Thursday, February 13, 2014

Literary Love: Books You Still Haven't Read


Everyone has those old standby books that they can whip out of their back pocket and recommend to any and everyone. Today, I have a list of books I LOVE that I've never seen get much love in the blogosphere. And they need more love. Seriously. You...you should love these books.



Little Black Book of Stories by A.S. Byatt is a great place to start OR a great place to go next if you found Possession to be a real beating to read. Byatt's stories are on the longer side (30-50 pages), which means they're better developed than many a short story, and they're just stunning. Definitely give this one a go!

My Reading Life by Pat Conroy is a real treat in the land of books about books. This collection of essays details the way in which this prolific author came to be a reader. Introspective, humorous, and heartbreaking, by turns.

Sherry and Narcotics by Nina-Marie Gardner is a cover nightmare (#coverho), but it's what you'll find between the pages that counts. Sharp, smart writing about a woman spiraling out of control. If you enjoyed Bad Marie but longed for a more likable protagonist, this one is your jam.

The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue was one of the first audiobooks that absolutely swept me away. This is an adventure story full of fantastical elements but still oddly grounded in reality. I think it was the weight of emotion that Donohue injects into this tale that really made it a winner for me.

The Astronaut Wives Club by Lily Koppel got quite a bit of good buzz when it came out, but I've seen it reviewed on very few blogs. It was a detailed and incredibly interesting portrait of the space program, the astronauts and their families, as well as the era.

19 comments:

  1. I loved the idea of The Stolen Child -- I love a changeling story, and there aren't nearly enough of them out there! -- but in execution, I don't know! It didn't quite do it for me! Graham Joyce's Some Kind of Fairy Tale was along soooooooort of similar lines and worked a lot better for me.

    I don't know what my answers to this would be! I have so many recommendable books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many books coming out all the time, it's so easy for even good ones to get lost these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally want to read The Astronaut's Wives Club, especially after just reading and loving The Wives of Los Alamos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Astronaut Wives is officially on my list. I've been on a streak of astronaut/space books lately, that will be a welcomed edition!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read any of these!! The Byatt short stories sound amazing and I'm in the mood for short stories these days it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've only read one of those and only own one other.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am reading Astronaut Wives now. It's different. It's very Stepford Wives. I can't believe some of the stuff that went on and what these women were expected to put up with.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I have the Pat Conroy on my Kobo. I will have to look. The Stolen Child was really good. I haven't read his other book(s) and keep wanting to reread that one, but haven't yet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the Astronaut Wives on my shelf, bought it last summer and have chatted with the author. I'm interested in Pat Conroy's books too. I like this list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Little Black Book of Stories it is - Possession kicked my butt but I strangely liked it. Byatt makes you work, but I'm ok with that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know what? The only one of these I’ve heard of is My Reading Life (probably because it’s Pat Conroy) and I completely forgot about it until you reminded me. So, THANK YOU because it’s now back on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I KNOW I should read more short stories but I just can't seem to make myself!! I do love that Byatt cover, though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post! I definitely have books like this too, where I'd just love to see them get a bit more love :) The Astronaut Wives Club is one of yours which is on my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Astronaut's Wives Club sounds like just the followup I need to 'Packing for Mars'!

    Thanks for linking up with Spread the Love! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wanted to be an astronaut when I was a kid. Of course, I also wanted to be a broadcast journalist, a doctor and a vet. I had heard a little about the Astronauts Wives Club, thanks for reminding me that I had wanted to read it!

    I hope you will stop by and share up to 3 of your favorite posts with my Small Victories Sunday linky that is open all week! Thanks!

    http://momssmallvictories.com/small-victories-sunday-7-one-make-comeback/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have not read a single one of these! Adding the Conroy to my TBR list because I always enjoy reading about authors reading. Great topic!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have The Astronaut Wives Club in my stacks, as well as on audio. Did you know that ABC is going to produce a limited drama series based on the book? Mad Men meets The Right Stuff. :) Should be good. Maybe.

    I love Pat Conroy and have no excuse for not picking up his book about reading. Must do something about that!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I need to read ALL of these! I've requested Astronauts Club already from the library.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have the Pat Conroy book but haven't made the time for it yet. I need to get on it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik