I figured if it was bugging me, it's probably bugging someone else, too! 

Happy blogging!









17 comments:

  1. Thanks, Andi. What irritates me is that each of the images now requires a title whereas in the past you could leave that field blank. I've had to resort to using // when I don't want any words to appear. Annoying!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! That irritates me too. I've been putting a ... in headings that I don't want to have actual titles. lol

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. You're welcome! I hope it works for you, too!

      Delete
  3. This has been bugging me too! So you have to go through Layout and basically start from scratch even if you're just changing the picture in a spot that you already have?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, yep. It's a pain in the ass, but if it works, it's better than throwing the computer across the room. :D

      Delete
  4. Great tip, thanks for this post. Sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for sharing it on Twitter!

      Delete
  5. I use Wordpress, but I liked checking this out since I know you'd only put together a fabulous tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great tip. I stopped adding book covers to the side bar for that reason. There were always different sizes...drove me crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope this workaround works for you!

      Delete
  7. I love when you do tutorials. I'm on wordpress, so this one doesn't help me specifically, but doggonit, this is nice of you. Yay Andi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks! It was driving me SO nutty, I knew I couldn't be alone. lol

      Delete
  8. I've discovered it some time before by myself, but it's very nice of you to make a tutorial! Blogger can be very frustrating, so using somebody else's know-how is sometimes the only way to cope with it...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is what I love about the blogging community. Instead of just fixing it on your site you took the time to share the fix with others. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you!! I've always been frustrated that sometimes I can size my images properly and sometimes I can't. Guess I never stopped to see if there was a pattern in how I was adding the picture.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik