Thursday, November 07, 2013

The Tiny Book of Tiny Stories, Volume 3

Ahhh, tiny little books filled with tiny little stories make me so happy at this time of year. I've read and reviewed all of the volumes of The Tiny Book of Tiny Stories, and while I loved and hugged the first one, I was far less impressed with the second. It was a crapshoot when it came to volume 3, but I'm pleased to report that this one was, indeed, HUGWORTHY!

If you're not familiar, the Tiny Books are the result of a project at HitRECORD.org. It's an art collaborative specializing in images, text, and video. And when creative people submit pieces, they all get mushed around and married, and tiny stories happen!

The mastermind behind this project is Joseph Gordon-Levitt of 10 Things I Hate About You and Inception and Dark Knight Rises fame. And don't even THINK about skipping the video at the end of this post. It's one of the funniest things I've ever seen, and JGL is on his lip syncing game. 

Anyway, I loved the feeling of sarcasm and wit and adventure in the first Tiny Stories book, but the second one felt far more generic to me, thus my slight dislike. But in volume three there's a definite edge and sweetness all wound up into this teensy volume. And though it is teensy, it's a little fatter than the previous two volumes. More tiny stories = more fun! 



So if you have a family member or friend who is really artistic or maybe loves poetic writing or is just a little offbeat, this strikes me as a perfect gift! Maybe because they always come out at the holidays, I feel that way, but now that it's a three-volume set it'd be an even cooler gift or stocking stuffer. 

High five to HitRECORD for their awesome vision and this great book. 

Pub. Date: November 2013
Publisher: HarperCollins
Format: Hardcover
ISBN: 9780062121653
Source: From the publisher. 


The video I originally forgot!

 

13 comments:

  1. I did a little happy dance when this came in the mail and sat down with it immediately. I thought it was magical!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never heard of these until I bought one at ComicCon. And, oh! I hadn't thought about it, but my sister would love these! Not to mention my hard-to-buy-for niece. Gifties all around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I hope your sister and niece love them if they end up stuffing their stockings! :)

      Delete
  3. I've wanted these...but I haven't wanted to pay the price for such a little book. I know, I know. There was a deal the other day for the ebook but I wasn't sure if it would translate. I'll probably kick myself for passing it up. No video--was it the one from Jimmy Kimmel Live? LOVE IT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya. I think these would translate well on ereader, BUT it's nice to have them to paw and flip through, too. Since they're highly browsable once you've actually read the whole thing.

      Delete
  4. JGL! These look really cute. How small are they? Around the size of the Peter Rabbit books? The video is *hilarious*!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter Rabbit size is probably about right (maybe?). They're about the size of my hand. Not quite to the tips of my fingers. So cute!

      Delete
  5. JGL! I have had a crush on that boy since Rookie of the Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in the shower this morning and realized JGL was in Angels in the Outfield, not Rookie of the Year. Those mid-90s baseball movies all run together!

      Delete
  6. Is it has JGL, I'm in! BTW, these are the cutest books everrrrrr!

    And on the lip sync vid. . . that slide he does. .. loooove

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have got to get my hands on these. I've been meaning to get the first one since it came out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really need to read these... I just keep forgetting!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik