Thursday, December 05, 2013

Virtual Advent, Day 5: Yummy in My Tummy!


I always look SO forward to the Virtual Advent Tour, and I'm tickled pink to be on it again! Two years ago I shared my Pecan Pie Muffin recipe, and this year I'm sharing another holiday staple! Sausage dressing! Because if you're from the South, and the stuffing is not stuffed into anything, it's called dressing. There ya go.

Andi's Don't Mess With Texas Sausage Dressing
  • 1 pound of pork sausage, browned
  • 1 box of herb-flavored Stove Top or other stuffing mix, prepared
  • 2 cans of chicken (or veggie) broth of your choice
  • 1 package of cornbread, cooked and crumbled
  • 3 slices of sandwich bread (white, wheat, whatev), also crumbled
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 medium white or yellow onion, sauteed
  • a handful of celery, sauteed (I never put this in)
  • salt, pepper, and other seasonings to taste -- I usually add a bit of poultry seasoning for some extra sage flavor
Pour all of your ingredients (minus the broth) into a bowl the size of a wheelbarrow. Mix it all around until it's combined and the breads are nicely crumbled. Add broth until your mixture is pretty darn wet (I usually use 1.5 cans of broth). 

Pour the mixture into a greased 9x13 pan and cook on 350 for about 45 minutes. 

This dressing is soooo yummy! The Stove Top adds most of the seasonings you'll need, and the sausage is a little extra savory kick. It's perfection, if you ask me. If you'r especially fond of additional ingredients like boiled eggs or sauteed carrots, go ahead and add them! It'll just make this dressing even more delicious and tailored to your tastes.

Sadly I don't have a picture of this one, but just imagine me making this silly joyful face when it comes out of the oven! 


Merry Christmas and happy holidays, my friends! 

27 comments:

  1. It sounds yummy!! And your face.... haha. I don't care what face you're making. I still think you look great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds AMAZING. (And I agree wholeheartedly on stuffing not stuffed into things called dressing, because it just makes more sense that way).

    My mom's side of the family has a strange oyster dressing tradition, which is apparently a Maryland thing, and unfortunately I love oysters and love dressing and find that combining the two is a really good way to ruin both. So I'll be trying to find a bowl the size of a wheelbarrow so I can make this instead. I'm hungry just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right on and HIGH FIVE about the stuffing vs. dressing debate. We win! And I've always thought the oyster dressing sounded kind of promising, but I'll take your word for it. Sausage it is!

      Delete
    2. Yeah, it sounds like it would be good... it just doesn't work for me.

      Delete
  3. It sounds yummy! Maybe for New Year's...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm...now I'm trying to figure out how to make that gluten free. Cause it sounds so damn good!!! I loooooove me some dressin'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, there's a gluten free everything somewhere. I Googled and found a gluten-free cornbread mix!

      Delete
  5. Dressing is the best. I've never had one the sausage so I need to try this soon. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never wanted any other kind of dressing since I tried this recipe many years ago. So so so good. The sausage adds tons of flavor. I'm tempted to make a big pan of this for myself while I'm iced in. lol

      Delete
  6. My dad makes a sausage dressing every year. Maybe I should whip this up for Christmas and impress the heck out of him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woohoo! I bet your family would love that!

      Delete
  7. It sounds good enough to eat for dinner tonight. I think I'll give it a try. I enjoyed your advent post. Have a Merry Christmas. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've made stuffing before with sausage and apples. What I like about your recipe is the use of Stove Top stuffing. (See, they know it should be called stuffing.) I'm looking forward to trying this. Great, fun post. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Margot! The Stove Top is a nice shortcut to get the seasonings right. It has a lot of flavor.

      Delete
  9. I'm so making this; how can anything with sausage in it not be yummy? I think I'd like sausage and m and m's even! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you when I was posting this, Bellezza. I think I promised to post it a couple of years ago and then flaked out and I remembered that you were disappointed. ;)

      Delete
  10. ahh - so that is the difference between dressing and stuffing - I always wondered. This sounds delicious - you had me at sausage and stove top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Not healthy, but definitely delicious.

      Delete
  11. My husband was the first to tell me the difference between stuffing and dressing. So, he makes dressing but my mother makes stuffing! Either way, this sounds delicious! I wonder if you could add a little bit for fruit for an accent? Like raisins or chopped apples? No idea why but I love fruit in dressing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely think you could add some fruit! That would be delicious. I think apples would be especially good in this one.

      Delete
  12. Sounds yummy! I don't do pork or anything else from a piggy, but I could prob use turkey/chicken/any other kind of sausage!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never had stuffing (dressing?) with sausage in it. I'm not sure what to think. You seem to be pretty excited about it though!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ridiculous, I know, but up until now I never knew the difference between stuffing and dressing! Mind you, I knew there was a difference, with a Yankee mom and Southern gentleman dad, but no one ever 'splained this to me.

    Here's my Virtual Advent post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh, never thought of adding cornbread to the stuffing. Bread and sausage stuffing is my family's traditional stuffing/dressing. It's very British and I can't seem to ever like anything else other than this one. But I like the idea of cornbread. I might have to try that next time! (Although I also only ever like stuffing when someone else in my family makes it. HA!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!