Monday, November 04, 2013

It's Monday! And I Did Some Good Reading!


Visit Sheila at BookJourney for more It's Monday!
Well it wasn't particularly a winner of a weekend. David and I headed out to the university's Homecoming festivities on Saturday, and by the time we'd walked around a bit, had some food, and visited with some folks, I was feeling like trash. Turns out, I was running fever and have the season's first cold! Right on time, since my birthday is coming up next Sunday (and I'm always sick sometime around my birthday). 

Needless to say, I spent most of Saturday afternoon and Sunday (and will probably spend most of today) on the couch with a blanket, a drink, and a book. 


And it was the perfect book for a chilly day with nothing else to do but read. I absolutely loved I Capture the Castle. I just ate it up in all its delightful Britishness. I can't wait to do a full-on review for y'all, because if you're like me, and you've been putting it off, you need to get on this. Seriously. Before fall and winter are over. 

Next up is a book for the International Reads Group (started by BookTubers, open for anyone else who wants to join on Goodreads). 


I started reading this one last night because I was having trouble sleeping, and it's really unique. There's a lot of fun language play. This is one of those books I'm sure I'll wonder about since I'm reading a translation. How much more amazing and meaningful is it in the original Russian? 

For December, International Reads will tackle Snow Country by Yasunari Kawabata. 


And if that wasn't enough fabulousness for you, don't forget to sign up for Wilkie in Winter (#WilkieWinter). Truthfully, there's no rush, I just like the graphic and wanted to put it in another post. Plus, we are gonna have such a kickass time! You can read along with us, or pick your own unique Wilkie Collins read to keep you warm at night. ;) 


And with that, I'm going back to bed. zzzzZZZzzzzZZZZzzzz

What are you reading this week? 





20 comments:

  1. Tatyana Tolstaya is a writer I've enjoyed in the past, but have kind of forgotten about. I'm happy to be reminded! I haven't read The Slynx, but I'm glad that you're enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear that! She's totally new to me, but she certainly has an impressive history of publications, and the family ties to Tolstoy. So far, so good on The Slynx. I'm about 40 pages in and starting to feel that sense of investment in the story. :)

      Delete
  2. Hope you get better soon. Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm feeling a bit better and back to work today. Cheers to reading through the cold! lol

      Delete
  3. Oooh, I'm glad you mentioned Wilke in Winter. I would like to do that...as soon as I finish up with the count (Monte Cristo). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I hope you'll get a chance to join us. I think it's kinda cool that we were able to work out a short read and a longer one. Something for everyone!

      Delete
  4. As I'm typing this, I'm looking at my long-neglected copy of I Capture the Castle. I'll need to get to it soon. Feel better hun. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sooooo awesome! It's definitely one of those quieter reads, lots of awesome character development. And I was surprised by the amount of humor! Cassandra and her family are a hoot. I was reminded in some ways of the Flavia de Luce series...sans murders. :)

      Delete
  5. Eeeee, I can't wait to see your review for I Capture the Castle. I really hope I have time to squeeze that and The Sparrow in before the new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Squeee! I hope you do, too!!!

      Delete
  6. Ahhh! I want to join Wilkie in Winter! I've been wanting to read Woman in White for a while and I keep chickening out. Peer pressure will be good for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I hope you will sign up and join us. In whatever capacity works for you. :)

      Delete
  7. Can't wait to see you review for I Capture the Castle, I have such ridiculously fond memories of reading it really late into the night when I was younger. Stop tempting me with the Wilkie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so so so so goooood! I really loved it. The perfect book at the perfect time, for sure. And I shall continue to tempt you with more Wilkie. lol

      Delete
  8. Oh, man -- I absolutely adored I Capture the Castle! I'd heard such good things and chose to save it for when I visited the UK in 2011, and I have such fond memories of both that trip and reading the book during that trip. So awesome! Can't wait to hear your thoughts, and hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an excellent choice! It's soooo so delightfully and full-bodied'ly British. hehe

      Delete
  9. Hope you feel better soon! I got "stuck" reading most of the week with my hurt foot. I finished The Strongest Librarian then and still reading Paris in Love. Started We are Water by Wally Lamb today! Very excited for this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I hope your foot is better. At least you got some good reading out of it. Enjoy Wally Lamb!

      Delete
  10. Ohhh an international reads group?! I'm so joining that!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik