Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Literary Love: Top Ten Books to Make You Swoon

Are you writing about anything literary and lovey this week? Link your posts below!

I love a book that will make me swoon! (I'm playing fast and loose with the definition of swoon!) And so this Top Ten Tuesday prompt fits right in with Literary Love 2014. Get your smelling salts! Some are steamy, some are salty, some are sad, and some will provoke ALL THE FEELS.

 

I'm not much of a romancey reader, but there have been a few books with the loving element that have really stuck with me over the years. 

In Her Shoes, by Jennifer Weiner, was a delight. This story of sisters at odds has some fun sexytimes, quirky characters, and it's highly relatable (for me, earlier in life). Chick lit with heft. A winner. 

Bet Me, by Jennifer Crusie, left me incapable of looking at donuts the same. Ever again. Just read it. 

Outlander, by Diana Gabaldon, has it all. Adventure, sexytimes, stinky Scottsmen. Swords. War. It'll grab you by the hair and refuse to let go. 


Atonement, by Ian McEwan, has a twist. I KNEW what the twist was, and it still left me in a pile of heaving sobs. 

Cold Mountain, by Charles Frazier, was one of those books that I found slow to start, but he has damn-near unparalleled storytelling ability. I loved the friendships between the women and the palpable sense of longing. 



Madame Bovary, by Gustave Flaubert, is chock-full of people doing stupid things, but I still felt swoony at times. Sometimes provoked by bouncing carriages, sometimes by the grossness of death. This may be a big long classic, but it was a hell of a read.

Sister Carrie, by Theodore Dreiser, is an instance of American literary realism, and boy can Dreiser be crappy to his characters. Poor Carrie moves to the city and life kicks her in the crotch. But all the misery and detestableness is fun to experience on the page. 


Garden Spells, by Sarah Addison Allen, is a southern delight! I enjoyed this book from the first page with its magical realism and yumminess. 

Our Town, by Thornton Wilder, is an all-time favorite play. The last pages leveled me. Mostly because I'd seen that bit acted out on My So-Called Life as a teen. How's that for a flashback?

   


And finally, you know I had to include a book of short stories! I'm going with You Know When the Men Are Gone, by Siobhan Fallon. These tales of military life were sad! But oh so sensitive and well-written. 

A weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish!









34 comments:

  1. Garden Spells were recommended to me just yesterday. I need to read Atonement and Madame Bovary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Garden Spells is a lovely, light magical book. It's one I'd like to re-read soon. And Atonement and Madame Bovary are dramatic and stunning!

      Delete
  2. Atonement.That book kills me and makes me swoon and the movie is amazing and I will gush gush gush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I haven't seen the movie yet. I don't know what's wrong with me. :)

      Delete
  3. You've made me very curious about doughnuts and Bet Me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! It's worth a read to find out!

      Delete
  4. Aw, In Her Shoes. I need to read that! I absolutely loved the movie and have watched it a dozen times. It doesn't make me cry or anything. Definitely not. :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's one particularly sexy scene with a ROMANCE NOVEL in that movie that makes me swoony. The book was fun and touching.

      Delete
  5. I included Dragonfly In Amber on my list - but, really, ANY in this amazing series would qualify. It's all about Jamie. :)

    TTT @ Krista's Dust Jacket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right....any of the books (I've read through number 4) would be great on this list!

      Delete
  6. Great selection! And I love that you had a shout out to My So Called Life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I had to get it in there!

      Delete
  7. Oh! I really need to read Garden Spells. I STILL haven't read anything by Addison. Nice list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her books are SO FUN. Definitely a great pick-me-up if you need a quick, magical read.

      Delete
  8. So many great reads here! I still have such fond memories of Garden Spells, and I simply must get Allen's new one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I can't wait to read Lost Lake!

      Delete
  9. Atonement! Yesss... even my Pharaoh's heart was softened by Atonement, I too, need to see the movie. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't it wonderful? McEwan is just fantabulous. I loved On Chesil Beach, too.

      Delete
  10. WHATTTT??? I've read none of those????

    Although I'm so with you on the feels and the swoon. Anything to make me feel the feels is a good book in my book. Oy. . . that was a confusing comment. . . oh well! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. REBECCA! You would love several of these, in my opinion! And I totally get your confusing comment. lol

      Delete
  11. Atonement is a great one. I actually saw the movie first and I didn't love it. I'm so glad I read the book anyway!

    Must. Read. Outlander. Soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you read the book, too! Sometimes seeing the movie first can really kill a book for me, so I'm glad you had better luck. Outlander is a great time if you don't take it too seriously. Or expect it to be too serious.

      Delete
  12. I am enjoying reading all these lists. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I only put The Peach Keeper on my list, but any Sarah Addison Allen book will do. And of course, OUTLANDER. Can't forget that one. Whew. Jamie, Jamie, Jamie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked The Peach Keeper a lot, but I think my two faves are still Garden Spells and The Girl Who Chased the Moon. Still need to read The Sugar Queen, actually.

      And ohhhh Outlander! So awesome.

      Delete
  14. It's like you're in my head! (At least for the ones on this list I've read. Everything else I'd probably love, because you're on my wavelength.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great list! I think I want to read all of the books you listed. And I had no idea My So-Called Life was based on Our Town.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lots of love on that list! Haven't checked out Outlander yet. So since it's on your list it looks like I better, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  17. IN HER SHOES has been on my TBR for so long. Too long. I love the movie- so I'm not sure why I haven't bought book.

    And you are like the millionth person to talk about OUTLANDER series. Confession: STILL haven't read. #someonesgoingtotakemybooklovercard

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now I feel like a stone cold bitch - I wanted to slap so many of the characters in so many of those books! Outlander is coming up for me soon - I'm so hoping to swoon over it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've been wanting to read Cold Mountain for awhile now and with this list, you might have just tipped me over the edge!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved In Her Shoes and the first six Outlanders! I CANNOT WAIT for the mini-series!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I NEED to read You Know When the Men Have Gone. Everytime I see someone mention it I can't believe I still haven't read it. Oh and Atonement. I didn't see it coming and OMG. I'll never forget how I felt at that moment. My heart may as well have exploded. Same with Cold Mountain.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik