Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Where'd You Go, Bernadette?

Welp, this might be the surprise o'the year. I had absolutely no intention to read Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple because I didn't particularly like her first book, This One is Mine, and the premise didn't really blow my skirt up. But when I found myself out of town with no book to read, I snatched this one up in hopes of a quick, light read.

The first surprise for me is that I actually really enjoyed this book. The second surprise is that it was more impressively written than I expected. First, a quickie synopsis since this one has been ALL over the blogosphere...

Bernadette is a formerly famous and lauded architect with social anxiety issues. When her brilliant daughter, Bee, finishes middle school with all A's, Bernadette and her techie husband find themselves planning a trip to Antarctica as a reward. But Bernadette disappears first...

It doesn't sound like much, but Semple has a real way with smart, snarky humor and satire. Her critique of the helicopter mothers at Bee's private school brought on plenty of laughs, as did Bee's intelligence and insightfulness as she tries to piece together her mother's secrets from before the disappearance. 

I really enjoyed getting to know these characters and learning about their deeper motivations. It's easy to write them off as fluffy or insignificant, but as the story unfolded, I was really impressed by what Semple created here. 

Definitely worth a read!

Pub. Date: April 2013
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Format: Trade Paperback 
ISBN: 9780316204262
Source: Bought it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik