Friday, December 27, 2013

Christmas 2013 Goodies!

It's been a very bookish Christmas, friends! Thanks to my blogging buddies, that is. The fam never really knows what to buy for me by way of books, but you guys really helped make it a bookish Christmas! You can view the video above, or here's a little commentary about the goodies I received!

Heatheroo hooked me UP! A box of goodies arrived today with...
  • Sleep Pale Sister by Joann Harris
  • Looking for Alaska by John Green
  • Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion
  • Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys
  • Blue Plate Special: An Autobiography of my Appetites by Kate Christensen
  • AND a gorgeous gold braided scarf, "You Rock" magnet, and bookmark!
Lydia from The Literary Lollipop also made my season with a box of curated books just for me! She was inspired by Book Riot's Quarterly and Powell's Indispensible. After giving it some thought, she picked three perfect books for me...
  • The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte is totally appropriate since I read Charlotte Bronte earlier in the year. I need some Anne in my life. 
  • Kamouraska by Anne Hebert is a Canadian classic that falls right in line with my wish to read diversely in 2014. 
  • The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion is the only book I've read from this collection, but I'm eager to re-read!
Allison from The Book Wheel participated in a Secret Santa exchange with me and sent not only a copy of The First Phone Call from Heaven by Mitch Albom, but also three GORGEOUS Penguin postcards!

A buddy of mine from work is a fellow reader, and he treated me to a copy of In the Woods by Tana French

In addition to the books, my family REALLY hooked me up!
  • David upgraded my laptop hardware so it boots up in 42 seconds as opposed to 20 minutes. He also got me two beautiful purple and one royal blue. 
  • My mom gave me a humongous bottle of Marc Jacobs Daisy Eau de Fresh perfume, an owl iPhone cover, and an owl statement ring. 
  • Chuck, Michelle, and their family gave me an owl journal, owl clips, and a scarf. And yummy Christmas treats!
And if there's anything else, I am having a brain drain moment and can't remember. Eeek! It's been such a blessed Christmas in so many ways. The gifts are just the cherry on top. :) 

Did you receive any great books this holiday season? 


  1. My family can't pick out books for me either so I never ask them for any. Vance totally surprised me with The Perks of Being a Wallflower and I can't wait to read it. It looks like you had a wonderful Christmas!

  2. So many great reads! I'm somewhat shocked to say I received no books for Christmas -- my family and husband have long since decided they have no way to determine what I already own, and they won't bother trying to buy me a novel I probably already have languishing on a bookshelf. Sigh! But yours are quite lovely, and hey: I received Daisy perfume for Christmas, too! I love it.

  3. You made out! I too just wrote a post on my bookish Christmas. Oh, and if I had to choose one perfume brand for the rest of my life it would be Marc Jacobs. His stuff is the best.

  4. What lovely gifts! I adore receiving books as presents and this year was no different to my usual collection of bookish Christmas presents. My family know me so well. Enjoy reading your new books!

  5. I did not get one bookish gift this year. Not a one. So, no cute video from me! LOL.

  6. You look really good without make-up, I'm jealous of how clear your skin is. Mine has been awful since I fell pregnant, that's one pregnancy side effect I'm not enjoying!

    Glad you had a nice Christmas, and got some bookish gifts :)

  7. That is so awesome!! I only got books because I got gift cards/cash, and well, went a bit crazy. haha. Well, and Lorrie bought me audio books during the Audible sale. :)

  8. Yay! Bookish gifts are the best! :D

  9. Nice haul! Christmas is so much fun when it includes lots of books :)

  10. I did one secret Santa exchange, and I got The Handmaid's Tale. Long on my list! No one else gives me books because I'm a huge pain to buy for!! My family already thinks I have too many books. Ha, what do they know. I loved your video!!

  11. You don't need to wear makeup. You have beautiful skin! I'm loving all the books you received. How exciting!

  12. That's awesome! I just spent my gift cards from B&N that various family and friends bought me. I didn't send them all, but picked up Reached (last in the Matched trilogy - for now, from what I hear), The House Girl, The Death of Bees, and Me Before You.

    There's one more card to spend though!

  13. Wow, fabulous haul! I did a little shopping for myself and came home to some great bookmail, so I definitely can't complain :)

  14. Awesome haul!! Love it!! I had a wonderful bookish Christmas myself, and just ordered another stack of books with a giftcard I received. I have some great things to kick off reading in the new year!

  15. Yay books for Christmas! I did get a couple of nifty music-related books from my brother for Christmas, and a copy of The Book Thief from my mom (which I've never read); the rest (20! Argh!! I had to ship them home to myself!) were a result of my ransacking the flagship Half Price Books in Dallas and Recycled Books in Denton. Merry Christmas to me, indeed. :)

  16. Excellent Haul! Happy reading!

  17. Looking for Alaska. Read it sooner than later! Or I might seriously start nagging you once a month at book club. ;) Nah--really I'm just curious about your first John Green experience. Oooh, and Warm Bodies is a great one, too.

    No bookish treats for me this year...except the book I bought to put in my own stocking. LOL! I don't even bother asking anymore.

  18. What bounty! Hope you are enjoying all of your goodies. I really hope you will like In the Woods. I love mysteries but to me this is not a regular mystery book. Thought it was an excellent read. Can't wait to hear about the Anne Hebert classic you got!

  19. You got some really awesome books and stuff!! I love all the scarves you got! The mustard looks so soft and pretty! And the owl stuff is awesome! I have Marc Jacobs Daisy but I think it's the basic version, but I like it a lot! I need to check out that one!

    I want to read The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, Between Shades of Gray and Warm Bodies. The Year of Magical Thinking sounds interesting! I got 3 books I asked for from my sister and one of my brother's favorites, The Gunslinger by Stephen King, so I can start the series.

  20. I didn't get any books (which is good, since I already have way too many unread books), but I got lots of great bookish stuff! Coasters and two shirts from Out of Print, a Read art print, and a pillow printed with a Harry Potter quote! (And a lovely bookmark and a library check-out card ornament from bloggers!)


Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

Images by Freepik