Wednesday, January 08, 2014

The Frozen Deep for #WilkieWinter

No, I don't know why my copy of The Frozen Deep is snowing, but it's cool! 

So there's a story here. The Frozen Deep is my first completed Collins work, but it's not my first experience with his writing. Years ago I attempted The Woman in White, but I put it aside. Totally not the book's fault, just one of those life things that happened. I quite enjoyed The Woman in White, or what I'd read of it, so I went into The Frozen Deep with a great deal of excitement. 


While I liked The Frozen Deep for what it was, it's not a typical Wilkie Collins experience, nor is it the best Wilkie Collins experience. This one was written as a play, and is presented here in novella format. It's a weird mashy situation that results in an underdeveloped, melodramatic story. 


Is it all bad? No. But I longed to know the characters better and to know what the heck was going on out on the ice during the arctic expedition. How exciting is that? An arctic expedition, y'all! But alas, all we get are glimpses of what's going on and a lot of shut up men being dramatic. And some shut up women being dramatic. 


Oh you want a wee synopsis? Here we go...


Based on the doomed 1845 expedition to the Arctic, The Frozen Deep is a dramatic tale of vengeance and self-sacrifice. Exchanging vows of love with sailor Frank Aldersley the night before his departure, Clara Burnham is haunted by the memory of Richard Wardour, and his mistaken belief that they will one day marry. On different ships, the two men have no cause to meet—until disaster strikes and they find themselves united by their battle for survival. (Goodreads)


At 100 pages, it's a fun little romp, but definitely not the full-on Wilkie. You'll have to join us for The Woman in White for that!


And if you'd like to learn more about the history of The Frozen Deepread this. Dickens had his hand ALL in this play!





Pub. Date: July 2004
Publisher: Hesperus Press
Format: E-book
ISBN: 1843910942 
Source: Bought it!

27 comments:

  1. An Arctic expedition would not be my idea of fun. To bad you missed out on the Wilkie feeling but glad you enjoyed the book. Good luck with The Woman in White!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! So far I'm really enjoying The Woman in White so so so much! It's a very well-fleshed novel, so it's making up for what The Frozen Deep lacked.

      Delete
  2. I loved the melodrama of this but I do wish Wilkie had made it into a full novel. I think there is enough there to do so and who wouldn't love a novel about arctic adventures?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen sister! Wouldn't it have been fascinating???

      Delete
  3. That cover makes me think of the books at Hogwarts. I don't think the book is for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, yes, it does have that Hogwarty feeling, for sure. :)

      Delete
  4. That is so cool. I also have seen Christmas tree pictures where the lights twinkle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh fun! This one magically popped up in Google+. Pretty nifty!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like our thoughts were pretty much the same!

    My picture didn't do that. *pout*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was going to ask about the snow...
    It's weird how everyone (including me!) seems to be reading this at the moment. Less weird that everyone agrees Wilkie should have made it into a full-length novel.
    Still, I liked it quite a lot, especially because of the whole Richard Wardour/Sydney Carton thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This readalong has really brought a lot of readers around to this one, which makes me happy. And I hadn't thought of it but there is definitely a Sydney Carton, selflessness and self-sacrifice thing going on. Thanks, Dickens!

      Delete
  7. I agree about wanting more! I was DYING to know more about what happened out on the ice. And, yes, melodrama. Looks like a bit of it rubbed off on me ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, nothing wrong with that. I felt quite melodramatic about it myself.

      Delete
  8. I really really like how it's snowing in the cover! I haven't read Wilkie for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, me too! Wilkie is fun. Looking forward to reading more.

      Delete
  9. Hahaha, you never figured out how you'd made it snow on the cover? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't do it! lol I actually got a message from Google+ that "my image was ready" and magically it was snowing. Weird! Must be the G+ fairies. lol

      Delete
  10. I'm excited to tackle my first Wilkie with you! #WilkieWinter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm excited that you're joining!

      Delete
  11. It's too bad this suffers from its beginnings as a play because the premise is definitely intriguing! Also, I love that your copy of the book is snowing :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm digging the interactive cover!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm always so excited to see people spreadin' love for Wilkie. His stuff is so much fun. I agree with your assessment of it as a "fun little romp."

    If you end up enjoying Woman in White, maybe you'll be up to try Armadale at some point-- it's one of my top favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Heehee I'm loving the snowing cover! Shame this book wasn't quite as good or Wilkie-esque as hoped :/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I still haven't even read Woman in White! Google+ is trying to show everyone we should use it more with the cool snowing book cover graphic, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the snowing cover - how cool is that! So, I'm not too terribly intrigued by this book because I just have a hard time getting into those arctic settings. I won't be joining in the Woman in White readalong as I read it a few years ago but I'm sure you guys are going to have fun. Great book.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The snowing cover is a bit Harry Potter-ish! I want one!!

    This one was my first experience with Wilkie. I was not disappointed, but you do have me curious from your comments about what a typical Wilkie is. I'm hoping to finally start The Woman in White next week, so I guess I will find out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik