Sunday, December 22, 2013

TSS - Fall TBR Reading Results

The end of fall has passed (yesterday), and here's how I handled my 10-book Fall TBR.


Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro - DNF! I already know the big ending, and it ruined the enjoyment for me. 

I Capture the Castle, by Dodie Smith - Loved it!

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith - Loved it!


Havisham by Ronald Frame - DNF! Couldn't handle the overly choppy writing.

The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan - Loved it!

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon - Fail! Did not get to this one. 


The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff - Fail! Did not get to this one either. 

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott - Still working my way through this slower read. 

Affinity by Sarah Waters - Loved it!


Kindred by Octavia Butler - Loved it!

So out of the 10 books, I completed or DNFed seven of them--and it'll be eight when I finish Little Women.  I'm totally happy with this, as the ultimate goal of my seasonal TBRs is to read or DNF (and get rid of) these books. So the DNFs are out the door, and the unreads go back on the stack! But it's seven TBR books I probably wouldn't have gotten around to otherwise. WINNING!









20 comments:

  1. But you're always winning when it comes to books, admit it.

    Weird: I looked over at your sidebar and saw that you've read 72 books so far this year. I've read 73. I think you mentioned once about us being almost related in terms of books, not in terms of what we read, but how we read. I think this shows that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is SO true, Bryan. :)

      And I think we do definitely share a brain in how we read. I'm hoping to hit 76 by New Year's Day, but we'll see!

      Delete
  2. This is great! I wish I could make lists and actually FOLLOW them. If you ever plan to try for The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay again, poke me. I have owned it forever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I hope to try it early in 2014, so I'll be poking soon!

      Delete
  3. Very successful fall reading! I can imagine that knowing the end of Never Let Me Go would make it almost pointless to read. I love it but the ending and the twists are the whole reason for reading on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely right re: pointless to read Never Let Me Go. I'm really excited to try The Remains of the Day, though.

      Delete
  4. The Amazing Adventures was one that if you gave it enough time, I think you would enjoy it. But that book is really big. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rebecca! I'm definitely still interested in reading Kavalier and Clay. I waited to close to the end of my TBR reading and didn't have enough time (or brain power) for this one close to the holiday. It's still on my list to tackle in early 2014.

      Delete
  5. Congrats, you're a machine! I hope you keep Kavalier and Clay around just in case :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you! It's definitely still on the stack.

      Delete
  6. I'd call that a total success too. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay, for your success! I've had a couple of DNFs lately and it's such a bummer. Oh well, moving on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank ya! It is a bummer, but at some point I just go, "OK, this one wasn't for me. Out the door!" lol

      Delete
  8. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is on my list! Congrats on reading so many books...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for you! I should pick out ten books from my own TBR pile and aim at them this year too -- that would be a good and manageable exercise. I could even probably do fifteen of them. Right? Fifteen in a year, that's totally manageable, right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd say it was very successful! Would you say Never Let Me Go would be enjoyable if you know nothing about it? I have it on my shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I either read 1 or 0 on my fall TBR- I have obligation issues. Great job, though. And Kavalier and Clay is definitely worth the time (and Chabon's pretentious vocabulary).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woot! Woot! You go, Andi. You rocked it! *throws confetti* *claps hands in delight*

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good job!! I am still working on my Fall TBR list! I actually still have two from my summer list to work on, oops. I can totally and completely understand DNF-ing Never Let Me Go. I was uninspired by the writing and if I'd known what was going to happen, I would have gladly left it unfinished!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik