Monday, January 27, 2014

The Woman in White, Epoch 1! #WilkieWinter

Welcome to the first week of discussion of The Woman in White! You can head over to the Estella Society for the official questions and link-up and stuff. I'll just be posting my own thoughts here.

This is my second attempt at The Woman in White, no fault of the book's or Wilkie's. While the first section is relatively slow in that good ole Victorian way we're probably familiar with, I still enjoyed the rich writing and the characterization.

What did I not like so much? ROTATING NARRATORS! If you've been around this blog for a bit, you'll know this is a huge peeve of mine in any literature...contemporary, classic, whatev. Given, the way Wilkie has constructed this novel, it works, I admit, but I was pretty darn resistant to leaving Hartright and setting out with Gilmore. I was much more amenable to leaving Gilmore and joining Marian.

So how's about those characters? I could kick Mr. Fairlie in the teeth. Same goes for Sir Percival Glyde. I do feel sorry for Laura but I wish she'd grow a set. But then Marian wouldn't SHINE nearly as much as she does. I just love her. And I admit, I cackled out loud when, upon meeting Marian, Hartright admits that she's downright ugly. It was just so...blunt! But it's still a bummer that the one woman with a keen intellect and raging sense of self has to be an ogre. How Victorian stereotype can we get, y'all? But there I go again laying my contemporary expectations on a novel written in the 1800s. Phooey.

Anyway, I'm off and running on Epoch 2, and I can't wait for some more stuff to happen. I have a feeling now that Wilkie has laid the groundwork of this marital conundrum, things are really going to take off in this next section.

Onward!

Check out all the luscious Wilkie in Winter goodness over at The Estella Society.


9 comments:

  1. I still have not started this book, but I plan to this week! As soon as I get caught up, I will post or comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, you are sooooo different from me. I love the rotating narrators -- that's by far my favorite thing about Wilkie Collins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with Jenny. I love that we get the different perspectives and the first-hand accounts.

      Delete
  3. It's funny-I like the first Epoch more than the second, love the rotating narrators, and dislike ALL the characters (well, I like some of the minor ones).

    ReplyDelete
  4. THIS: "I do feel sorry for Laura but I wish she'd grow a set."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must have been the post about this one. I have the book and have tried twice to read it. I have too much going on to read it now but, someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just want to slip something in Mr. Fairlie's tea. He's lucky I'm not the dairy maid at Limmeridge...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha. I'm not a fan of unlikable characters, but I loved your list of all the annoying people in this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so weird that you think this one is Victorian-slow because I think Collins is a rare exception to that rule and usually reads quickly and easily, especially in this novel. I can totally see the readers of the time simply devouring his stories.
    As for the characters, I thought the very end of the Epoch where Marian raised her voice and slammed Fairlie's door was the funniest thing ever. I know I couldn't have resisted yelling at him for that long! He's such an ass.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik