Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Top Ten Books I Wouldn't Mind Santa Bringing Me

A bookish meme from The Broke and the Bookish.
This week's Top Ten Tuesday is a list of books we wouldn't mind Santa bringing! I've been sharing a few of my wishlisty items in recent weeks, but this is the MOTHER LOAD of Christmas wishlisty goodies. The best of the best. The cream of the crop. In absolutely NO order whatsoever. 


Blood, Bones and Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef by Gabrielle Hamilton is a foodie non-fiction book. Surprise surprise after this list

Boxers and Saints by Gene Luen Yang is the only book on this list that I've already read. And it's two books, actually. Clear as mud! I loved it, a lot. I need to own this heartbreaking set about the grey area within revolution and ideologies. 

Cinnamon and Gunpowder by Eli Brown looks super freaking fun. Check out this VERY short Goodreads paragraph: A gripping adventure, a seaborne romance, and a twist on the tale of Scheherazade—with the best food ever served aboard a pirate’s ship. YES PLEASE. 


Forgotten Readers: Recovering the Lost History of African American Literary Societies  by Elizabeth McHenry. My brain exploded a little when I saw this one pop up over at A Striped Armchair. I neeeed to know more about this topic, especially since I've been on a kick of reading about the antebellum south and multicultural issues lately. 

A Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett is the second book in the Tiffany Aching series. I loved The Wee Free Men so much that this one is a no-brainer. 

Homeward Bound: Why Women are Embracing the New Domesticity by Emily Matchar has been on my radar for a LONG time. This rise in domesticity is especially interesting to me as I used to be totally NOT domestic and now I...am. Curious to know what this book has to offer on the subject.  


Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey by The Countess of Carnarvon because DOWNTON ABBEY! I'm fascinated with English life and big ass estates. So yes! 

We'll Be the Last Ones to Let You Down: Memoir of a Gravedigger's Daughter by Rachael Hanel just sounds amazing. I have a fascination for these niche topics. Especially the slightly morbid ones. 

The Night Guest by Fiona McFarlane came up on a trusted BookTuber's channel, and it sounds really odd and interesting and dark. Just watch the video to learn more. 


Saga, volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughan. I haven't started a new-to-me graphic novel series in ages, but this one might be the ticket. A sf drama, this was another BookTube recommendation

What books are you jonesing for? 




21 comments:

  1. I totally want Boxers and Saints! I almost bought it as a gift for my husband so I could read it, too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will stinkin' love Boxers and Saints. And I'm glad I'm not the only one who gifts books under those conditions. LOL

      Delete
  2. Blood, Bones and Butter! Have it! Need to read it! Ugh.

    You sold Cinnamon and Gunpowder with that snippet. Damn.

    A Hat Full of Sky! Yes!

    I read part of the first Saga and was impressed. Need to get back to that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gah! Lucky you re: Blood, Bones, and Butter.

      Right??? Almost bought Cinnamon and Gunpowder as a Christmas gift for myself.

      Hat Full of Sky!

      Almost bought Saga today.

      Delete
  3. This list is so eclectically awesome. I want to read The Night Guest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! The Night Guest is almost irresistable.

      Delete
  4. We'll Be The Last Ones To Let You Down sounds morbidly brilliant! Definitely have to check that out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right??? That's a great idea for a book. Gotta have it.

      Delete
  5. I really really need to read Boxers and Saints!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so damn good. So. Damn. Good.

      Delete
  6. Some really intriguing books here! We'll Be the Last Ones to Let You Down and The Night Guest look good! Homeward Bound sounds interesting, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have a big book crush on all of these. It was probably a bad idea to put them all together in a post because I will eventually talk myself into buying them all. All of them, I tell you.

      Delete
  7. Cinnamon and Gunpowder has been getting rave reviews. I hope you find something special under your tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! It was a bookish good Christmas!

      Delete
  8. I got a $100 amazon gift card from my dad tonight and you totally have me tempted to go spend the whole damn thing on these books right now :p Lucky for me I have Saga already :p I just haven't read it yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy crap! You lucky duck. And I'm tempted for you to go spend it all on these books and then tell me about them! lol

      Delete
  9. I saw Night Guest not long ago and was also intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want it soooo bad. I love the blurb a lot.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. I'm so glad! I love endorsements from bloggers I trust!

      Delete
  11. I'd just be sad to make a list of books I wish Santa would bring me since my family refuses to give me books for gifts! They are under the silly impression that a person can have too many books. Hope you got some of these!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik