Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Will and Whit by Laura Lee Gulledge

Willhemena Huckstep, or Will, is afraid of the dark. She's a high-schooler who jumps at shadows and dreads the idea of a blackout. She lost her parents in a car accident, and she lives with her aunt who runs her deceased grandparents' antique store. Will loves old things, and she loves building quirky lamps to drive away the darkness. She values her creative group of friends: Autumn, Noel, and Reese. She longs for a simple, more unplugged existence, until hurricane Whitney comes along and plunges the group into darkness and she has to face her own past. 

The description makes this one sound somewhat darker and more dramatic than it really is. The whole of the characters are upbeat and fun. 

My favorite part of this book was the illustration style. Will is consistently followed along by sandy, shadowy figures representing her anxiety about her past and the loss of her parents. The whole book is packed full of high-contrast illustrations that really brought the simple plot and cartoony characters to life. 

Like my previous review of Peanut, this is not the most developed plot. It's targeted to a middle-grade to young adult audience, and it's fitting to that age group. After reading and enjoying Will and Whit, I am curious to try Laura Lee Gulledge's other graphic novel, Paige By Page, which was nominated for both Eisner and Harvey Awards. 

Pub. Date: May 2013
Publisher: Amulet Books
Format: Graphic Novel
ISBN: 9781419705465
Source: Library


  1. Replies
    1. Cute is a good word! The illustrations really added a lot.

  2. This looks so cute! My library has Paige by Page, not this one, so I put it on hold. I'll have to get them to buy this one too!

    1. Definitely get it. Eisner and Hugo (?) award nominee. Can't be bad!

  3. I was at the library recently looking for a graphic novel but just couldn't find something I really wanted to read. I need to see if my library carries this one or Peanut and check them out.

    1. I hope they carry them! I'm going to try to read Scott Pilgrim next since our library just got it.


Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

Images by Freepik