Monday, December 16, 2013

Monday Reading Update

Morning all. If you follow me on Facebook you'll know that my fiance's, David's, family has had a rough go of it. His mother passed away last week quite suddenly, and we've been busy with all of the things that go along with a time like this. David is doing better every day, though it will take a long time to heal. Thank you all for your words of comfort and prayer that you've offered on Facebook, Twitter, and via email. I assure you that we appreciate it more than you can imagine. 

I'm back to work today, and swimming in email, but I wanted to drop by and touch base with you all. I have some fun posts pre-scheduled this week...reviews and lists and requests for recommendations and whatnot, and I'll surely be reading comments and visiting blogs again during my downtime.


I've only really been reading one book for the last several days and mostly only just before bed. I took off to be with David in his hometown without a book, so I picked up Susannah Cahalan's Brain on Fire when I was browsing around in Target.

I've seen this book show up on plenty of "best of" lists this year, and so far it's an enthralling read. I find it easy to dip in and out of this one. Though, in the author's situation, when she was incoherent and in and out of consciousness for a month (the month she's writing about)...it'll be interesting to see how she handles the uncertainties and herself as an unreliable character in her own life. 

The Book Cellar, 3 West Central Ave. 
David and I hit up a small independent bookstore in Temple, TX called The Book Cellar during a bit of downtime. It was, without a doubt, the most entertaining trip to a bookstore I've had in a long time. The owner is a quirky, eclectic, snarky kind of fellow with big bushy hair and a high IQ (he says). We started with a tour of the store filled with lots of his anecdotes and then moved on to some browsing from there. 

I told the owner I needed more Octavia Butler in my life, and he surfaced from somewhere in the bowels of the store with Clay's Ark. I haven't read it, and I haven't heard much about it before, but I'm up for anything by Butler. I also found a well-loved copy of Les Miserables in the classics section, so I'll be giving that one a go in 2014. I figured I could start with a tattered copy since it will likely be much MORE tattered by the time I read all 1000+ pages.

I hope you all had a glorious weekend. Have you added any new books to your collection lately? 

Hosted weekly by super-awesome Sheila from BookJourney.






36 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about David's mum passing away. I hope that he and his family are doing as ok as they can be under the circumstances. Sounds like you found a great bookstore - I love stumbling upon quirky, independent bookshops like that. I won't be able to add any new books till Christmas - not allowed to buy anything in case I buy something someone has bought for me! - but I'm re-reading The Night Circus which is beautiful and escapism at it's best!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate it. :) I think everyone is doing just that--the best they can under the circumstances. It certainly breaks my heart for him.

      I've nearly cut myself off from book buying til the new year, but since I wanted to support this very colorful business owner, I figured I could go in for two books. I'm afraid he would've pepper sprayed us on our way out otherwise. lol

      I just looooved The Night Circus. I listened to some of it on audio this weekend as a matter of fact.

      Delete
  2. Ohhhh Les Mis.That's a bucket list title for me. Hubby has a copy on the shelf but the print is soooo tiny. I think I'd need an ebook just to keep the intimidation factor down. Good luck with it!

    Been thinking about you guys, David and his family. Continuing to send lots of thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost kicked myself. ALMOST. Because the Nook book is only $2.99. I might have to have it too! lol

      I appreciate all the prayers. It means a lot to know they're going up. :)

      Delete
  3. *hugs*

    I've been thinking about reading Les Miserables. I don't know what but I'm really considering it. Brain on Fire is another book I want to read. Looking forward to your thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear.

      I have never considered Les Mis until now. I've seen such good reviews here lately from BookTubers and others. I just have to try! :)

      Delete
  4. Um, you know you have to take me to this bookstore in March, yes? Just making sure. I've tried to read Les Mis several times. Never got very far. I'm thinking it's because I already know the story so well!

    *hugs* to David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's 3 hours away, but I think we could do a mad dash. lol

      Bummer about Les Mis! I've only seen one movie adaptation, so I don't think I know enough to keep me from reading it. We'll see.

      Hugs!

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear things are hopefully getting back to normal for y'all after such a sad event. Your bookstore trip sounds like such a hoot! Good luck with Les Mis. I'm just not up for that behemoth yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate it, Brooke.

      The bookstore trip was definitely a hoot. It lightened the mood in an otherwise really difficult day.

      Delete
  6. I thought Brain on Fire was terrific but I was a bit of a hypochondriac as I read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I can imagine that, Kathy. I've been too busy to be much of a hypochondriac, but under normal circumstances I would be!

      Delete
  7. David is still in my thoughts. Your bookstore trip sounds like some much needed lightness. Glad the two of you were able to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We so appreciate it, Dana. The bookstore break was just what we needed.

      Delete
  8. Sorry to hear about David's Mum, what a hard time for all of you.
    I'm halfway through Les Miserables now and I would recommend it, although be prepared for some pretty heavy detail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can handle detail if I can stay motivated! That's always the hard part with a big chunky like that.

      Delete
  9. Ah, Les Mis. One of my favorites :). Lovely additions to the bookshelf this week.

    Jessica @ Hopelessly Devoted Bibliophile

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I'm glad to hear that Les Mis is one of your faves, Jessica!

      Delete
  10. So sorry to hear your news, but glad that things are starting to get back as normal as they can. I heard an interview with the author of Brain on Fire on NPR a while ago and it sounds like it's such a fascinating book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate it, Shannon. It is really good so far. Gonna try to wrap it up this week. My reading has slowed down a bit but I'm still liking it.

      Delete
  11. hm. I wrote a comment and it vanished. I hope you enjoy your new books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I hate it when that happens!

      Delete
  12. I'm a grumpy-goat about Les Mis. I loathed it - I read it - but really really disliked it.

    I love all the film and musical adaptations though...

    Sorry to hear about your fiancé's mom, I lost my father quite suddenly as well, it's never easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, well there's a distinct possibility I will dislike it, too. We'll see! 50/50 chance.

      I appreciate the good thoughts, and continued virtual hugs for you after the loss of your dad.

      Delete
  13. Oh, what awful news, poor David. I can't imagine how hard that must be for him. Y'all are in my thoughts this week, Andi.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Les Mis, Les Mis! I hope you adore it :D It was my chunky chunkster of 2013 and it was worth every minute.

    Hugs to you and yours Andi, I know it's been a difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you liked it, and that makes it very promising for me! I appreciate the good thoughts and hugs, Jennifer.

      Delete
  15. I’m so sorry for your loss :( And, I would listen to Jennifer about Les Mis. I haven’t read it yet but I remember her raving about it while reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes. Jennifer did make an impact with her love of this book. :)

      Delete
  16. So sorry for your loss. Les Mis - yay! Hope you enjoy it...I'm assuming it's the unabridged version? If it's abridged I'm confident you'll love it, cause the story is so good. It's the detail in the unabridged that gets people sometimes, but I still loved it. I am trying to read off my TBR as much as possible for at least the beginning of the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To answer your question more clearly, I should say that I own most of my TBR list. Even more incentive to read from it!

      Delete
  17. Thinking of you guys and sending you good vibes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So sorry to hear about David's mom. It's always hard to lose a parent, particularly so close to the holidays and even more so when it's unexpected.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I continue to keep David and you in my thoughts during this post-holiday time. Having just lost a parent less than two weeks ago, I can truly sympathize with all that the two of you are going through. I'm sure you've been a tremendous blessing to him during these rough days. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik