Monday, February 03, 2014

CoverHo Recommends: Best Textured Books

So when Jennifer from Book-alicious Mama suggested we do a #coverho post about textured books, I was all agasp with the greatness of that idea. I am a HUGE fan of funky patterns and physical as well as visual texture. It might be my very favorite thing in fashion and decor, so why not books?

I went out and did a little physical recon for these books in a local Barnes and Noble store, and I found some surprises!

Let's start with physical texture. And what I mean is that these books are actually feely. There's a physical texture when you touch them vs. those other books down there (I love them, too!) that just appear textured. 

The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller is much prettier in person. When I pulled it off the shelf at the bookstore, I was really impressed with the pounded copper look of the cover. This representation doesn't do it justice at all, but trust me, it's purdy. 

We, the Drowned by Carsten Jensen is a book I've been drooling over for a while now. The cover is a beautiful, heavy paper with a slight, almost waffle-weave texture to it. Add the beautiful illustrations on top, and it's a tactile good time. 

While I haven't read either of these books by Ben Marcus--Leaving the Sea: Stories and The Flame Alphabet--his people are doing things right with this beautiful visual texture. I'm a sucker for the colors, I'm in love with the overlaid paper texture, and I just want to pet them and hug them and love them. 

And last but certainly not least, I ran across both of these books by complete and utter chance. And what a nice surprise! Both of these fall into that "visual texture" category, as they don't feel particularly special, but the textural look is spot-on. 

Ben Stroud's Byzantium is a book I want to own for its intricate cover and the short stories inside the covers. 

And This Book is Full of Spiders by David Wong is just hilarious. Such a clever cover full of depth and texture. If you zoom in on that bad boy you'll see the texture of the words on the spiders as well as ringing their little book hole there. So fun!

Which textured books flip your switch? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

Images by Freepik