Monday, November 25, 2013

Nonfiction November: New to My TBR!


Today's prompt: What nonfiction have you added to your toppling TBR pile this month? Be sure to credit which bloggers you heard about titles from (if you can remember)!  Pop on over to Kim's blog to read more posts in this vein and link up your own posts! 

And with today's post, we wrap up Nonfiction November. I've absolutely eaten this event UP!!! Thanks so much to Kim and Lu for hosting! Now...what have I added to my TBR??? So many I can't even remember. So this is a mish-mash of books actually on my physical TBR and my wishlist. 





Tabloid Love: Looking for Mr. Right in All the Wrong Places, a Memoir by Bridget Harrison is haled as a fun, light nonfiction choice. I got this fantabulous rec from Chels and a Book. Sounds a bit like a real-life Bridget Jones!

Black Like Me by John Howard Griffin is a book that's been on my wishlist for years. It's about a white man in the 1950s who darkens his skin to write about his experience with prejudice. Thanks to Didi for reminding me of this one!

Full Body Burden: Growing Up in the Nuclear Shadow of Rocky Flats by Kristen Iversen is a recommendation from a former teaching partner and buddy of mine. Thanks, Kevin! This is about a girl living in the shadow of a secret nuclear weapons plant once designated "the most contaminated site in America."


The Blueberry Years: A Memoir of Farm and Family by Jim Minick is a recommendation from Lu at Regular Rumination! One of our hostesses for this awesome Nonfiction November soiree. The university where I work actually runs an organic blueberry farm, so this has a special place on my wishlist. 

The Vatican Diaries: A Behind-the-Scenes Look at the Power, Personalities, and Politics at the Heart of the Catholic Church by John Thavis. Let's just put it out there: I'm totally enamored of the Vatican. I'm not Catholic, but I am fascinated by the history, art, culture, and power! This book is written by a journalist who's been reporting on the inner workings of the Vatican for over 25 years. I cannot, for the life of me, remember who recommended this! If it was you, lemme know! 

What's new on your wishlist or TBR? 





20 comments:

  1. I've totally had my eye on Full Body Burden, too! The author did an interview on NPR a little while back and the book sounded so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right??? It sounds too good to pass up. I think I'm gonna look for that NPR interview, too.

      Delete
  2. The Vatican Diaries sounds fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I immediately put it on my wishlist when I heard about it.

      Delete
  3. Black Like Me is a book I've been interested in too! I'm in the queue at the library for Pinkerton's Great Detective. I have high hopes for that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome!!! I think I may put Black Like Me on my TBR (physical or virtual) for 2014. I need to hurry myself up and get around to it already.

      Delete
  4. Oh wow, I'm totally interested in Black Like Me. All of these sound fantastic but, especially that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, and while I had my doubts about it at first, all of the reviews I've seen have been great. I was first exposed to it back in 2003 or so. I was teaching 10th grade, and it was one of the books my students could choose to read and report on. :)

      Delete
  5. I added Empty Mansions to my list from your recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad! I finished it this weekend and REALLY liked it!

      Delete
  6. Woohoo :)! I'm so glad you are hoping to read Tabloid Love! That book has a special place in my heart and I can't wait to see what you think :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am all over Full Body Burden after hearing her speak on NPR. It is all rather horrifying. Great list. Gotta get going on mine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooo I am going to have to add The Blueberry Years to my list! I love farming memoirs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved The Blueberry Years!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I have The Blueberry Years! I'm saving it for spring, if I can. This month has made me want to read all the nonfiction things.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If all I have accomplished this month is that one person will read The Blueberry Years (two people, Heather?!) then I have done well. Thank you for participating!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oooh that Vatican book sounds pretty sweet. I'm a conscientious objector Catholic and DAGNABIT, I want to read that!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't read many non-fiction, but I have a really interesting one I bought recently... can't wait to read it. I haven't compiled a TBR list for what I want to read next, because I'm kind of thinking that I won't be doing much reading during festive season!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So far I've added mostly fiction: The Goldfinch, Death if Bees, and The House Girl. But I'll go back and add some nonfiction I've been seeing reviewed. And likely memoirs I already have on my shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I read Black Like Me for a class, I don't remember anything about it, though. I'm pretty sure it was a teacher I hated and I can remember so little from her class because of that. Although, she did like Dr. Zhivago and was nicer to me because I read and liked it. Ha. The rest of the books sound really interesting! Especially The Vatican Diaries and Full Body Burden!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik