Friday, December 20, 2013

THIS is Why the Interwebs are SO FREAKING COOL!

Last night, right after work, I headed over to drop Greyson off with his dad for a couple of nights. As I was driving home, I was inwardly complaining about all the stupid construction and Christmas-related traffic, so I decided to veer off the beaten path and take some backroads home. 

As I was sitting at a stop sign, Facebook blooped a private message at me. 

"I had no idea I was getting near you. I'm on my way to Dallas and stopped for gas. And I thought, hmmm, Caddo Mills sounds familiar. I'm about an hour ahead of schedule. It's 6:45. If you get this message in the next 10 min or so, call me!" 

The message was from an awesome woman named Hollie Rose who I met (online only) via Yahoo book discussion groups way back in 2001! Because before this blogging thing took off, we bibliophiles congregated in groups like Book-a-Week and OnThePorchSwing to name just a few. We communed with our fellow bookworms, posted reviews, and generally did all the things we do on blogs, but in discussion groups. 

Even in the years post-groups, I've kept up with tons of my bookish friends through blogs and Facebook. Hollie Rose is one person I've followed on Facebook, and I saw her post some pics with another book group friend I still keep up with a few weeks ago. 

Needless to say, I called her right back, we worked out a place to meet, and we did! We spent about 20 minutes chatting and catching up in person for the first time ever! We gave some hugs and took some selfies. 


This was seriously one of the COOLEST experiences ever. The timing worked out perfectly, and I was so glad Hollie Rose remembered the name of my hometown. She's on an epic road trip, and I can't wait to find out where else she stops along the journey. 

Have you had the good fortune to meet any of your fellow Internet buddies and bibliophiles? 







29 comments:

  1. That is so cool!!!! I have not yet had the opportunity to meet any online friends, but I hope to someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so much fun! I hope you can too, Tif!

      Delete
  2. I saw this on Facebook! How awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun!! Before blogging I was in several online groups and have met online friends, living near Orlando/Disney helps too. I have met some very cool bloggers in recent years...and it's like seeing old friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome, Anita! You're in a prime spot there in Orlando. It is definitely like seeing old friends.

      Delete
  4. So fantastic! I've met quite a few bookish friends over the years, both in D.C. and when I was in California (! that's a random story), and I'm always so happy and delighted to learn my blog buddies are just the same in person as they are online. It's fantastic, really. So glad you were randomly able to meet up with Hollie Rose -- so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right??? It is wonderful when they're just like you'd imagined. I'm also lucky enough to be in a book club (real life) with Trish from Love, Laughter, and a Touch of Insanity. My meeting blog friends experiences have been awesome. :)

      Delete
  5. Fun! I have only met one fellow blogger in all the years I have been blogging... Canada is big, so just because there are many Canadian bloggers doesn't mean they are anywhere near me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya, Kelly. Not so many bloggers in Texas so not many come my way either.

      Delete
  6. What a great story! I love meeting blogging friends -- I've met some in my area of the world and it is such a treat when you get to meet in person, finally :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melanie! Definitely a treat.

      Delete
  7. I haven't met anyone yet, but I hope to meet many of you at BEA!
    Shannon, Leah and Rebecca have met, though. They are very cool ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is outstanding! I actually just wrote on an old friend's (from middle school) Facebook wall and realized she lives about 10 minutes from me! Now we are planning to meet after the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so cool and I'm so jealous she got to meet you in person!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing! I love stories like this.:) Hope you had awesome time together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is awesome! Yaaaay internet friends!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How fun! I haven't met any of my internet friends in real life, but hopefully I'll get to this coming year :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What fun! One of these days I'm hitting the road to meet some of my blogging friends.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haven't met any one but it sure sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have met many of them actually. And they all said that I was so "normal" LOL. I think they were expecting some crazed nut from Los Angeles.

    It's weird because many of them blog the way they talk, if that makes any sense. Everyone was exactly how I had pictured them in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How awesome! I remember belonging to a couple of reading discussion groups before blogging but sadly I didn't keep up with them. I have been fortunate to meet some blogging friends and hopefully one day I'll get to meet you when you come to the Texas Book Festival in Austin! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. SO COOL!!!! I love the bloggy world!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome! I love meeting bloggers in real life (so far I’ve met Love at First Book and Books Speak Volumes) and am looking forward to meeting more at BEA.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is so freakin cool :) I've met one blogger who lives about 20 minutes away a few times for coffee and events. I wish meeting each other happened more!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wish I could tag Lisa in this comment. I admit to suggesting to Scott that we go to Sturgis Bike Week so that I could meet her. LOL! So fun that you were able to have a quick meet up with an "old" friend.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik