Friday, November 08, 2013

Nonfiction November: Favorites


Kim from Sophisticated Dorkiness and Leslie from Regular Rumination have a great November event going on...Nonfiction November (check out the intro post)! I was too out of the loop to participate on Monday, so I'm doing a bit of catch-up. For every Monday in November there's a different prompt, and today's is simply to share some nonfiction favorites.




Personal essays and memoirs are always a favorite of mine. While I was tempted to throw in the usual David Sedaris, I thought I'd try to branch out a bit and throw in a few memoirs you may not have heard quite as much about. The first two are undoubtedly the most popular and blogged-about so I'm not going very far out here, but they're so good!

The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls may very well be on its way to becoming a contemporary classic. Her personal story of growing up with two CRAZY parents is unforgettable, humorous, and full of heart. 

Relish: My Life in the Kitchen by Lucy Knisley is illustrated memoir gold. She grew up with a chef/caterer mother and a gourmand father, and she just loves food. It has recipes, too!

On the less recognized side, we have...

Quiet, Please: Dispatches from a Public Librarian by Scott Douglas. For anyone who thinks being a public librarian would be a cool, low-key job...you'd best read this. Public libraries can be wonky, scary, exciting places for a variety of reasons. 

My Fundamentalist Education: A Memoir of a Divine Girlhood by Christine Rosen is all about growing up in a fundamentalist Christian family! Definitely a quick, involving read. 



If niche non-fiction is more your bag, I would definitely recommend these two very highly! 

Death's Acre: Inside the Legendary Forensic Lab, the Body Farm, Where the Dead Do Tell Tales by Dr. Bill Bass. For anyone who liked Stiff by Mary Roach, this is another go-to! Bass is a well-respected forensic investigator and highlights some of his most famous cases. Also, his account of the work done at University of Tennessee's Body Farm is nothing short of fascinating. 

This Book is Overdue! How Librarians and Cybrarians Can Save Us All by Marilyn Johnson is one of those books I shout from the rooftops. Libarianship is a diverse and amazing profession. Just read this book and it will blow your mind. 

Thanks to Kim and Leslie for hosting this fantastic event! 






19 comments:

  1. Great list. I'm only familiar with two on your list and have read none of them.I guess it is time for me to get cracking. I'm especially interested in your library themed choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, you've given me a few to add! I've wanted to read Death's Acre for so long! (I think since I finished Stiff by Mary Roach and wanted to dig into all of that a little more.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really do need to read more non-fiction. I'm trying but I tend to get distracted by fiction. You've given me some good ideas here so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the two titles I've read so I need to look into the rest of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quiet, Please sounds awesome! Did you read The World's Strongest Librarian? Because that gives a glimpse into the not-so-fab parts of being a librarian.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some good reads here! As a librarian, I'm all for anything that shows the diversity of librarianship. What I do as an academic librarian looks quite a bit different than what most people think of when you say "librarian." I think most people picture either a public librarian or school librarian, and even those are quite different than most people imagine. My current non-fiction is a book of gorgeously written sermons by an Episcopal priest by the name of Fleming Rutledge. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I recommend just for the beauty of thought and writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a great event for November. I'm going to have to hop over and check it out!
    Some of my recent non-fiction favorites are When We Were on Fire, The World's Strongest Librarian, and Tiny Beautiful Things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun list! I can't wait to read some of the reviews. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Relish is the only one on this list that I have read, but it is also one of my FAVORITES! Spoiler alert: I think it will end up on my best reads of 2013 list. Thank you for participating in Nonfiction November!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Glass Castle is completely riveting - what a life to live, but competely agree - fascinating book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic list! You are constantly making my TBR list unmanageable. Thanks for that. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never heard of most of these, so thanks for sharing your list. Now I have lots more books I need to look up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I reviewed Relish for Weekend Cooking today -- loved it! It's fun to read a nonfiction book using graphic novel format.

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds like fun, except I know I won't have time in November to keep up. I don't read much nonfiction but I have some favorites: Into the Wild, The Johnstown Flood are two. This year I liked The World's Strongest Librarian and Let's Pretend This Never Happened. Enjoy the event!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I need to read more nonfiction! I'm usually too greedy for fiction. The two librarian books sound amazingly interesting and I need to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh, all the books on your list sound so interesting! I haven't read a lot of memoirs, and I think I'm missing out, haha. I'm looking forward to reading Relish as well as the librarian books. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I want to read every single book on this list. The forensics book sounds awesome, and I've been meaning to read This Book is Overdue.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How funny, Scott Douglas lives around the corner from me. Maybe I should read his book. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I haven't read any of these and I also love memoirs, so I'll have to check them out! Thanks for the great list :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik